IGNORED

SPOT

Skywagon

I have decided I want a SPOT. Any advice on which unit to buy and where to buy it from. Are all the prices the same.

Thanks.

SPOT says they've made some performance improvements in their new SPOT 2. Also, it's a little more compact and comes with a fancy strap-on holster. To me they seem to perform about equally well.

I've recently seen some attractive prices on the first gen. device, but I bought both of mine from the local REI at their "retail" price - no discount but convenient and with good warranties. I think the SPOT 2 may still be scarce so you may have to wait for decent price discounting.

Instead of complaining about my occasional absence, my wife is much more accepting now and seems to get a kick out of tracking my trip progress. And that's a very good thing!

Starfighter

Karen and I participated in a search for a missing rider up in Montana and really saw the value of this device.

I got the Spot 2 (be sure to visit their site to be able to identify the box with the upgraded Spot 2..extended battery life..)

I couldn't be happier with it. A great tool.

I used it on a trip across the U.S. and friends were able to "tag along."

Yep, I got one too, the original model and my wife is quite pleased that I can check in without having to make a big production out of stopping to take off my helmet, call etc.

Tap the button and ride on.

I have and use the SPOT 1.

The SPOT 2 was recalled due to a design problem regarding battery life. They think they have it sorted out and plan to return the recalled units and begin selling the SPOT 2 again a few weeks... maybe already have.

My information comes from a chat with customer service last week.

I like it, as does my family. When the opportunity arises, I plan to purchase the SPOT 2... I might be interested in selling my SPOT 1...

skinny_tom (aka boney)

For those who are interested in the tracking feature, the advantage of the Spot2 is that it rebroadcasts the last two track points with each new one. This makes for a more complete trail.

I'm sure there's other updates as well.

I have a Gen 1 and it's not likely I'll replace it until there's deals to be found on the new ones.

Archived