IGNORED

Helmet Advise Needed...

FLTRI

I'm looking for a couple of new helmets for my wife and I. We are currently riding with KBC modular helmets, but the wind noise is killing both of us...

I'd like to find another relatively lightweight modular helmet that the chin bar and face shield seal better on. A removable, washable liner is a must have as well. Suggestions (with links, if possible) appreciated...

TIA

Dan

Some helmets have a chin spoiler, a removable piece of soft material which can cut down the amount of noise generated by airflow.

I think the newer Nolans have that, but there are others.

No personal experience w/this one, but it does show what I'm talking about.

Gust Guard

gOOGLE is yo friend....

Search Helmet City & eBay for Arai & Shoei

Premium stuff...many sales right now.

Dennis Andress

I assume by modular helmet you mean a flip-up?

My experience is

• Flip-ups are louder than a normal full face.
  • Removable liners are rare.
  • Nolan helmets have always been loud.
  • Schulberth helmets are built like a tank. High quality They are hard to put speakers and mic in. Parts are hard to come by.
  • The Shoei Multitec is the quietest flip-up I've found. Sizes run a little big.

Helmet noise is going to be there. Buy earplugs.

No hijack intended here - just reinforcing what Dennis said, "Buy earplugs." I have a Nolan 102 and the wind noise is very loud. A friend gave me a set of cheap earplugs and I was amazed at the difference in noise reduction. I immediately bought a set of earplugs moulded to my ears and the noise reduction was even better! I had to turn up the XM and GPS volumes a bit, but the music even sounds better now! I would whole-heartedly endorse the use of earplugs.

Helmet noise can be caused by the helmet design, but it is also a function of improper sealing, mostly around the neck area. No one can advise you as to which helmet will be the quietest for you, although some helmets are known for that feature. Still, it's how the helmet fits that will be the biggest factor in reducing wind noise.

I would go with a brand that has a good reputation for being more quiet than others. Then I'd make sure that it sealed well around my neck. To help with this, NOJ makes a helmet skirt that helps quiets things a bit. But that should be your last resort.

I did some looking a few years back for a quiet helmet and I don't think they exist. I ended up with a Arai Profile and it really fits my long oval noggin. The liner mostly comes out, but what remains still gets washed in the sink. As for noise, it is loud. Not at all quiet as BikeWebWorld reported. Probably due to differences of airflow.

I could probably fix the problem with a bigger wind shield or another helmet, but that just isn't happening. I'd rather spend $$ for other things.

My winter project has been related to getting less noise in my helmet. At the moment, I only have baseline noise measurements. My measurements are computed from recorded sound next to my ear. I download the wave file to my computer and did some spectral analysis. With this, I cannot tell you what the sound level really is, but I can show that the helmet sound pressure at 200Hz is 40dB higher at 80mph (windshield down) than the same frequency idling at a set of lights on a busy street. Using typical sound pressure tables, you might be able to conclude that my helmet has over 100dBSPL at 80mph. Hearing damage occurs above 85dB. So with poor ear plugs, my ears are still at risk.

But I have a plan. Hopefully it pans out and I can get some of the wind noise down. Stay tuned . . .

Helmet noise can be caused by the helmet design, but it is also a function of improper sealing, mostly around the neck area. No one can advise you as to which helmet will be the quietest for you, although some helmets are known for that feature. Still, it's how the helmet fits that will be the biggest factor in reducing wind noise.

Helmet fit and seal around the chin and neck has a great effect on wind noise. I'm not sure I would say it is the biggest factor, but it is a source of noise. My old Roadstar had airflow by my neck that caused horrid noise due to this. Just for kicks, stuff the cracks with foam and take a ride. See if it makes a difference. I can tell you that my RT does not have airflow issues near my neck. But, yours might.

I think a lot of RT owners fix the wind noise problem with an aftermarket wind shield and good earplugs.

Try this. Lightly place your hands over the sides (where the shield pivots) of the helmet when driving 60-80mph. Better yet, have your wife do it. Tell me how quiet it gets.

For me, it is a LOT quieter. It could be air vibrating the side caps or simply air turbulents. I think it is the latter.

Regarding a removable liner...

Just wear a do rag under the helmet, or one of the commercial substitutes. They can be thin enough to have no effect on the fit. Throw the do rag in the wash once a week and the inside of the helmet will look brand new after years of use. I know from experience.

Check this website: www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm -

They test helmets. All helmets are tradeoffs. Price, weight, noise, comfort. The people test helmets and comment on those and other factors. Buy the helmet that most nearly fits your needs.

+1 on earplugs.

Karl

CThey test helmets. All helmets are tradeoffs. Price, weight, noise, comfort. The people test helmets and comment on those and other factors. Buy the helmet that most nearly fits your head.....

Seriously -- it doesn't matter what reviewers say; if a helmet doesn't fit your head, it's not a good helmet for you.

+1 for the Nolan N103 N-Com. We love 'em but, as others have stated, you really need to try each manufacturer helmet on to see if they are a good fit for your noggin!

I'm partial to Shoei helmets. Has the features you highlighted. What I really like about this helmet is the lip on the shield that creates a great seal and keeps wind out.

You can also get different size cheek pads to help with fit.

But the guys above are correct. Buy the one that fits you the best and if you have to, fix the noise problem with ear plugs.

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?RF-1100&h=18&t=1

Thanks Fellas, good advise all around.

Reference ear plugs, I really don't want to go that route. I have an aversion to decreasing one of my senses while riding.

The noise that is causing my issue is coming from the gaps on KBC around the face shield and the chin bar. At 70, it's actually quieter if I lift the whole front of the helmet and go 3/4. I don't think the noise is coming from under the helmet, so sealing the chin probably wouldn't help.

I prefer to ride with the windshield fairly low so I'm looking over, rather than through the acrylic, with the slip stream just slightly over the top of my helmet.

What I need is a modular helmet that really "seals" when its closed, and doesn't whistle...

How about a Nolan N103 like mine Dan? If you wear a large and want to give it a try lets go for a ride and swap lids for a bit.

http://www.compacc.com/p.cfm/c/1201002/p/19850

The liner slips out and is washable quite easily, and IMO it is no more loud than my regular FF Scorpion was. I do wear those custom earmold earplugs though...

Thanks Glenn, I'd like to try it out. I wear a 7 1/4" which hovers between large and medium depending on the manufacturer.

Just be sure that new dirt bike of yours can keep up... :grin:

LeftCoastMan

The safety of your head should be the only consideration you have for a helmet. If it's noisy, wear ear plugs. If it's too hot, consider one that vents well.

The OP should start with the safest possible helmet, then try to fix the other issues the best way you can.

Just replaced a Nolan 103 with a Shoei multech. Much quieter. Still use the "big Ear" earplugs or Shure noise cancelling earphones. Went to Calif Sport Touring and they let me try different models. The Shoei was quieter than the Arai Vector. A lot of this depends upon the bike (R1200RT) and the windshield. Best advice, try it first.

Elmer

I have owned many many helmets over 40+ years and IMHO Arai is the way to go. Not the quietest but fit form and function are unsurpassed. Get a better windshield and earplugs if necessary for the wind noise.

Archived