IGNORED

Wheel/tyre balanc

SinNH

I've been spin balancing my new tyres for quite some time now,just mounted a pair of Avon Storms for the first part of the upcoming season,and once again I had to stick on almost three ounces of weight.

Jeez,three ounces.

Wheel alone spins out fine.

Years past a quarter ounce or a half,the last ten pairs of tires I balanced, a quarter of the wheel was stick-on weights. :grin:

No light weight mark on the Avon to go by.

All my balance jobs feel great at speed,so I guess I am asking is this a quality control issue with the tire companies ?

I use Avons,Metzlers,Conti's and Bridgstone.

Anybody else see this ?

Can't wait to ride.

thx Steve

Steve, that sure sounds like a lot of weight on a motorcycle tire.. I seldom balance my motorcycle tires as I do the wheels alone without a tire installed then usually just install a tire, match the mounting dot then ride.. I just did 2 tires on my 1200RT this week & had the wheel balancer out for another project so decided to check them.. Neither front or rear needed any additional weight over what I had on the bare wheel to balance them (Z-6’s)..

Even my big ol lunker rear tire on my GoldWing seldom takes more than an ounce or so over initial bare wheel balance (not enough to worry about as it will only do about 120 mph)..

I suppose you need to add what you need to add,, it just sounds like rather poor tire quality control if you need 3 ounces to make it spin true..

Twisty

Joe Frickin' Friday

I've seen tires with no light-spot mark take a bunch of weight like that before.

Tape the weight on temporarily to achieve balance. If it seems like a lot of weight, take it off, break the bead, rotate the tire a quarter turn around the rim, reseat/reinflate/rebalance. Should take less weight.

Mitch, that rotating the tire works great on an imperfect rim but he said his bare rim spun up with good basic balance.. So that would point to the tire as the issue therefore rotating it would just move the 3 ounces to another place..

We run into that in the auto industry.. In the old days of stamped steel rims we would match mount the tire to the wheel (light spot to heavy spot).. Now with all the those nice (re perfect) machined alloy wheels there is no low or high or light or heavy spot to match an imperfect tire to so wheel disturbance has become a real issue..

We (the auto industry) has tried for years to get the wheel manufacturers to machine slightly out of perfect wheels so we can again match mount tires but the wheel manufacturers want a whole lot more money to make crooked wheels (go figure)..

Twisty

Archived