IGNORED

GPS bluetooth confusion

beemerFROG

OK, I know there are a ton of threads on GPS and yes I have looked through them... yet I am still confused.

I want a GPS for my RT. I already have an XM radio hooked into my Autocom and love it. I would like to get a GPS that would allow me to add a phone to the mix. (LG shine) I keep looking at the Nuvi 765 with bluetooth, but am confused on how it would work (or if).

-The phone connects to the nuvi with bluetooth

-what connections are available to connect the nuvi to the autocom? I know that I can connect the headphone jack for the music and for the directions voice, but what about the mic for the phone?

-can this only work with a bluetooth compatible helmet?

What am I not seeing?

Thanks in advance for for any help.

Firefight911

Simple diagram, explanation for a Zumo, Autocom set up -

The Zumo has two Bluetooth devices within it. Your phone bluetooths to the Zumo and this gives you phone control (contacts, caller ID, etc.).

Your Autocom connects to your GPS for phone voice via an Autocom Bluetooth dongle. Not positive on the Nuvi but the Zumo has two options within the setup for control of voice. It can be phone only through Bluetooth or phone and navigation, mp3, XM through the dongle. My setup is to hard wire everything and use the dongle for phone only as the clarity is much better hard wired.

In the absence of an Autocom you can have a bluetooth enabled helmet headset and set the default for all your audio inputs.

Does that help?

Uh...are any of the Nuvi series waterproof? Water resistant? You will need to keep a pocket full of those little elasticized clear plastic shower caps they (used) to give out free with every hotel room stay. Kind of a PIA but if you haven't bought the GPS yet it might worth thinking about a more dedicated unit...

Just a thought to add to the confusion over GPS, Bluetooth, Autocom, etc...:-)

Jim

Thanks Phil & Jim,

Yeah, I do know that they do NOT like water, but that isn't a huge issue with me. This is replacing a 2620 that was just great, until it slid off the dash of my wifes car and into the gear shift... CRACK! I would love to get a cycle specific model, but the cost difference I can't swing. I know I can get a used 26xx-28xx on ebay, but for the same money, if not a little cheaper, I can get a refurbished 765 for $199. Loose the waterproof but get lane assist, mp3, 3-d buildings, "where am I", bluetooth, and so on. Ideally I would like XM, but I have a stand alone unit and feel that getting my phone hooked up is more important. Than comes the issue of having an autocom (which has ALWAYS worked great)and the lack of available parts. Do I keep adding to a system from a company that has sunk?

Autocom has not sunk...just changed owners, and although they are lacking a US distributor at this time, parts are available easily thru the UK manufacturer. I know, I just ordered some yesterday, and they will be here by Weds or Thurs next week.

The link is: http://www.autocom.co.uk/

But I just called them direct, 011 44 1480 49-4444, their hours are from 0900-1730 and there is 6hrs time difference ( Eastern DST ) until March 28th when they also go to DST.

Jim

PS Thats some nice work on the 'wood' Douglas...real craftsmanship!

terryofperry

I run a 765T with a Blackberry bluetoothed to the 765T.

The 765T is hardwired to a Starcom1 and everything works well.

Kinda a pain to set up volume for the phone but finally got it.

I know the 765T is not waterproof but I can buy 2 or 3 for the Zumo price. Replaced a 2610 with the 765T. The 2610 was much more user configurable and I do miss that. I like the more sensitive receiver in the 765T and the maps are supported better.

Just did not have the funds for the Zumo and wanted a wide screen.

Terry

Archived