IGNORED

Anyone know how to transfer breadcrumbs from a nuvi 550 to Mapsource?

FLrider

I've been on few rides where the lead bike takes some routes that I am unfamiliar with but make for an interesting ride.

I'd like to record the route for future use.

I think my Nuvi 550 records my "tracks" because there's a button in the menu that references tracks.

I just don't know how to get the tracks off the nuvi and onto the 550. Anyone know?

FLrider, I’m not familiar with the Nuvi but if like the others can’t you use MapSource to simply import the tracks?

After you hook your Nuvi to the computer then open MapSource can’t you just click the down arrow (receive from device) at the top of the MapSource then put a check mark in TRACKS then click receive..

That should not only import the track(s) but the bread crumbs on the tracks..

Added: again not sure on the Nuvi but on my Zumo 550 I also have the option of converting the tracks to routes right on the GPS..

Twisty

FLrider, I’m not familiar with the Nuvi but if like the others can’t you use MapSource to simply import the tracks?

After you hook your Nuvi to the computer then open MapSource can’t you just click the down arrow (receive from device) at the top of the MapSource then put a check mark in TRACKS then click receive..

That should not only import the track(s) but the bread crumbs on the tracks..

The nuvi allows me to convert the tracks to a route and it saves that route onto the nuvi.

While I can transfer files (routes) FROM mapsource to the nuvi, it won't allow me to go from nuvi to mapsource. Using the same sequence in mapsource, clicking "send to" instead of "receive from", I get some error message.

Interestingly enough, the manual tells you how to RECEIVE, from mapsource but it makes no mention of sending.

Maybe it has something to do with the file format of the nuvi.

I wonder if I can send it to a google maps or something like that first and then to mapsource.

I'll try that. If anyone knows how to do this, I would appreciate an assist.

Added: again not sure on the Nuvi but on my Zumo 550 I also have the option of converting the tracks to routes right on the GPS..

Twisty

FLrider, does you Nuvi take an SD card or other extra storage card? If so can you export the tracks to the card then remove that & pop it in your computer then transfer into MapSouce?..

Anyway handling & transferring routes & tracks (if even possible) should be in the owners manual that came with your device..

As far as sending the tracks or even routes to a different program like Google mapping or the like I can’t believe that would be any better than MapSource as MapSource should be the easiest of the bunch..

Are you sure MapSource is finding the correct drive in/for your Nuvi, does MapSource show the Nuvi in the DEVICE box?

Anything in your manual about saving the tracks already in the Nuvi as routes? I have that option on my Zumo 550..

Twisty

FLrider, does you Nuvi take an SD card or other extra storage card? If so can you export the tracks to the card then remove that & pop it in your computer then transfer into MapSouce?..

Anyway handling & transferring routes & tracks (if even possible) should be in the owners manual that came with your device..

As far as sending the tracks or even routes to a different program like Google mapping or the like I can’t believe that would be any better than MapSource as MapSource should be the easiest of the bunch..

Are you sure MapSource is finding the correct drive in/for your Nuvi, does MapSource show the Nuvi in the DEVICE box?

Anything in your manual about saving the tracks already in the Nuvi as routes? I have that option on my Zumo 550..

Twisty

There is a micro SD card in the nuvi and I did remove that, inserted it into my pc but there was no data on it.

I know the saved tracks are on the nuvi somewhere because I saved the track as a route and I can see the route on my "custom routes" tab of the nuvi.

Like I said, the manual does address transferring data INTO the nuvi, but not FROM the nuvi to anything else.

Just wierd. I'll play with it some more.

FLrider, I wish I knew more about the Nuvi so could be of more help to you.. There won’t be anything on the SD card unless you put it there,, either from MapSouce,, or your computer,, or transfer to the SD from your Nuvi..

Can you find any sort or export function on the Nuvi? Maybe under a menu like “manage trip log” or under “user data”..

I’ll bet a phone call to Garmin tec line (very first thing in the morning to get through) would get you pointed to the way to do it if your Nuvi has the option..

Twisty

FLrider, I wish I knew more about the Nuvi so could be of more help to you.. There won’t be anything on the SD card unless you put it there,, either from MapSouce,, or your computer,, or transfer to the SD from your Nuvi..

Can you find any sort or export function on the Nuvi? Maybe under a menu like “manage trip log” or under “user data”..

I’ll bet a phone call to Garmin tec line (very first thing in the morning to get through) would get you pointed to the way to do it if your Nuvi has the option..

Twisty

Yeah, I appreciate your efforts. I removed the sd card from the nuvi and the saved routes were still there, so the data is on the nuvi hard drive. There is absolutely no mechanism to transfer data on the nuvi to the sd card, on the nuvi.

I did contact Garmin. They told me that data on the nuvi drive should export (transfer) to mapsource. They said my problem was all the temp files in my c: drive. So I deleted all those, rebooted and tried again. Same message.

Very frustrating. Oh well, at least I know (thanks to you) that I can convert tracks to a route on the nuvi and capture the ride.

I just wanted to import into mapsource to edit the ride.

I'll figure it out. Thanks.

Archived