IGNORED

Garmin maps

SinNH

thx in advance ,again.

Does anyone know if the Garmin City Navigator NA NT lists campgrounds in the included POI's?

And being as I'm interested in snowmobile trails,would I be better off getting one of the Topo maps Garmin sells?

thx

Steve

Yes, it does list campgrounds. The TOPOs may be useful for real "off road" adventures either on a bike or snowmobile. I use both.

Yes, it does list campgrounds. The TOPOs may be useful for real "off road" adventures either on a bike or snowmobile. I use both.

johnlt,thx,, do you buy the CD's?

There all also a number of sites that let you download campsite POI's(points of interest)to your gps.

Do an internet search.

JR356

Look at the Nuvi 500 / 550. I think the 500 has topo maps. I use mine skiing in the backcountry, and while it's not quite as nice as a 7 1/2 minute USGS topo map, they're pretty dang close. I would think the maps would be more than suitable for a snowmobile outing.

The campgrounds, while they are in there, can be a bit counter intuitive. They are lumped in with the motel/hotel listings. So you gotta rummage through the holiday inns, econo lodges, etc. to find your campground. I find it easier to keep them listed in a custom poi file. Take a look at poifactory.com - there's no end to the custom lists of stuff that people put together and post there. And it's all free.

Thanks all for the input.

I've got a lot to learn about GPS's,I was hoping to find a map for my CSX60 that "would do it all" for me, a better road map that the very basic "base map" that came with the unit,campgrounds and snowmobile trails.

I have downloaded campgrounds from poifactory.com but I need a better road map,I was hoping to find a "all in one".

Steve

I use that gps on my dual sport bike. Seem to be able to get adequate detail from Map Source by downloading selected areas and making sure the setting on the gps is such that it will display that greater detail in zoom. Don't remember how I did that but fool around with it and you should be able to find what I am referencing. I like that gps for DS use.

I use that gps on my dual sport bike. Seem to be able to get adequate detail from Map Source by downloading selected areas and making sure the setting on the gps is such that it will display that greater detail in zoom. Don't remember how I did that but fool around with it and you should be able to find what I am referencing. I like that gps for DS use.

Tom,

Are you saying that there is a way to download the maps that are on "Trip and Waypoint Manager" disc that came with the unit which are more detailed than the base map in the device without purchasing another map?

I know I'm stupid :S

Tom,

Are you saying that there is a way to download the maps that are on "Trip and Waypoint Manager" disc that came with the unit which are more detailed than the base map in the device without purchasing another map?

You have unlocked the version of the mapping you are refering to?

Tom,

You have unlocked the version of the mapping you are refering to?

Kritou,I hope this makes sense,I have not purchased any additional maps,and it seems like the map on "Mapsource" is more detailed than the basic map that comes on the 60,so I want to download that to the GPS.

Can't find a way,and seems like to me that the Trip and Waypoint manager in Mapsource is "unlockable".

thx

Steve

Archived