IGNORED

Finally made my decision

johnlt

Well, I finally made my decision on which riding suit to get. I’ll tell you the answer now before the story. I’m getting a two piece roadcrafter. Here is how my search has gone. I live near Tucson so a bunch of hot weather riding. I love my Savannah II with the summer riding pants for hot weather but the pants aren’t waterproof and the jacket needs a liner to be waterproof. I got a Bellstaf riding suit and wow, it is warm and very waterproof. A great suit and it worked wonderful for my Prudhoe Bay ride but it is a little too warm in the summer. I had a Darian jacket and pants and sold the jacket because it just looked ugly and was too stiff. Too “industrial” looking and it fit lit a tarp so I sold it. I’ve been looking at the Trailguard and Comfort shell lately and really like the fit and looks of the Trailguard but even though the label says the outside material is “waterproof” they recommend a liner. Talking with owners of the Trailguard, they say that anything more that a 20 minute shower, you need the liner. I spotted a two piece Roadcrafter in the classifieds and bought it. It was a 46 short. It “almost fit”. The jacket fits ok but a little short for me. The pants were way too big so I had them taken in. This setup works fine and is very comfortable but the jacket is still a little too short. I need a “regular” not “short”. I’ve used it for several months and love it. It was at least 10 years old with many miles but no tears or abrasions and very comfortable. Based on being happy with it except for the fit I’m ordering a new one the right size tomorrow and will put this one up for sale on the classifieds. One last alternative: I spotted the new Klim “adventure” suit that is now available. It looks wonderful but it took me a little time to accept $1K for a riding suit and $2K+ is just out of the question so Roadcrafter it is.

John Ranalletta

Good choice. I wear a Savannah II that's showing wear. I had a 2-pc Roadcrafter and loved everything about it, but one winter it shrank, so I sold it. Got to get another.

Your story is similar to mine. Buying a second hand 46R one piece roadcrafter sold me on the suit. I needed a bit more chest room so I sold the one piece and replaced it with a two piece roadcrafter, 48R jacket and 46R pants. Perfect fit! This cost a bit less than a custom one piece and allowed me to get black pants with blue/ black jacket.

Well, I finally made my decision on which riding suit to get. I’ll tell you the answer now before the story. I’m getting a two piece roadcrafter. .......

This setup works fine and is very comfortable but the jacket is still a little too short. I need a “regular” not “short”. I’ve used it for several months and love it. It was at least 10 years old with many miles but no tears or abrasions and very comfortable. Based on being happy with it except for the fit I’m ordering a new one the right size tomorrow and will put this one up for sale on the classifieds. One last alternative: I spotted the new Klim “adventure” suit that is now available. It looks wonderful but it took me a little time to accept $1K for a riding suit and $2K+ is just out of the question so Roadcrafter it is.

Have you checked with Rider Warehouse to see if they can lengthen it? They do all kinds of alterations and may be able to add a piece to the bottom. They used to sell a zip in extra piece that had two zippers and went from jacket to pants.

May be cheaper than selling yours and buying new. Also, they're nice when broken in.

I've got the zip on elipse and it helps but it doesn't lengthen the jacket, just the zip on area so the bottom of the jacket is still a little too high to completely cover the top of the pants and may cause an issue in the rain.

...did ya check with the Aerostich folks? They may be able to lengthen it. They always say they can add material when ever you too, it's making em smaller that they don't like to do.

L

...but one winter it shrank...

heh heh heh... I had that trouble too. Everything shrank that winter. Jeans, shirts, coats... the world is getting smaller every day.

Whip, I did check with Aerostich and that is not one of the things they will do. They have only a "defined" number of alterations that they will do. Anyway, I was looking for an excuse to get a new one so I ordered it this morning. Hopefully I'll be wearing it at BRR.

Archived