IGNORED

China Declares War

RTCHIEF

The Chinese are now making and selling copies of R series BMW side cases. They will accept a BMW tumbler for the lock. You'll have to buy your own Roundels and reflectors. They are priced at $349 plus shipping from China. You can see it all for yourself on fleabay. JON

Its no more than a theory chaps, but do we know where BMW source there panniers from....there is no such thing as a totally european bike anymore, Triumph source from throughout the world, as do other manufacturers. Why not BMW?

LeftCoastMan

I used to source medical product manufacturing to China, Malaysia and Indonesia. What I found was that "you get what you pay for." Let me explain. If you specified a particular cost, you'd get something that met your cost, but maybe not your specifications. If you set your specifications, then they would produce it, not quite at the lowest price, but often lower than you can imagine.

I don't know where the BMW cases are made, they could be made in China or Romania or the US for all I know. BMW has quite high standards, so they will establish the specifications for sub-manufacturers, and pay when the arrive and pass QC standards.

Apple manufactures high quality products, mostly from China. They set the specs, and demand delivery that exceeds those specs. Walmart might not.

There are few manufactured products that are manufactured in one country. I'll bet even Harley buys its steel from China or Korea, electronics from Asia, molded parts from Mexico. BMW probably does the same, though they do pride themselves on being German.

Back on topic, these cases look overpriced given the risk. Now if one of you wants to buy one and test it for the rest, we'll be there with our moral support. I promise.

LeftCoastMan

Did anyone read the feedback for the seller? Well, not only was it near perfect, but as far as I can tell, nearly every single feedback was from a Harley rider. And the items were priced $200 or so and above. Not sure what this tells us, but no one is complaining.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Did anyone read the feedback for the seller? Well, not only was it near perfect, but as far as I can tell, nearly every single feedback was from a Harley rider. And the items were priced $200 or so and above. Not sure what this tells us, but no one is complaining.

Not sure either.

So, are Harley riders more easy going or is their stuff even more overpriced than BMW. There certainly seems to be a glut of HD logo wear out there. :rofl:

LeftCoastMan

Not sure either.

So, are Harley riders more easy going or is their stuff even more overpriced than BMW. There certainly seems to be a glut of HD logo wear out there. :rofl:

I always thought most Harley stuff was chrome. But I guess shiny black ABS plastic works too.

Anyways, the seller seems legitimate and the buyers seem more than satisfied. Buy a pair of them, put on the appropriate stickers and reflectors, to replace damaged bags. Probably not the worst idea I've read on here, although those of us with OCD will probably faint.

eBay seller ratings can be gamed. While I am resigned to buying legitimate products that is manufactured in China, I am not willing to support pirates. $190 shipping charge seems extremely fishy to me.

LeftCoastMan
eBay seller ratings can be gamed. While I am resigned to buying legitimate products that is manufactured in China, I am not willing to support pirates. $190 shipping charge seems extremely fishy to me.

Yes, eBay ratings can be gamed, that's why you need to check the ratings of the buyers. If the vast majority of the buyers have solid ratings, then it's hard to game. The UPS shipping charge seems accurate, given the size and weight.

Pirates? Well, unless BMW has a patent on the case, then it's not pirating. I don't support pirates either, because I'm a firm supporter of intellectual property rights, and China is big offender of those rights. But unless you can show me that BMW has some intellectual property rights for the cases, then this is a legal buy.

If BMW doesn't like this, they'll stop it. It's easy to assert IP rights on eBay and have the listing cancelled. In fact, too easy.

I would like to see someone make some aftermarket cases for the 1200RT, the stock ones are just too darn small in my opinion.

Archived