IGNORED

Mapsource 6.12 doesn't like I-20 in Texas

ElevenFifty

ElevenFifty

Anybody else seen this? It doesn't matter what preferences you set, Mapsource will take you off of I20 at the 1st opportunity.

What's up with that?

Well it's not likely, but go to "Edit > Preferences" and then the "Routing" tab. You'll find a button marked "Advanced" which accesses any route avoidances that are set. If you didn't do it, it's not likely there's any there but may as well check. Also inspect the check boxes above the advanced button to make sure nothing "funny" is checked there in the "Try to avoid" section.

ElevenFifty, it really sounds like a routing selection issue as you might have something still incorrect in the avoidances or road selection..

Try turning off ALL avoidances’,, then set road selection to prefer hi-ways,, then set calculation style to faster time,, then set driving speeds to 75 or so..

Can I ask why you are still using the antique 6.12? That is back in the era of a lot of map source issues.. Maybe try something like 6.13.7 as that version always worked very good for me.. There are a lot of later versions past 6.13.7 but unless you have a fast computer they will slow you down & don’t add that many more functions..

I guess if you are still using Windows 98 then you are stuck it the older MapSource version..

Added: if the avoidances & road selection don’t cure your issues then expand your map to the .2 mile setting & make darn sure you have all your shaping points on the same side of the hi-way.. One of the surest ways to get routed off the freeway or divided hiway is to place a shaping point on the other side of the divided road..

Twisty

ElevenFifty

Thanks guys ... I'm fair to middlin with Mapsource. To the point that before loading up a 3000 mile trip, I usually have Way and via points set so that you can calculate in either Fastest or Shortest mode and still get the same route ... I'm very careful.

I did update to 6.15 on my desktop but it still gets I-20 in TX dead wrong. Try this ... waypoints in Shreveport and Midland, Route these with 'Shorter' ... I get a nice straight shot on I-20. Now change the method to 'Faster' and recalculate. Now the fun begins - try to drag the route back to I-20. Either Garmin knows that I-20 is a very slow road, or there is a big juicy I-20 bug. (at least on my machine and map version)

ElevenFifty

It doesn't matter ... the whole stretch of I-20 from the east Texas border to Midland behaves the same for me ... Garmin WILL NOT stay on I-20 if Fastest is the method selected.

ElevenFifty, I just entered Shreveport as the start and Midland as the end & no matter the route settings my 6.15.7 stays on 20.. I tried 3 different ways then switched to faster & re-calculated & it kept the route on 20..

Try E-Mailing me both your routes & I will plug those into my MapSource & see what happens..

Added: what “map” version are you using? Maybe you have a mapping issue not a MapSource issue..

Twisty

Just tried this too and it stays on I-20 for me as well. One other thing to check (off the wall again), if I set my route preferences vehicle type to "bicycle", it does avoid the interstate. Maybe check to see if you inadvertently set that to something other than "car/motorcycle".

"...check to see if you inadvertently set that to something other than "car/motorcycle"..."

Yeah - make sure you don't have the 'pushing my bike cuz it broke' checked.

Well, mine does some weird things with I-20 in Texas too. I just drove from NC to SE Arizona for a month and both ways it wanted to route me onto the access roads paralleling I-20. It also didn't like that stretch from Midland to El Paso and kept sending me on backroads over to US 180. :dopeslap:

It's not MapSource, it's the map set itself. Mines acted up in that exact area for the last three versions of City Navigator

Archived