IGNORED

System Case Inner Will Not Latch

WrecksDart

Hello folks!

I've got the standard BMW system cases for my 94' R1100RSL, and they've worked nicely for a long time...until now. The left side case no longer likes to latch to the bike. In other words, the inner handle goes down (latching the lid to the bag), but the topmost handle latching the case to the bike doesn't want to click shut. Pressing down on the latch feels like I'm bending something, and I don't want to force it shut and break something (even though the case is unusable otherwise). Watching the claw on the bike-side of the bag as I move the handle only seems to tell me that the interior mechanism has gone awry.

Is there a way to get to the inner workings of the latch mechanism, other than through the lock hole? Is a fix possible on that part of the system case? I'd love to use both sides again...

Thanks for the help,

Ben

Allrighty! Didn't get any hits with that post, so I did my own autopsy of the case in question.

1. Open the case and unsnap the strap that keeps the lid from flopping open to the ground when on the bike.

2. Remove the "hook cushions" on the two inner hooks that pull and secure the lid to the inner case. The hooks are surrounded by rectangular plastic bits that give the lid something soft to squeeze up against, and they're held on with pushpins. Getting the pins out wasn't easy as they had probably been there since the case's creation. Remove these pieces first.

3. Drill out the rivets on the inside top of the case which hold the case handle assembly on the case body. A small electric or hand-powered drill is necessary if you don't own a right-angle attachment for the drill (like me).

4. Once the rivets are out, the handle assembly should slide up and off the case body. Doing this outside is not a bad idea, as my case had a great deal of soot and dust from the 80,000+ miles the cases had been used.

5. Remove the thin plastic covers that hide the inner workings. Mine were removed by prying up on the corners where the piece was secured, lifting the circle over the "o" or peg.

6. Clean everything with directed air or a brush. These handles have moved up and down about 50 gajillion times, so they are bound to have some gunk, especially where the guide pins move in their slots.

7. My case handle assy was busted just above the hook that secures the case to the bike. The thin metal piece, where one of the links is riveted, had broken and fallen out of the case, never to be seen again (I hope it popped off and shattered the windshield of that guy who flicked his cigarette into my chest in Eastern Maryland--you know who you are, buddy!). Therefore, the link would not move properly since it wasn't secured, and the handle would not close properly.

8. Repair: TBA. I'm thinking some JB weld to recreate the busted metal piece, or a small piece of angle iron cut to match and then welded or JB welded in place, with the link riveted back to it. The solution hasn't come to me yet, but I'll post pictures of the whole process shortly.

Other than a watchbreaker? I don't know...I'm pretty good at doing both! See also my favorite phrase: "Hey guys! Watch this!"

All done with the repair. I drilled two more holes on the same centerline as the center rivet holding the broken metal piece and placed rivets through each hole. Then a helpful and goopy smear of JB Weld along the front two cracks for added resiliency. Cleaned and re-lubed the handle assembly with white lithium grease, and then re-riveted the spots I drilled out for access to the handle assembly. Works like a champ. In my haste to prepare for a ride with my lady I neglected to take pics of the fix. Just think "perfect" with a little "wow-that's some nice engineering work". Or just think "did you have to scratch everything up like that?" In any case, consider it done.

Archived