IGNORED

Ear Plug Monitor Speakers

GreatDaysAhead

GreatDaysAhead

Ok I know that this subject has been on the forum before but I would like to know if anyone has the newer design from Al. I talked with him today and he says he now puts the speaker drivers in the "Y" section of the speaker leads and then runs acoustic tubing up to the earmolds instead of having the speakers themselves inside the earmolds. He says that it tends to prevent pulling the wires loose and also earwax problems like speaker deterioration and clogging. Anyone have the newer design and/or maybe tried the standard wired units also? Opinions? I am ready to get something as I am not satisfied with my Autocom helmet speakers. I have a fullface helemt.

I have a pair Al's ear plug speakers with the speakers in the "Y" and tubes going to the ear molds. I was worried that the tubes rubbing against my helmet or suit would cause noise. Actually, they work great. They are more reliable, easier to clean, and less prone to wire breakage. Most of all, they sound great and really seal out the other noise. Al knows his stuff.

I have Al's new design. I get the idea of the tubes but the problem for me is wind noise around the tubes enters in. I can sort of hide the tubes inside my riding jacket and that helps a bit. I think the tubes also allow in other "useful" sounds. The sound quality is quite good and they were great on a long flight last week.

A little off subject here but I've tried using earplugs to listen to music, etc., but I have a hard time keeping them in. As I put on my helmet, the padding will inevitably brush against my ears and cause the earplugs to become dislodged.

Any tips from you guys? (I can hear it now..."get smaller ears")

#2. Who is Al and where can I see his products?

Al is under the username ArizonaAl - PM him

I also have his newer style and they are great. The lower profile and custom fit do not interfere with putting the helmet on like they do with other syle ear buds.

I have Al's plugs (the newer design) and they work great for me. I also have an Autocom and their helmet speakers were the first thing to go.

A little off subject here but I've tried using earplugs to listen to music, etc., but I have a hard time keeping them in. As I put on my helmet, the padding will inevitably brush against my ears and cause the earplugs to become dislodged.

Any tips from you guys? (I can hear it now..."get smaller ears")

#2. Who is Al and where can I see his products?

The difference is that Al's products are not "one size fits all." They are custom molded to your ears.

Al starts by putting a soft foam plug deep into your ear canal to help protect your eardrum. Then he mixes up the putty with a hardener, puts it into a plastic syringe and then slowly fills you ear canal and first outer folds of your ear with the putty (you get to choose the colors of the earplugs). You sit quietly for 10 minutes while the earplugs harden. When Al removes them, they're formed, yet soft and pliable. But he still sands down the more pronounced edges to ensure maximum comfort. He also bores a hole through them for the tubes that will carry the sound from the speakers that are located at chest level. I have a set of Al's old earplugs, with the speakers inside the plugs, as well as these new ones. And I can tell you that as nice as the old ones were, the new ones are more comfortable, more rugged, and have a better range.

Once they're sanded smooth, Al dips them in a silicone coating, which has to dry, and then inserts the sound tubes. Total time is a couple of hours, so if you see Al at a motorcycle rally, or at our Torrey, UT, gathering, or at the UnRally, you can get them done while you wait.

The beauty of these, over the store-bought kind, is the fact that they lace into the channels and folds of your ears. You don't "stick" them into your ears. You rotate them gently into place until they lock in. And with a smooth, flush outer finish, there's virtually no way for them to snag when putting on your helmet.

I'm just another satisfied customer and have no financial connection to the product. Al and I do share a cabin at the Torrey events, but by telling people about his earplugs, all I'm doing is ensuring that there will be a constant parade of people busting into our cabin, and that I'll have to listen to Al's Dremel tool doing the sanding until 1AM each morning. So if you DON'T buy from him, I'll sleep better. But if you DO buy from him, you'll be happier.

You don't "stick" them into your ears. You rotate them gently into place until they lock in.

Also, Al will tell you to rub a drop of hand lotion or oil in your ear before the ear plugs/speakers. It really helps them go in and reduces any irritation. If they don't fit, he'll keep working on them until you're satisfied. But they fit.

Look around for the mushroom head earbuds with the smallest exterior. Some of them can be pretty low profile. I have a pair of sonys that hardly stick out at all, so they work pretty well under the helmet. It does help to sort of pry the helmet away from your ears as you pull it down over your head.

And there's these things. They look pretty good for $40.

Archived