IGNORED

summertime rainy-weather gloves?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

Rather than hijack/pollute the other thread inquiring about summmer gloves, I have a more specific question.

I have a pair of Olympia weatherproof gloves:

4370_highviz_highres.jpg

these are great during cold and/or wet weather; they're waterproof, and have a good layer of insulation on them. They're not so good during summer rain: too much insulation. I'm looking for a pair of summer gloves that are either waterproof and uninsulated, or porous/mesh. Since we're talking about summer/warm-weather use, mesh would be fine, except...

The challenge: I don't want to compromise much on protection. My "normal" riding gloves are leather gauntlets with knuckle armor:

340.jpg

I'd like to get summer-rain gloves that have knuckle armor like these, and (ideally) also offer some measure of abrasion resistance.

Any candidates I should look at?

Mitch, you want to look good or just have dry hands with little extra heat build up? I have tied a lot of different warm weather rain gloves over the years (something always looks like it will work better that what I have) but always keep coming back to just plain old “mechanics” gloves with a heavy duty dish washing type rubber gloves over them.. The dish washing gloves I use are not actually dish washing gloves but look almost identical. That are chemical resistant & have long gauntlets that come way up over my coat sleeves..

They don’t look cool like ones shown in your picture but I end up with dry hands at ride’s end & they allow good hand feel on the controls..

Twisty

Joe Frickin' Friday
Mitch, you want to look good or just have dry hands with little extra heat build up?

Basically I want crash protection like my good-weather gauntlets, but without the insulation of those hi-viz gloves, and I don't want to wreck my good-weather gauntlets by repeatedly soaking them. I rode through a thunderstorm with the hi-viz gloves last August, and since the temp was in the upper 70's, the insulation made them really uncomfortable.

If it's warm out, I don't particularly care if my hands get wet - which means if water won't wreck the gloves, then waterproof is optional.

Mitch-

My concern (in my thread) is protection first, and in that regard I was looking to BMW and Held for some high quality stuff. By definition mesh isn't waterproof, so I carry a set of Firstgear rubber overgloves (basically very thick dishwashing gloves as Twisty alluded to) in my case. If it rains, the overgloves go on in seconds, or not if you're in the mood for wet hands. Either way it's the best of both worlds.

See http://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb3.nsf/Products/F77C63EC8BFC9DC0862574EA0068F4B2?opendocument

I can't imagine riding in the summers here (NJ = humid) with any sort of insulation in the glove - too uncomfortable.

-MKL

For summer I like the Airstream from HELD.

My hands don't get wet in a heavy rain.

My hands are comfortable on a hot day.

The cuff and glove overlap one another sufficiently

Maybe just add uninsulated Aerostitch triple-digit covers?

+1 I really like the triple digits. They are completely water proof, very light weight, and don't sacrifice any protection. My normal summer glove is Lee Parks DeerTours. I always have the triple digits carefully folded and placed in the big pockets on the front of my Darien. If it starts raining I just pull over and put the triple digits on. Takes about two seconds and I'm off and dry.

In the winter if it's really raining I put them over my Gerbing G3s. The G3s get waterlogged in no time, the triple digits keep them dry and add some weather barrier too.

+2. And if you get them sized to fit over your winter gloves they can provide that little extra warmth for really cold days. I love mine.

How do you get them so they don't leak? I have a set, and water seems to get in the gaunlet and run down to the palm and fingers, so I still wind up with wet gloves and hands. I have pulled the adjusters as tight as I can.

+2. And if you get them sized to fit over your winter gloves they can provide that little extra warmth for really cold days. I love mine.

+3 triple-digit covers over lee parks deer sports.

I have the BMW summer rain glove but find it not comfortable because it is too stiff and my hands get tired gripping the bars. I ended up using Olympia rain glove shells. Similar to yours but with minimal insulation. They work well.

How do you get them so they don't leak? I have a set, and water seems to get in the gaunlet and run down to the palm and fingers, so I still wind up with wet gloves and hands. I have pulled the adjusters as tight as I can.

Put your jacket sleeve over the glove, problem solved.

Ian

Peter Parts

Deerskin. Great 3-season gloves. They will get soaked through in the rain but dry pretty fast and as good as new; so when touring, just carry two pair.

Anybody know of trustworthy glove safety testing? Not just strength of the stitches like some EC "standards." Might be a whole lot less difference in net risk between good-biking deerskins and cumbersome but safety-bling-filled fancy gloves.

Peter Parts
Link

Link

Truly nice of you to provide those links.

I guess it is the difference between "engineer thinking" and "research thinking."

Yes, those are good tests of abrasion, cut, and, as I mentioned before, stuff like stitch strength. But quite a gap between that kind of testing and honest-to-goodness evidence of what matters in the real world. Can you provide a link to that? (See footnote.)

Reminds me of the hokey Leatt Brace tests which assess only the mechanical strength of the device.

My thinking (scepticism?) arises from past reading of the bitter arguments between advocates for DOT versus Snell motorcycle helmet accreditation. A good case-study of how to assess what to test. I wonder if there is some glove manufacturer out there who says (possibly correctly), "Those EC standards are baloney... my way is better." Just like DOT says about Snell and vice versa.

Footnote: good empirical "street" research like the famous Hurt Report are effective in pointing out what happens in real-world spills. At least as a first step in showing gross needs like helmets, face protection, and so on. That's what we need although more into the short-strokes of safety design.

I have tried these on but have not yet bought them. I too find the bulk of the normal waterproof glove an issue. In the 90 degree rainstorms here in Houston, my hands sweat enough in the "waterproof" gloves that they are wet anyway....

Tour Master Dri-Mesh Waterproof Summer Mesh Gloves

Glove

Archived