IGNORED

Fog City speed tint???

jimmy boy

Anyone using one of these??

I have one, but I don't see how it can go on the inside of the visor as suggested, due to the pin lock would be in the way??

I had something similar. When I applied it on the inside of the shield, it had enough bulk to make it hard to fully close the shield, plus increased wind noise where it passed across the gasket at the top of the shield. I bought a Shoei graduated tint shield instead.

Had one ona Shoei Raid when they first came out.

Needs careful positioning to avoid catching on upper visor seal. Thick black sticky foam is a PITA. Doesnt work with Pinlock.

They may have improved, but the early ones lost their sensitivity within one season -ie, wouldnt tint up any more.

I went back to tinted pinlocks, or a spare dark visor...

I recently bought the Fog City Speed Tint from our local Cycle Gear and installed it inside my HJC FS-15 helmet. It's working pretty well.

I followed the directions and put it about 1 cm down from the top of the visor, but this interfered with the visor opening, it made it a little too low and limited my vision. So, I moved it up so the center of the strip is at the top of the visor. This is partially over the helmet seal. The wind noise on my helmet seem about the same to me when driving up to 65 mph.

The tint is very dark, and will limit your view. Sometimes you may have to look up to clearly see stoplights, etc. with the speed tint in place.

Yesterday, my wife and I took an 80 mile ride, and coming back home around 6:00 pm we were headed west. The speed tint shielded me from the sun just about right. Note that the tint is very dark. You can see through it, but it's more like wearing a baseball cap on as apposed to sun glasses.

My helmet has the pin lock tabs, but I don't have any visor add-ons for these. The speed strip fits right between these tabs if you get it centered just right. After a few tries, I trimmed mine with scissors just a bit on one side instead of messing with it anymore. It may interfere with pin lock shields that need to seal like anti-fog shields, etc. but I think that tinting pin-lock shields should still work OK.

The Fog City speed strip is made out pretty heavy plastic and it's not a film. I re-stuck mine about six times trying different things, and it still sticks just fine. Don't worry about it not sticking. Also, I haven't had any problems with air bubbling under the strip. No air is trapped.

One side of the speed strip is completely sticky, and there's a little bead of extra adhesive along the top. I'm not sure if they meant to do this or if it was from the manufacturing process, but it's up out of the way and I don't notice it from looking either inside or outside of the helmet.

For $15, its worth a try. I don't have to worry about a tinted visor with day vs. night riding, and it shields the early morning and late afternoon sun. Sometimes I have to lower my head to shield the sun, but that's better than nothing.

Kelly

Thanks Kelly.

I have the pin lock and it does seem to interfere with that; I think it would have to be placed over the pinlock otherwise the pin lock will steam up...

I think I will stick to sun glasses......

Thanks Kelly.

I have the pin lock and it does seem to interfere with that; I think it would have to be placed over the pinlock otherwise the pin lock will steam up...

I think I will stick to sun glasses......

I think Pin-lock and fog-city are an either-or choice. FWIW, pin-lock make tinted inserts as well, which can be swapped over dependant on the weather.

FWIW, I found the fog-city inserts did not darken inside my old HJC - they rely on UV to change tint and the the visor with the anti-scratch finish and "fog-resistant" (!) inner coat stopped most of the UV getting through, hence no darkening.

I now use a Caberg Justisimo with built-in sun visor (had a Schuberth C2 before that) much more reliable...

Andy

Archived