IGNORED

Alternator Belts- where to buy?

Moto-Moto

What is a good source to buy an Alternator belt? I have been looking at Beemerbonyard, but they don't seem to have it, or I am looking at the wrong area. Is there a good place or can an Aftermarket belt work?

Also, how about throttle cables?

Thanks

Moto-Moto, your 04 uses an elastomer (stretchy) belt & I haven’t ever seen one sourced from an auto parts store or otherwise.. Maybe but you would really need to do some exacting research..

Same with throttle cables,, no aftermarket that I know of..

Some BMW dealers like Chicago BMW will give you a 20% discount for online orders but you have to ASK for it & it takes a while to order & get shipped to you.. If no hurry the 20% discount will save you some Pesos..

Twisty

So you are saying I'm NOT going nuts from not finding it online? Whew. I have been searching and searching. :clap:

Thanks for the advice and piece of mind.

Moto-Moto, you should be able to find the belt online,, I’m pretty sure Bike Bandit has it available as well as a host or BMW dealers selling on line.. I think that one of the Hyundai belts will fit but it isn’t the correct belt for the BMW..

Search 12317681841 belt

On the cables I think you are BMW only or at least specific to BMW applications..

Twisty

Chicago BMW 800-262-9150. 20% off without asking/use the phone, do not do it online. Much faster by phone.

My 04 used a NAPA part # 25-040233 (not all of em are the elastomer style).

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=537954

Deadboy, all the 1150RT’s from July 2003 on should have or be updated to the elastomer alternator belt.. While it’s true that a few were built with the old style Poly-V there is a BMW service bulletin that says all should be updated to the elastomer belt at first belt change.. The only ones excluded were the 40 amp alternator applications & that wasn’t on the RT’s..

Added: Bottom line-- any 1150 using the freewheeling alternator pulley should have or be updated to the elastomer belt..

Twisty

Paul Mihalka

Some times I don't get it. I am as thrifty (CHEAP) as the next guy. The alternator belt gets replaced every 3x thousand miles. That for me is once a year, for most others every 2 to 3 years. Asking and getting answers where I can buy it for may be 15 dollars instead of may be 25 dollars is not worth my energy and the energy of the ones who answer.

My 04 used a NAPA part # 25-040233 (not all of em are the elastomer style).

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=537954

Deadboy, all the 1150RT’s from July 2003 on should have or be updated to the elastomer alternator belt.. While it’s true that a few were built with the old style Poly-V there is a BMW service bulletin that says all should be updated to the elastomer belt at first belt change.. The only ones excluded were the 40 amp alternator applications & that wasn’t on the RT’s..

Added: Bottom line-- any 1150 using the freewheeling alternator pulley should have or be updated to the elastomer belt..

Twisty

Mine was purchased new in July 2003 (it is an 04) and that isn't the case, nor was it updated when it was replaced under warranty after breaking at 18K......just a plain old v belt, in fact I recently changed it again at 60K.

Any compelling reason to go to the newer style?

Deadboy, if you purchased it in jul of 03 it was probably built quite a bit earlier than that (slow boat from the fatherland).. That would put it before the jul of 2003 belt changeover date.. Have you checked your serial number to be sure it really is a 2004 bike & not a 2003 that the dealer just sold as a 2004..

What alternator pulley does your bike have on it? If a pre freewheeling alternator pulley then stay with the poly-V belt..

If you can find your engine number the elastomer belt was supposedly phased in at engine S/N 27036605.. Engine numbers starting with 28, 29, & 30 were most likely built with Poly-V belts but were to be updated to the elastomer at first belt change..

Twisty

Deadboy, if you purchased it in jul of 03 it was probably built quite a bit earlier than that (slow boat from the fatherland).. That would put it before the jul of 2003 belt changeover date.. Have you checked your serial number to be sure it really is a 2004 bike & not a 2003 that the dealer just sold as a 2004..

What alternator pulley does your bike have on it? If a pre freewheeling alternator pulley then stay with the poly-V belt..

If you can find your engine number the elastomer belt was supposedly phased in at engine S/N 27036605.. Engine numbers starting with 28, 29, & 30 were most likely built with Poly-V belts but were to be updated to the elastomer at first belt change..

Twisty

It is a twin spark.....but who knows? I will check the # just for fun but other than a slight slippage at start up since I last changed it it seems to work fine.....

Archived