IGNORED

She can,t hear

taylor1

Hello All, Just a quick question.I took my girl for a ride the other day,[her first] and she absolutely loved it.Her only complaint was that it was to hard to talk.I have no experience in this ,so, can someone point me in a direction of an inexpensive com system that can be put on and taken off easily and does not have to be on the bike permanently Thanks Dave

There are lot's of expensive, cordless and portable intercom options on the market. Autocom is one I can think of. As far as a first time motorcycle passenger is concerned, she may be a bit inexpereinced and surprsied of the noise. Understanding that conversation, even with an intercom may be difficult due to the ambient noise and wind buffet.

What was it she was trying to convey to you and why was it important at that moment? Perhaps having prearranged hand signals and gestures before riding would help in this case? Explaining the trip, destination and sensation of riding before you start could help alleviate her concerns. Taking her first rides on slower and quieter roads could also help in he inability to communicate. If the conversation has nothing to do with riding, ask her to save the thoughts until after the ride.

I rode with a passenger for years and well before helmet intercoms were invented. We just got used to not talking until we were stopped at a traffic light.

John Ranalletta

Welcome.

More info would be helpful.

What do you ride?

Helmets? What kind? Open, flip, full?

Budget?

Want just an intercom or a system for iPod, XM, etc.?

Would you mount the unit in the bike, in a tank bag or carry in your pocket (battery powered)?

Most riders I know use the autocom brand of products. You can usually find used units on the various bike threads like advrider.com, but your accessory needs (helmet speakers, boom mikes, molded ear plug/speakers) can vary depending upon your answers to the questions above.

John I ride a r1150rt I wear a full face shoie and she wears a 3/4 not sure of the make All I am looking for is some thing for us to communicate with each other while riding.Not interested in any other hookups such as ipod ect.I guess price would be @ 150.00 Thanks

John Ranalletta

You could get a used autocom unit powered by a 9v battery. The RT is relative quiet, so, the autocom helmet speakers would work for both of you.

Keep checking advrider or put in a WTB (wtb) post in the Flea Market/Gear section. There's nothing there now, but there are a couple on ebay that look like good candidates.

Make sure you get the unit and two complete helmet rigs w/ speakers and boom mike.

You could look at the Cardo Scala it is wireless (bluetooth) and easily installed it also allows you to sync other things later if you want to.

You could look at the Cardo Scala it is wireless (bluetooth) and easily installed it also allows you to sync other things later if you want to.

+1

My wife and I use the Q2 MultiSet and carry on conversations at 80 mph regularly. It's very neat with no wires to hook up. The only time we have trouble is when we are hit with gusty side winds. You can connect via bluetooth to a second scala headset if you ride with a buddy. Supposed to work up to 500m LOS. I haven't tried this so not sure how well it works or what the range might really be. You can also use it with your bluetooth enabled phone or other device if you so desire.

I have no affiliation... Just a fan of the product

Hello All, Just a quick question.I took my girl for a ride the other day,[her first] and she absolutely loved it.Her only complaint was that it was to hard to talk.....................

In all seriousness, the lack of talking is one of the things I really like about riding.

YUP! If she can't talk then you don't have to listen! That CAN be a very good thing. (Isn't it about time for a woman to chime in on this?)

Nice n Easy Rider
YUP! If she can't talk then you don't have to listen! That CAN be a very good thing. (Isn't it about time for a woman to chime in on this?)

Hey Tom, isn't this a family-friendly forum? With you fellas as instigators I'm afraid some of the comments from the women might be unprintable. :grin:

Hey Tom, isn't this a family-friendly forum? With you fellas as instigators I'm afraid some of the comments from the women might be unprintable. :grin:

If my wife ever tries to divorce me, I plan to list BMWST as a co-defendent.

---

can someone point me in a direction of an inexpensive com system that can be put on and taken off easily and does not have to be on the bike permanently Thanks Dave

I think the bluetooth based systems are going to be your best bet. I personally use the autocom system (permanent install) because we do long, long trips and don't want any hassle with batteries/charging..etc. But it sounds like you want something for casual/occasional riding.

Archived