IGNORED

Gonna Be a Long Spring

Rinkydink

Just sent my '09 RT stock seat to Russell for a Daylong and wouldn't you know it, 75 degrees and the sun is perfect. Minimum build time + shipping is probably at least 3 weeks...damn!

That's not good.

If it were me, I'd pick up one of the cheap stock seats for sale on ebay and have it within a week. At least you could then ride while waiting for the comfy seat, and then if ya don't want it for a spare, put it back up on ebay.

Just a thought. :)

LeftCoastMan
That's not good.

If it were me, I'd pick up one of the cheap stock seats for sale on ebay and have it within a week. At least you could then ride while waiting for the comfy seat, and then if ya don't want it for a spare, put it back up on ebay.

Just a thought. :)

A second benefit of a backup stock seat is that if you ever trade in your bike, sell it to them with the stock seat, and use your custom one on your new bike (if you keep the same one).

Just sent my '09 RT stock seat to Russell for a Daylong and wouldn't you know it, 75 degrees and the sun is perfect. Minimum build time + shipping is probably at least 3 weeks...damn!

I'm sure the wait will be well worth it :grin:...report back when you have had some time in the saddle...I'm still on the fence,don't have enough "day rides" in yet to feel just how the stock seat will hold up.

Only three week turn around, in spring, for a Russell???

That's great! In the middle of winter I waited 6 weeks or more. Your butt will thank you again and again. It's worth the wait! And I agree with the others, I always keep the stock seats and send them another.

BTW...Is that an Ibanez bass? Kinda looks like one I used to have.

xbubblehead

My seat is returning today (at some point), Russell took one week to work on it and one week to return it.

I am on the opposite coast so u may get it a little quicker. In the long run it should be well worth the time,

although i am jealous of every motorcycle enjoying the weather right now. Good luck with your seat.

GreatDaysAhead

I am going to do a ride in appt. to Russell in July on the way to the BMWMOA rally in Oregon. CAN'T WAIT!!!! Neither can my BUTT :clap:

Only three week turn around, in spring, for a Russell???

That's great! In the middle of winter I waited 6 weeks or more.

I am using the worse case scenario on the RDL, hopefully it won't take that long. Not a bad idea to buy an extra stock seat though. A ride report will be coming.

Not an Ibanez but a handmade Q bass. My buddy Tim Quetermous was a local luthier and made it totally from scratch...I mean the only thing he didn't make himself was the electronics, tuning keys, strings and bridge. To watch him make the neck (5 piece maple with ebony fretboard) and cut/install the stainless steel frets was absolutely incredible. Sadly he died young and unexpectedly. But not before he totally reworked my '63 Fender Precision. A few pics. Notice the Abalone work done by hand...sorry for the flash. And the foot!

2010040220100402_04.jpg

2010040220100402_03.jpg

2010040220100402_02.jpg

2010040220100402_01.jpg

Oh, yes it almost plays itself!

A pic of the Ossa...notice the short track gearing and compression release only. Real men don't use brakes!

DSC01399-1.jpg

Back in my Bultaco days we would take the 360 Astro top ends and install on our Pursangs for the big race tracks where speed was an advantage, those were the days. Love the Ossa!

I am going to do a ride in appt. to Russell in July on the way to the BMWMOA rally in Oregon. CAN'T WAIT!!!! Neither can my BUTT :clap:

Make Sure you take it for a long ride before you leave the area. I drove 1000 miles home after just a short test and it just about killed me. I was actually closer to the pegs with the new seat. It never did work out for me and even thought they said they couldn't make it work for me it ended up costing me $300 for shipping and restocking or what ever they called it, I was not happy with there guarantee, they made sure they covered there costs at my expense.

GreatDaysAhead

Great advice, I am planning on riding quite a bit around northern Ca. before heading up to Qr. so I sould be able to see if it going to work. Sorry yous did'nt work out for you. According to the comments here and other sites the odds seem to be in my favor that I will be satisfied. I also will returning past Russell on the way home if I still need some adustment. Thanks again for the tip.

Thanks for the tips...I have a couple of months to break in the new seat with the better half on board before the big trek. No matter what, it has to be better than that POS stock seat. It never ceases to amaze me that a motorcycle this expensive manages to end up with such a crappy seat...and my '04 1150RT and '07F800ST seats were the same way. Maybe it's my butt...I don't be gotten one?

I have had Sargent, Corbin & Mustang seats thru the years, all good seats, but I hope this is the one.

Not an Ibanez but a handmade Q bass. My buddy Tim Quetermous was a local luthier and made it totally from scratch...I mean the only thing he didn't make himself was the electronics, tuning keys, strings and bridge. To watch him make the neck (5 piece maple with ebony fretboard) and cut/install the stainless steel frets was absolutely incredible. Sadly he died young and unexpectedly. But not before he totally reworked my '63 Fender Precision. A few pics. Notice the Abalone work done by hand...sorry for the flash. And the foot!

2010040220100402_04.jpg

2010040220100402_03.jpg

2010040220100402_02.jpg

2010040220100402_01.jpg

Oh, yes it almost plays itself!

That is one gorgeous axe.

I love the wood and especially the inlay work. Your friend had an amazing talent.

Is that quilted maple, figured walnut or something else? Really nice selection of wood.

Rinkydink, Just wanted to say, that is one beautiful base.Is that wood quilted maple? I also play and just bought a new Taylor GS6 Its made out of what they call curley maple and looks alot like yours. keep jammin Dave

It is quilted maple and the darker stripes are padauk wood from Africa on the neck and body. The EMG active pickups scream tone and it never needs tuning once the strings get stretched in. I play stereo with two Gallien Krueger amps and two 4-10" Ampeg cabs, nuff said...oh and yes I do wear ear plugs when I play live. :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

She is here...

2010042020100420_03.jpg

2010042020100420_04.jpg

2010042020100420_01.jpg

Took a 25 mile ride (while my wife mowed the lawn) :eek: and I can already tell a difference. My only concern is I am definitely tippy toeing. Please tell me it "settles in" somewhat...With my wife and loaded down it is going to be a tad lower I'm sure but by myself it is going to be interesting.

GreatDaysAhead

Hey, Rinky

Looks awesome!!! I can't wait for my ride in before the BMWMOA rally in July. You make me comfortable with my decision. Ride in comfort my friend. :thumbsup:

She is beautiful...my next purchase for sure...I think I will be able to sacrifice some tip-toeing for a comfortable ride.

Color me jealous :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

OK, 1200 miles later and still tip-toeing but I am more at ease with it.

The difference is amazing. You gotta get you one of these seats!!!

Congrats on the new seat Linc. Sounds like it's as comfortable as it looks. Please update us on the tippy toe thing after you've had more experience/miles.

As for the other part that has developed in your thread - you might be interested in listening to a CBC radio show called Vinyl Tap hosted by Randy Bachman of The Guess Who and Bachman Turner Overdrive. I know you'd enjoy this show as, he not only gets into details of various artists and their bands, he also goes into great detail about their guitars, their construct and how they differ from other guitars playing the same music. In fact, he's dedicated a few shows specifically to guitars, their mechanics and who played them. You'll find his show at : cbc.ca/vinyltap where you'll also find a link to Randy's own website.

Archived