IGNORED

Gel batteries with a standard battery tender...

Tasker

I am receiving conflicting information about the use of gel batteries and battery tenders. Can you help me?

I've been told that if you are using a gel battery in your motorcycle that you cannot use the standard battery tender to maintain the charge. I've also been told that you can use a standard battery tender with a new gel battery. I've done some research but have not landed on the conclusive answer.

I don't want to buy a new gel battery if I have to buy a new battery charger, too. I'd rather stick with the "old-style" battery.

Your thoughts?

TIA!

Tasker-

Think about it this way: Did you change the charging system on your motorcycle when you changed battery types, from standard VRLA to gel to AGM or whatever? No. So the idea that a standard charger won't work is, to me, 99% marketing hype. Yeah, some types of batteries like AGM need more current to recover from deep discharge states, but for day to day use, a standard charger should work just fine.

-MKL

Moshe is the battery guru. However, I will throw this one in for thought. Gel batteries require a lower charge voltage than flooded or AGM batteries. In marine applications, where a high current charger is used continuously while the boat is docked, it is important to have the correct setting on the charger to keep from damaging the battery.

My thought would be that a low current tender would not damage the battery. However, I would be cautious about leaving it connected for a very long period of time.

Next question is, why use a GEL battery, AGM is a much better choice.

Please chime in on this Moshe if I am incorrect.

Tasker-

Think about it this way: Did you change the charging system on your motorcycle when you changed battery types, from standard VRLA to gel to AGM or whatever? No. So the idea that a standard charger won't work is, to me, 99% marketing hype. Yeah, some types of batteries like AGM need more current to recover from deep discharge states, but for day to day use, a standard charger should work just fine.

-MKL

What he said.

While yes, there are some differences in ideal charging curves, in reality it's not enough to matter.

I have used a regular battery tender for quite a while on all of my bikes and have had no adverse effects. I got it from a reliable source that batteries are really quite stupid and they know not...

I have used a regular battery tender for quite a while on all of my bikes and have had no adverse effects. I got it from a reliable source that batteries are really quite stupid and they know not...

I guess that is why they make "SMART CHARGERS ?" :rofl:

I would not buy a GEL battery for a motorcycle. Not because of charging/tender issues, just because in my professional opinion I do not believe the technology is suited to the application. I would go for an AGM battery every time. I have noticed however, sometimes these are incorrectly referred to as GEL. GEL batteries are - in simple terms - Lead-Acid batteries with a silica gelling agent added. This turns the acid into a gel, which stops leaks. It also removes the batteries resistance to overcharging and, although having good vibration resistance, has lower shock resistance.

AGM batteries are lead-acid batteries with the acid absorbed into glass-fibre mats that are sandwiched between the plates. They have all the advantages of both flooded cell (traditional) batteries and gel, without the latter's disadvantages.

Odyssey or the Universal type batteries are AGM - I have a powersonic PS12170 computer backup AGM battery in my bike.

Andy

Per BMW Motorrad

Battery Types

FLA = Flooded Lead Acid Battery

Traditional engine start battery design with liquid electrolyte free to move in cell compartments. User adds distilled water as battery dries out.

AGM = Absorbed Glass Matte Battery

Maintenance-free sealed design with liquid electrolyte suspended in glass fiber mats.

GEL = Gel Battery

Maintenance-free sealed battery design utilizes an electrolyte 'gel'.

Battery Chargers

Chargers noted here can safely charge FLA, AGM and GEL un-installed batteries.

71 60 7 688 865 - BMW Motorrad Maintenance Charger

Capable of charging installed batteries through the accessory socket of all BMW

motorcycles, including 'CAN-Bus' models (~ 2005 and later).

99 99 0 005 370 - Five-Pole Shop Gel Battery Charger

Safely charges 2004 and earlier motorcycles through the accessory socket.

Note: Remove battery from CAN-Bus bikes before charging.

99 99 0 005 656 - Generation II Personal Gel Battery Charger

Cost effective. Safely charges 2004 and earlier motorcycles through the accessory socket.

Note: Remove battery from CAN-Bus bikes before charging.

90 88 6 611 590 - BMW Motorrad Charger/Tester Shop Tool

Charges all batteries through accessory socket, including CAN-Bus motorcycles.

Also capable of performing certain battery and electrical system tests.

Right. And the BMW chargers are just rebadged Deltran Battery Tenders, which you can buy for $35-45, sold to BMW owners for $90....

-MKL

I use a standard car battery charger on my gel battery. I put it on 2 amp charge, and let her go. On my 3rd year, no problem.

Archived