IGNORED

xm antenna placement

xbubblehead

xbubblehead

I have done a search on this topic and was wondering why everyone seems to place the xm antenna on the front of the bike. I do want to be able to switch the xm antenna from my bike

to the cage, so under the fairing doesn't work for me. Since the unit came with an extension cord I was thinking of placing the "puck" on a side case or on the Givi topcase shelf (I only use

the case for trips).

After the search, it seems to be a good idea to use 3M Dualock and mount the antenna to it's metal mount with the screws that came with the kit. Then stick the 3M stuff to the bottom

of the mounting plate. This way I can run the cord under the seat to have easy access to removing the puck.

Does anyone know if this would be a problem with reception or just not a good idea for any reasons?

Heres a picture of what I was thinking of doing.

IMG_0062.jpg

or this set up

IMG_0063.jpg

Well if I didn't have an extra one already made up, I wouldn't chime in...it's a bear to make, but it works really well.

http://gallery.me.com/jkwinchester1#100382&bgcolor=black&view=grid

The base is made of very high density steel so the magnetic mount for the GXM really clamps down and stays put! I use stainless steel tubing cut to length, ( each of the 4 'legs' is a different length...), so as to have the steel base EXACTLY level when the handlebars are aiming straight ahead. Just my OCD, ha,ha.

As well as the mounting base, and the SS tubes cut to length, I make the four exact length screws to replace the original front brake reservoir cover screws, and rubber washers to go between everything.

Works really well, my GXM hasn't moved in 5 years and 80,000kms. And the reception is perfect, the antenna has a clear shot at the sky at all times.

Jim

cali_beemer

On my 1200Rt I mounted it under the fairing but on top of the gauge unit. It didnt take long at all. It stays completely out of the way. The reception was great. The XM puck will get signal under the plastic, its metal objects that interfere. If you pop the fornt fairing off, you will see the space I mentioned. In my case I used som bonding putting to place it on top. It worked great and the putting isnt so strong I cant pull it off later. It held up for thousands of miles before I sold it.

I would be concerned about reception with it mounted on the side case if the top case was on the bike. I would think it could block reception.

I have my mounted to the break resevoir and never have any issues.

xbubblehead
I would be concerned about reception with it mounted on the side case if the top case was on the bike.

That's my concern. I am learning why everyone places the "puck" up front. I spoke with Limecreek who had his on the sidecase but he moved it due to that reason.

I'm thinking of using the front brake reservoir as well. If I was going to keep the antenna on the bike I would place it under the fairing because I like that "clean" look but I will be using it in the cage too.

markgoodrich

You haven't mentioned what gps you pipe the music through. I have a 376c Garmin. I just attach the puck directly to the top of the Garmin with Dual Lock. It's never fallen off. The new Zumos don't seem to have a wide spot on top, though.

LeftCoastMan

For the XM radio to work well, the antenna needs a relatively unobstructed view of the Southern sky. Human bodies, being mostly water, don't obstruct the signal too much. Metal, plastic, glass, and other hard substances can. I would be concerned if you put the antenna in a location that does has limited view, especially if you're driving south, you might lose the signal.

This is what I did, though I've improved it a bit recently.

I bought one of these from JakFrost and have used it on my '02 RT and now '09 RT with absolute PERFECT reception and no movement of any kind. That includes after taking on/off as required for brake maintenance.

Thanks for the invention, JakFrost!!!!

xbubblehead

ully211 - is this what you were referring to - I send JakFrost a pm asking about the mount and how I could get one.

It seems that the front of the bike is the most stable area for the signal and this area would allow a for a quick detachment.

I think that is in fact what he is referring too...but no pm received?

Oh and by the way, thats 'Admiral Ully211' to you, no really! Maybe Vice Admiral but he is waaaay above CPO, which is where I was :-).

Jim

xbubblehead

Most of those guys are - we just don't let know. ;o lol. And you just solved my antenna issue thanks.

I mounted my xmantenna to a RAM ball installed on a post designed for the unused mirror hole on the RT; used a short RAM arm attached to the round flat metal piece also with a RAM ball on the bottom. Velcro on the metal pieces. Works fine and I was able to adjust the angle when riding up north for better reception.

On the F650, the xm antenna is velcro'd to my Wolfman tank bag that conveniently has loop velcro on the top of the bag.

If anyone is interested, I'll post a pic of the RT arrangement.

LeftCoastMan
I mounted my xmantenna to a RAM ball installed on a post designed for the unused mirror hole on the RT; used a short RAM arm attached to the round flat metal piece also with a RAM ball on the bottom. Velcro on the metal pieces. Works fine and I was able to adjust the angle when riding up north for better reception.

On the F650, the xm antenna is velcro'd to my Wolfman tank bag that conveniently has loop velcro on the top of the bag.

If anyone is interested, I'll post a pic of the RT arrangement.

I've seen that setup. Very nice.

I received a PM from Lynn, asking for pictures of my setup. I figure if he's interested to see it, others are as well. (Sorry, about the delay, Lynn, I was wiped out :P when I got home from work and forgot I was going to post these)

831029036_E8rs3-M.jpg

831029116_vWoFw-M.jpg

I did cut the "ears" of the metal plate that came with the xm antenna

831029004_aAi9A-M.jpg

I like to run the xm on both bikes, so I wanted to have my set up easily transferable. With the RAM set up, the entire assembly can be removed in minutes.

831029073_ZrAgK-M.jpg

831028966_qWKA7-M.jpg

831028921_2Uq2q-M.jpg

I just picked up an antenna, so this thread came along at just the right time. Great set up! Easy on/off. Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures for us Sharon.

LeftCoastMan

This is how I did it.

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

1. This bracket attaches to the clutch cylinder, though you can buy one for the break cylinder. It has a small XM antenna holder, but only for the small ones, doesn't work with the hockey puck GXM30. Attach this first.

2. I then attached a Touratech locking bracket, and this GXM30 mount with the Garmin motorcycle bracket. The bolts and nuts that come with the Garmin are just long enough to tighten everything together. In addition, the GXM30 can be screwed into the plate that holds it, for real security, but it can stay in place magnetically.

Of course, the Touratech bracket is expensive and optional, but I like it a lot. It locks the 550 into place, and it would take a few minutes to destroy the housing to get at either the XM hockey puck or the GPS receiver.

I personally like the 550 over to the left side, mainly because I can keep my hand on the throttle while playing with it. :) OK, not really, I'm right handed, and there is a tendency to look down to the left for information.

xbubblehead

That's what I love about the site - plenty of well thought out ideas. I am going to use the option that Jakfrost and I discussed. I am looking forward to setting that up on the bike.

As I await for the bracket, I'm gonna use 3putt's set up

Great ideas and picts from everyone! THANKS! :grin:

I wanted my antenna to be invisible and not on the handle bars. I have installed it behind the speedo, after taking the side panels and dash surround off. There is a bar that runs across behind the gauges and the XM antenna ties nicely to the bar using pull ties and the base plate that came with the antenna.

So it is one layer of plastic away from the sky. I test rode the bike this week and it gets 3 bars virtually all of the time.

Very cool and tidy and invisible.

LeftCoastMan
I wanted my antenna to be invisible and not on the handle bars. I have installed it behind the speedo, after taking the side panels and dash surround off. There is a bar that runs across behind the gauges and the XM antenna ties nicely to the bar using pull ties and the base plate that came with the antenna.

So it is one layer of plastic away from the sky. I test rode the bike this week and it gets 3 bars virtually all of the time.

Very cool and tidy and invisible.

I'm not sure what your concern about the antenna being visible, but you have to remember that the XM satellite power is very very low, approximately -50dBm. That's about the level of energy received from a small star, which means hardly anything at all.

For the best possible signal, you need to have a line-of-sight to the southern sky. It will be blocked by plastic, but remember, even under the best of conditions, your southern line of sight is going to have trees buildings and the such.

Furthermore, many big cities have ground repeaters, so you be able to get away with your antenna hidden as you have it. But once you leave the city, or have the southern sky obscured, your location is going to be problematic, especially if you're driving north, when the signal is going to have to pass through a lot of metal, biologicals (your body), and plastic.

Thanks for the insight, and I am guessing you are right, although I did ride yesterday around the country a bit and it seemed OK. I will see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Originally mounted atop the right brake reservoir. It worked very well there, but preferred it permanently attached & out of sight if possible. Unlike the GPS & Radar Detector, the XM puck wasn't "quick-release" for those times I wanted it off the bike.

Tried behind the oil cooler, also further up under the dash but had intermittent reception.

Board member Angel suggested putting it in the tail section along with the Autocom. I thought he was nuts but tried it anyway.

That was a year ago; the XM Antenna puck is now velcroed to the Autocom & so far works just fine around town (large metropolitan area) & on trips (but not up north yet). :) The one time I didn't have decent reception & another rider did I unvelcroed the puck & placed it behind me.

I'm mounting the trunk for the trip to/from the BRR so that ought to be a real "reception" test.

Here's what it looks like. The area is dirty from a bad weather trip but you get the idea.

833370553_oqivB-M.jpg

833370577_3C639-M.jpg

that's the one xbubblehead ....

nope, no "admiral" here guys ... spent 30 wonderful years in the Nav and wouldn't change a one of them though!!!!

Archived