IGNORED

Has anyone made their own side cases.

Haynes

For my R1150GS, I have Touratech racks but no cases. Has anyone contemplated making their own cases. I have access to material and equipment and I have plenty of time but I thought perhaps someone could offer some advice.

Why not just use some Pelican cases?

It seems to me that the hardest part will be fabricating a lid that is durabel and seals well... ideally compeltely waterproof when submerged up to 2' deep in water with the weight of the bike laying on it.

I've sen pictures of some pretty big and durable side cases.

What materials do you have? Aluminum, stainless stainless steel or carbon steel?

Talk to Mikko, he seems to be pretty good at molding things!

(Actually sort of seems like 'reinventing the wheel' to me, but each to their own!)

skinny_tom (aka boney)

There's a guy in Vendors over on ADVRider that's selling aluminum boxes pretty cheap. You just need the mounting hardware and you're set.

jireynolds67
There's a guy in Vendors over on ADVRider that's selling aluminum boxes pretty cheap. You just need the mounting hardware and you're set.

Do you have the link for these?

motoguy128, The Pelican cases look pretty good but I don't know if they're readily available here. I've looked at teh Australian Pelican website but I can't identify anything that would suit a sidecase.

The material I have is aluminium from 1 to 2 millimeters.

I agree that a good sealing lid is not easy to achieve.

Possible top cases:

AL1616

iM2200

Possible side cases:

iM2200

iM2450

i2500

Thanks Selden. These are obviously tough looking cases but I particularly want side-cases with top lids.

Thanks Boney for this link. I'll pursue this over the next few days although I am concerned about shipping costs to Australia and damage in transit.

Lone_RT_rider

It looks like you have this one sorted out, but as an aside, there is a guy here at work that mounted a pair of painted silver 50 caliber ammo boxes to the side of his R1150GS. I think it looks pretty trick. I have a picture on my smumgmug site, but its not a great pic and the site is blocked here at work anyway.

Shawn

I think it was the use of ammo boxes that gave rise to the present aluminum pannier industry.

I remember seeing ammo boxes used 4 decades ago.

if you really wanted to make you own I am sure a very nice job could be done of plywood. Marine grade, superb joinery, stainless steel parts. wouldn't be exactly cheap but could be done on a home scale with a little wood working/boat building skills. pound for pound wood is stronger.

At one time I considered putting top loading Pelican cases on one of my motorycles. I found these for the Pelican 1430 top loaders

Pelican 1430 boat brackets

I have not seen these in person so I don't know the structural strength for holding a 1430 (and contents) onto the motorycle but looks interesting.

Good luck. Buckster

Archived