IGNORED

Tire Bad Luck

frenchwv

So, I've had a string of bad luck with a new Metzeler ME880 rear tire. I've only been riding on it for a month (about 1,000 miles) and I've already had two puncture flats. To put this in perspective, in 20 yrs of riding I don't think I've ever had another flat. I am doing a lap around the country next month and I am starting to feel shakey about this tire. Do you guys think I should get a new tire? I've got two plugs in there now and since I'm not used to ever getting a flat, I'm not sure what the best course of action is. Keep it or replace it?

Paul Mihalka

A lap around the country? Definitely a new tire! I've ridden on plugged tires, but I wouldn't start a long trip with two plugs in my tire.

Only you can decide what you need to do to make you feel good.

I know what what I would do.

I'd remove the tire and patch it from the inside, then use it until it's time to replace the tire.

The ME880 has very stiff and thick carcass compared to sport tires.

That helps in minimizing tire flex and makes that tire an excellent candidate for patching.

But if any kind of repaired tire makes you feel uneasy about it, then you better replace it so it wont ruin your trip making you worry about it every time you get on the bike.

--

Mikko

Paul Mihalka

A good patch on the inside is a good idea, but I would still do the trip on a new one and wear out the patched one close to home.

A good patch on the inside is a good idea, but I would still do the trip on a new one and wear out the patched one close to home.

That's probably as close to a right answer as it ever gets.

How come I didn't think about that :grin:

--

Mikko

Flats come in threes. :)

It really is odd how many years and miles can pass without a flat and then BAM, several punctures in a month!

I'd suggest checking your driveway and normal routes to see who just had a roof put on their house before putting on a new tire.

---

If you're gonna patch it, better get one of these plug-patches from NAPA (#7101643). I tried all the alternatives and this was the only one that worked long-term. The patch and plug are all one piece of rubber, so the plug will NOT come out. The patch part becomes one with the tire, but it does require some roughing up of the inside surface to get a good seal. I just pulled a roofing nail from a brand new PRII and patched it--my THIRD puncture (in a row) in an almost new tire!!! :mad:

tirepatch.jpg

(Find a buddy with a tire changer to help; dealers will not patch tires, in my experience).

A tow, hotel room, and precious vacation time wasted (not to mention your safety) cost much more than a new rear tire.

-MKL

...better get one of these plug-patches from NAPA (#7101643).

tirepatch.jpg

Thanks for that reference... I've been looking for these plug-patches. Last year picked up 2 nails. This year just got myself a tire changer.

I would get a new tire for that trip. As Paul says, patch the inside and use that tire close to home. Old Farts know!! :grin:

Lone_RT_rider
A lap around the country? Definitely a new tire! I've ridden on plugged tires, but I wouldn't start a long trip with two plugs in my tire.

Paul,

While obviously I respect your opinion on most anything, I respectfully disagree on this one. I did my SS1000 on a plugged tire and IF the plugs are separated at least a couple of inches apart, I feel they should be fine. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Shawn

Paul Mihalka

Paul,

While obviously I respect your opinion on most anything, I respectfully disagree on this one. I did my SS1000 on a plugged tire and IF the plugs are separated at least a couple of inches apart, I feel they should be fine. Just my opinion, YMMV.

Shawn

I didn't guarantee that it was going to fail, I just said I would not do it :). Now nothing is a absolute. Like if I was 500 miles from home, on a Sunday, ready to start a SS1000 day and I had to plug my tire, even twice, I would keep my fingers crossed and go.

It's not the same as being home, planning a around country trip, and start on a twice plugged tire.

Although I've patched 3 tires with no issues (after finding the "correct patch") and will continue to do so, I do agree with Paul; if you can mount a new tire for the trip, do it--I would also. And re-install the patched tire when I return. Why tempt fate? Or Murphy? But then I also have a tire changer so it makes swapping tires around quite easy. :)

...better get one of these plug-patches from NAPA (#7101643).

tirepatch.jpg

Thanks for that reference... I've been looking for these plug-patches. Last year picked up 2 nails. This year just got myself a tire changer.

Changer is absolutely the best bike tool I've ever purchased--you'll never regret it! :thumbsup:

(Be sure to rough up the surface with a drill & wire brush, and applying the correct rubber "Universal Solvent" before patching with those plug patches.)

Archived