IGNORED

Electric vest

Dave_C

I have a Widder electric vest that is a few years old. It quit working. Should I buy another? What do you like and where did you get it? I ride in temps down to 25F. I also have a BMW vest with a broken plug. Where can I get a new plug?

I like what the manufacturers call a "jacket liner" instead of a simple vest - my arms, which are less protected by the fairing and windscreen, get some warmth in a jacket but not in a vest.

You could probably get a suitable replacement plug for the BMW vest at powerletproducts.com.

Been thinking about one of these from Gerbing's. Anyone know if you need to buy a heat controller seperate or does it come with the liner? Good place to buy?

Thanks.

Pat

Yes, you will need a temp. controller in addition to the jacket liner. A "dual" controller will allow you to add heated gloves and/or pants and socks.

To get the best fit (snug) you will probably have to try a few on at your dealer. And I'd recommend you take your outer jacket with you to make sure there's room in the collar area. Also check for interference if you zip your jacket to your pants.

A good place to buy? - check with Rose at Max BMW in NH (that's where I got mine).

There are some brands that come with the controller, but the Gerbings controller is sold seperately. The widder vest is probably repairable.. Usually the problem is just a defective hook up cord or a bad plug on the vest. There are some widder accessories available on the web. Just do a search for widder.

See if one of your friends has a meter & will help you check the wiring. If no one you knows can help you with this & you want to send them to me I will be glad to see if it is repairable reasonably.

Gerbings also has an outlet store that has close out items at lower prices if you do not have to have the newest micro wire accessories.

Go Gerbings.

Need to buy the option heat controller IMHO.

I've had BMW,Widder and Stitch liners and ran them all just with the on/off switch,most of the time just leaving them on because they are just "warm".

Not Gerbings,their liners really heat up.Their innersoles are cat's butt below 30.

Also, using the Gerbings I eliminated carrying a nylon shell that I used to wear over the other heated liners,the Gerbings is just about totally windproof.

Steve

I have older gerbing and its been great. looking for a reason to get newer generation stuff, but the old works too well. I've had warranty for plugs pulling off, and they've always done quality work (lifetime warranty on heat elements which apparently includes the plugs).

As for widder, I thought they were closing down shop. And that seems to be correct. Looks like they've given stock over to the IBA but I don't know about warranty work. If I were considering one or the other, that would make it easy for me to decide on any other competitor.

I've been using a Tourmaster liner for two years now and absolutly love it. Down into the high 30's I never run it over the low setting. it also comes with its own controller.

Yes, that was the idea! Something else I tested and is not published yet is Warm & Safe's REMOTE heat troller, which is absolutely fantastic. Another nail in the coffin of those old huge traditional hardwired controllers.

-MKL

I drove to work today, it was 2 degrees C when I left. Gerbing Jacket Liner, with temp controller set to max, and off I went. (Oh yeah, I love my RT heated grips and seats). Beautiful sunny day in Vancouver (Canada) today , but unseasonably cold for April.

Paul Mihalka
Yes, that was the idea! Something else I tested and is not published yet is Warm & Safe's REMOTE heat troller, which is absolutely fantastic. Another nail in the coffin of those old huge traditional hardwired controllers.

-MKL

Comment on the Warm'n Safe Remote Heattroller: I got mine mid December. I love it. It works as advertised, with very convenient installation and usage. But: Istructions say the battery in the remote should last one season. I guess it depends on your season. The battery in mine died yesterday. Well, it is the end of the season, but if I had it in November it would not have lasted the season. This is not a complaint, just a warning to keep some spare handy. It is a popular battery type, same as we have in the garage door opener. Just ordered 5 Sony on Ebay, $2.80 incl. mail.

I have a Widder vest, add on sleeves and heated gloves. Mine also quit. took a seam apart, pulled out the ofending wire and soldered it. These were American made and worked very well.

Widder is out of business as of last year, too bad.

Just purchased an Aerostich Air advantage liner, also American made. Nice. I like the fact it is Gortex, another water barrier.

Archived