IGNORED

First eyeglasses - multifocal?

Sailorlite

I've had two eye exams recently and both agree that I would benefit by wearing glasses. Until now I've been OK with the drugstore "reader" glasses only, and only occasionally do I wear them. But now I have prescriptions suggesting "multifocal" lenses to correct some distance astigmatism and add some near magnification.

I'm not sure what to do about this, if anything, but my first question is: for riding, is the bifocal/multifocal type a good idea? Or should I get only the distance correcting lenses - and would I still be able to see the instruments/GPS OK?

I never noticed a distance vision problem, but the possibility of better riding vision is intriguing.

Nice n Easy Rider

If you can see your instruments and GPS OK without any glasses then just go for the distance lenses. It will make your life much less complicated. And then if you want to get prescription sunglasses they will only need to be a single prescription and much more affordable.

I came up against the same 'age related' ditch a few years ago...and tried to ignore it for at least a year or more. A conversation with an LEO during which he expressed little sympathy for my claimed lack of ability to see the speedo clearly changed all that.

Since I had been using 'readers' for a couple of years previously, but never while riding, and I knew I could benefit ( according to my optometrist ) from a little distance correction I decided to go with 'progressive' style bifocal lenses.

2 months later I was back at the doc's where we decided that due to my seeming inability to deal with the 'graduated or progressive' transitional type of lens in favour of the more traditional 'executive' ( love the name...) bifocal lens. The problem for me was the slight nausea or queasy feeling produced while riding the bike and constantly looking in all quadrants for possible risk factors, ie, cagers, deer, and highway faults, etc. Also as a pilot in I found in the cockpit a sense ( no matter how vague...) of nausea is very unwelcome.

So I went with her recommendation and have been using the 'executive' style bifocal for the last 4-5 years. This involves having a clear lens delineation between the 'upper' or 'distance' portion and the 'lower' or 'reader' portion.

Works really well for me, but isn't for everyone. I have always preferred 'function' over 'form'...hence the BMW brand also :-). Plus an added benifit is that now I leave the glasses on all the time, and never have to wonder which room I left the darn 'readers' in last...ha,ha.

Jim

You will be surprised at how quickly your brain adapts to multi-focal lenses. For me it was near instantaneous.

In previous discussion of this subject, people were strongly opinionated for one or the other. I started with bifocals, which drove me crazy; I loved my first pair of variable focus lenses immediately. Jakfrost had the opposite experience...

Re price, the simpler the better; I have coated, photogray, high index transitional focus lenses, and they cost a bundle. As you may already know, polarized lenses are a no-no for riders, as you are likely to get horrible diffraction patterns with the face shield on your helmet.

I also have a memory metal (titanium alloy) frame, which has been absolutely wonderful. Normally, I beat frames up pretty badly, but this one is featherlight, and I think I'm on my third set of lenses in the same frame, which is probably 10 years old, without a hint of metal fatigue or bending, despite having been sat on a few times. An optometrist may grumble about putting new lenses in an old frame (lost profit), but if you insist, they should be willing to do it for you. It's tempting to go cheap on the frame for your first pair, but the frame may be more important than the lenses -- especially its interaction with a helmet, so take a helmet with you to make sure the two are compatible.

I've been wearing tri-focal transitions for years.

I pair takes care of all the distances and changes in the sunlight.

The first time I wore tham I thought I was in a Salvadore Dali painting, but I was also getting chemo and other drugs so YMMV.

Now, I wouldn't think of anyting else.

At 45 my first pair were bi-focal. Fought at first, now love them. So last week got the yearly check-up and new glasses. Asked if they had "rap-a-round" sunglasses. I got a pair of Nike, bi-focal for $155. Can't wear contacts, so this works for M/C and convertables.

I can't wear bifocals on the bike or when driving a car. The gauges are too far away for the reading section and too low for the distance portion unless I bobble my head up and down every time I want to glance at them. Also true for the RT's mirrors and my car's outside mirrors.

---

That's what trifocals fix, at least in my case.

Agree with the tri-focals. I have much better luck with the old fashion "lined" ones. For me the blended type (bi or tri) lense made me look directly at what I was reading...could not focus well if trying to look off center. This complicated my job of viewing computer and at the same time making written notes on the deck surface. Had to turn my head each time to see well with blended lenses...went back to lined lenses and it works well. Just another thing to consider.

I've worn glasses for 45 years, the last 10 were bifocals, the last 5 were progressives. It got to where single vision blurred the instruments bad enough that I had to make a change. Bifocals were easy to adapt to. Getting used to the line in the lens was easier than I'd expected, not so for others who try. The move to progressives was painfully long. The first try didn't go well. After 2 weeks I took them back and went back to lined bifocals. After a few years I tried again, and it went better. Don't know if it was me, or the lenses just got that much better. Bifocals and progressives seem to make distance and instrument reading seamless, not so for everyone, but works very well for me. I do find that the bigger the lens, the better progressives work. You gain a larger corrective field with a larger lens. I like the old, big triangular aviators, but recently tried a small rectangular lens. A bit of a mistake. And although I get progressives in photogray, just because I'm cheap, I also get a pair of sunglasses in lined bifocals (the darkest, biggest lens they'll let me have that will fit in a helmet).

I also now have 4 flip-front helmets where I used to wear strictly a full-face. Driven simply by the ability to leave my glasses on when donning/doffing a helmet.

Most eyeglass places have some kind of 'wearability' warranty timeframe that if you can't get used to the frame or lens, they'll change it out for limited cost, or free. Get your prescription, find something you like and go for it. It's not like a lifetime commitment, it's certainly something you can change or undo should the situation warrant. You may well find the correction is helpful enough that it relaxes your riding a bit. Somewhat like wearing well fitting earplugs for the first time, takes a bit of getting used to, but you find you're a bit less worn after a ride.

Good luck, man.

It seems to me that dashboard instruments on a motorcycle or car are significantly farther from my eyes than ordinary printed pages are. I notice that drugstore "reader" glasses blur print rather than clarify it if the distance exceeds about 24". If I get new prescription glasses for driving (only), wouldn't the "reading" part of any bifocals tend to fuzz the instruments rather than help? (Instruments aren't "near" and also aren't distant). I'm thinking distance-only lenses would be preferable for riding rather than bifocal lenses.

LeftCoastMan

There are some contact lenses that help with this issue, but from friends who've tried it, there is a several day adaptation phase. I've read a few journal reports where there has been excellent standard of life improvements from them. And they're perfect for motorcycling and any outdoors activities.

Nice n Easy Rider
It seems to me that dashboard instruments on a motorcycle or car are significantly farther from my eyes than ordinary printed pages are. I notice that drugstore "reader" glasses blur print rather than clarify it if the distance exceeds about 24". If I get new prescription glasses for driving (only), wouldn't the "reading" part of any bifocals tend to fuzz the instruments rather than help? (Instruments aren't "near" and also aren't distant). I'm thinking distance-only lenses would be preferable for riding rather than bifocal lenses.

Yes, that's exactly why I use only distance lenses for riding (and driving). My regular glasses are progressive, no-line lenses. The only downside is I sometimes have to put my regular glasses on to read a map (or menu). But the distance only for riding/driving allows me to leave one set of prescription sunglasses on the bike and another in the car at a reasonable price.

I've been wearing progressive lenses every day, including while driving and riding, for more than thirty years and would not think of going to bifocals for general use. The progressives are not good for working at a computer, so for that I have a special pair of bi-focals, with the top calibrated to the distance of the screen and the bottom focused on the keyboard.

I spent $500.00 for progressives..could not wear them..

I spent $500.00 for bifocals..better but still made me crazy..

I've prolly spent $500.00 on drug store readers (prolly own 100 pair) and that's the only thing that works for me..I keep a pair everywhere I think I may be or ever go..When my distance vision gets real bad I'll just have to stop looking far off.. :eek:

Good luck... :/

Properly fitted bifocals are not a bother. and if you are paying 500 buckos you are getting hosed. Go to COSTCO. widely accepted/approved for quality and price.

I gets blended bifocals and have had most pleasuralble experiences. We make you happy long time.

I was going to say something about 100 pair but I've been told to be nice.

Done the progressives. My distance is fine, it's the close up reading part I struggle with.

Wound up ditching the progressives and bought some +1.50 non polarized amber wrap arounds for $15 off ebay. Love em'.

Easy to see far and easy to see the GPS, gas pump instructions, and all the things I need the cheaters for.

I just carry a second set of clear cheaters in my pocket for inside use.

R1150RT_MLC_Response

I wear trifocals and do not have a problem with using them when riding. I cannot clearly see the instruments without them (same when driving the car). The first set were not the best so I asked the guy who did the test to retest taking a range of conditions into account. Took about a day to get used to the new ones and all is fine.

Only problem I have is when wearing a full face helmet. The fit isn't perfect and sometimes I wonder about the frames and lenses floating about during a crash.

There is one other option, they are bifocals but the lower area instead of being set for reaing text (I think at 7 to 10 inches) is set to read at a range of about 20 inches, more or less.

I have been using these for the past several years (five or more) and they really work well on the bike. There is a slight problem with reading text with these but you can do it in good light.

Just another option. Makes reading the GPS screen and the dash very easy. Also can be used for computers. In that case I have the upper larger area set for about two feet, or whatever the normal distance from eye to the computer screen is and the lower area set for reading text.....

The blended bifocals can be weird the first time they are worn. I've had mine 20+ years now and don't thinks about them. I ttied the regrular with the line and got ill viewing through them.

I request of the optician when I'm being tested/fitted that I want them to read up close because of the map in the tank bag. The Opto man referred that to the "financial" print reading.

So when I get my new glasses I'm good to go.

You will be surprised at how quickly your brain adapts to multi-focal lenses. For me it was near instantaneous.

Same here. I've been using them for a few years with no issues. When riding I usually wear contacts (optimized for distance)to avoid fogging up issues. When I really do need to see my GPS I wear a pair similar to these:

Reading Safety Glases

I bought mine at a rally from Bob's BMW but you can find them almost anywhere.

Archived