IGNORED

Spot Satellite Locator

p_interceptor

Well, I have one and I am not impressed. It does not track as stated and 'Oks" are often delayed by many miles. It does serve to give a general local of your last known position though. I doubt I would buy again. There are many other PLBs out there that work much better in a bad situation.

I have had one for 2 years and consider it a must have item for me. I camp in remote areas where there is no cellphone coverage. When my wife doesn't hear from me she's upset. With Spot I just push the "OK" button and it sends her my prerecorded message along with a Google Map pinpointing my location within feet! Of course the peace of mind of 911 availability and the "Help" feature were my main reasons for buying, but the "OK" button has proven to be a peace maker!!

malcolmblalock

My experience is more like jrussell's. I use it to give family a sense of relief knowing I'm okay. And the accuracy is variable; sometimes very good; sometimes several hundred feet away, depending on the array of satellites (which is true of all gps devices).

I had the original version SPOT and now have the SPOT 2. Both are excellent although the new one is supposed to be technically a little better. I just carry it inside my tankbag - the tracking feature works great and batteries last forever. My wife can follow my journey on a home computer and know I'm OK (which has made a very big difference in her attitude toward my solo touring). I haven't had to send any "help" messages but I'm confident that I could if necessary. I'm thinking, for me anyway, ATGATT now includes SPOT.

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Go to about page 4 and subs. of this post series. She got in trouble and used it. Granted, it didn't hurt for her to post a bikini picture previously and guys were coming out of the woods to help but, the thing works.

spot use

I have a Spot 1,does everything it's supposed to.

Wife and friends like the tracking feature and if I'm out

of cell range I can always at least send an"OK"message.

JR356

As it stands now, if I use my SPOT to request non-emergency help, that request goes by ordinary email to my wife, sister-in-law, and a non-riding friend. None of them would have much of a picture of what could have happened or how to summon appropriate local help. And although they would know my exact location, I could be 1,000 miles away from them. And I would be without cell phone coverage. (These help request messages are pre-programmed - they are not composed at the scene - they only say send assistance and give a location).

I haven't fully worked this out, but I'm thinking it might be possible to set up a forum or sub-forum here specifically to receive a non-emergency help request. Maybe there would be one of us closer to the scene who could respond to such a request.

Mine works as advertised, very consistent. But he's right, the non-emerg help msg. isn't much good since you can't compose a message on the Spot. That would be a nice new feature to ad.

But I bought mine ($49 with rebate) for the true emergency when/if it happens, and I feel it will perform reliably if I need it. It provides some peace of mine when I head out to places unknown alone.

I have one and use it. My family loves to know where I am.

Yes, the messages are pre-programmed but you get to write them yourself. Yes, you could be 1,000 miles away from them, and out of cell range but that is the point of having one. you can let someone know... and they also know exactly where you are.

The gaps in your path of travel as mentioned by an earlier poster can be explained as well... some gaps are caused by being in a place that that the satellite signal is not getting through. A limitation of course, but in general far better than being lost in the great unknown. In addition... the satellite spots are recorded based on time, so if you are traveling pretty fast... the gaps are larger.

I like mine...

The gaps in your path of travel as mentioned by an earlier poster can be explained as well...

Also, weak batteries mak a difference. Well before the original Spot unit give a low battery warning, if one notices a drop off in the tracking message receipt rate, try changing the batteries.

At least on my original version unit, I only occaisionally will miss a single message, and virtually never two in a row.

ElevenFifty

I use one. Mostly this is just for the family to keep track of my where abouts. Last September, I found myself parked on an Arkansas highway, having just watched a riding companion miss a turn, high side and total his GS. Luckily, he was uninjured and an Arkansas state trooper pulled up about 3 minutes after the spill.

As we waited for the wrecker to pick up the bike, I discovered that we were without any cell service (RARE with Verizon). If the wreck had occurred 2 minutes later ... if we were on the next road over ... and if my friend were injured - the Spot would have been the only communication we would have had.

I keep fairly fresh batteries in it (I have the original model) and I have found that the tracking is really good. Highly recommended.

SPOT needs a line of sight. One through hiker of the Appalachian trail was followed by fans using SPOT and the info was nothing short of SPOTty. Now given that the Appalachian trail is mainly a narrow path through many a peak and valley, one could argue that SPOT would narrow down his actual location substantially if an emergency arose. But so would a regular cellphone based on tower records.

IMHO, SPOT is an additional safety feature, just like ABS on a bike. But don't expect it to work in every situation. Also I find SPOT useful only for off-road travel, not for auto or bike touring.

Also I find SPOT useful only for off-road travel, not for auto or bike touring.

Come out west. Plenty of isolated rarely traveled roads out here with no cell phone coverage.

Difference in medical response time that a Spot unit may provide could be life saving. (and yes, lots of qualifiers in there, but some chance is better than no chance!)

I typically run the tracker function whenever I'm traveling long distance alone.

One through hiker of the Appalachian trail was followed by fans using SPOT

Was that Governor Sanford of SC? That might explain why the Spot was indicating an inaccurate location.

Starfighter

Karen and I were in on that search for the missing rider in Montana/Idaho.

Spot would have helped locate him where no cell coverage was available, if only by which road he took out of Lolo.

I now always carry a Spot and have found it to be very accurate in location. (tested it from the back deck and with satellite view it pinpointed the exact spot on the deck I was at.)

The last Iron Butt rally, almost every rider carried one.

Also have ours programmed to send a road service if needed and no cell coverage.

our friends/family follow our road trips and anticipate our arrival.

I am a believer.

Archived