IGNORED

What do you call the gizmo that converts a 12v cigarette...

FLrider

..plug into clips that I can hook up directly to the battery.

It's for a mini tire compressor. 15W. When I use the accessory plug with the BMW powerlet, it runs for about 2 seconds and quits.

If I plug it into my vehicle 12v, it runs fine.

Therefore, would like to run it right to bike's battery. I don't want to cut the 12v cigarette lighter end off the compressor.

Anyone know where you can buy one? Leaving on trip in May and getting prepared.

Here is the powerlet version : LINK

Another popular option is to re-wire your rear accessory outlet for a fused direct battery connection. I think Powerlet has a kit for this too.

Thanks to your leads, I found what I needed here:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1904112

Can plug the compressor right into the cig lighter part and then right to the battery.

Now I am wondering what the amp capacity of my accessory outlets are. If it won't run a 12v 15 amp compressor, what can you plug into it? Doesn't seem like you could use if for much of anything...

GPS? Radar? Small electronic stuff.

I thought I read guys using it to run their electric vests? ! Surely those draw more than 10 amps?

FL-

There is a major difference between a compressor and other types of electric loads. At turn on, a compressor's inrush current typically draws 7-12 times its rated running current. Depending on the duration of the inrush, this will or will not blow the fuse on your line to the power source. Chances are, it will in this case.

The other usual loads of heated gear, GPS, etc. also have inrush associated with them, but nowhere near the peak or duration of a typical compressor. Got to keep that in mind.

By the way, a typical electric vest (meaning no heated sleeves) is about 30-50W depending on brand, well within a 10A fused line's capability. 10A is enough for a vest and typical heated gloves.

-MKL

The Pep Boys, Auto-Kragen outlets do the same as sthe powerlet but at a more resonable price. One can fuse it for safety and back feed it with a battery tender too, also.

Haven't tried my compressor yet - thru the stock powerlet outlet - if the fuse can't take the surge can you go with a heavier fuse ? What can be damaged ?

Haven't tried my compressor yet - thru the stock powerlet outlet - if the fuse can't take the surge can you go with a heavier fuse ? What can be damaged ? [/quo

I notice that you ride a 02' rt that has a fuse box.

the OP has a 09 which dosn't have a fuse box

Archived