IGNORED

Basic GPS questions

mrduck

My Garmin Nuvi is good for "you are here" but I can't load my route of choice into it. So, I think I need to step up to something better that I can pick the roads I want, and then load the map into the GPS.

I don't need XM or Bluetooth or any of that kinda stuff,just something simple for my simple mind.

What's out there and where do I get it?

Thanks

Don J

My Nuvi works fine, but I don't use it on the bike. It is not water proof. Most people are using Zumo's on bikes that want a water proof GPS.

I use a Garmin 60CSX for my riding, but it has a small screen.

My Nuvi works fine, but I don't use it on the bike. It is not water proof. Most people are using Zumo's on bikes that want a water proof GPS.

I use a Garmin 60CSX for my riding, but it has a small screen.

My Nuvi works fine also, I just can't (that I know of) load a route that I've made into it. There is a slot on the side to put a SD card into but I thought that was for viewing pictures on. There's also a cord that plugs into the back that goes into my PC but no idea if or how to do this.

I live in the desert so waterproofing is not a big problem.

I really don't need the latest and greatest, no problem with last years models, so what's out there?

Don J

I have a Nuvi 550. I load routes and waypoints into on a regular basis. You need to have Garmin Mapsource loaded on your computer, and the Garmin version of a USB cable. (I don't know if it is special, I use the one that I got with my 276C) For me the big gotcha with the Nuvi, is that there is no way, that I am aware of, to get the audio out so that you can feed it into your AutoComm, or other intercom/audio system. Send an email to Garmin support, asking them what all you need. I suspect that Mapsource, and a cable is all that it takes.

LeftCoastMan

Some of the cheaper Garmin models don't allow you to do much computer software. If you review the models, it will say if you can add routes and stuff.

Most motorcyclists use the Zumo 550 600 or 660, because they're kind of beefy and waterproof. Also, you get all of the brackets to mount them on your bike.

There are a bunch of brackets and waterproof enclosures sold for some GPS units, so if that's an issue, you can find them.

It has been a little while, Christmas time, since I looked at the various units, but from my memory, the Nuvi 765t, is one of the few Garmin units other than the Zumo series that allows uploading routes from a computer to the GPS unit.

The Garmin website has the features for each unit/series to double check the storing/uploading of routes.

Archived