IGNORED

nuvi on bike?

farmerp

I currently have a Garmin 2610 and am thinking about updating. I am not interested in Bluetooth, XM ect. Costco has a nuvi 1450 for about $200. Will this work with the vibrations from the bike? Can I find a mount for it on my shelf? Is there a better model in that price range? I think I can make do without the waterproof part. A Zumo would be ideal but this fits my budget much better. Thanks.

I tried a Nuvi series and the biggest problem I had was seeing it in bright sunlight, which is a biggie if you think about it. The Nuvi is not built as rugged as the Zumo, but at least they use memory now instead of the old style GPS's of years ago, that used hard drives that were prone to failure on bikes.

I tried the cheap route, eneded up with a Zumo. I had this same debate with a fellow rider two years ago. He tried the cheap route and now has a Zumo.

Kinda in the same boat...thinking the same thoughts brother. I sold my Garmin 376 to a friend who needed the blue water capability, thought I would take the opportunity to grab a 'newer' zumo type GPS. Did a lot of looking around for the 550 but the price is still up there, despite the fact it is 'discontinued', and the darn 665, ( $1,000.00 with taxes Can$$), isn't even available yet.

So in the meantime I bought an XM radio from Best Buy for $29.00, my Autocom has bluetooth, and I have a Nuvi 760 that I'm thinking I'll try on the bike.

Like Tetz said, " seeing it in the bright sunlight", might very well be an issue but what the heck, I have it sitting in my truck, and I have a spare cradle for it, so I'm going to see what I can 'jury rig' up tomorrow...ain't got nuttin to loose :-).

Jim

...I think I can make do without the waterproof part. ...
I beg to differ, unless you live where "It Never Rains in California".

I'd suggest upgrading to waterproof units. One solution is continuing with the StreetPilot series. I bought my 2820 for less than $250 at GetWetFeet.com - brand new, about a season or two ago. Alternately, look for refurbished StreetPilot or Zumo units, I always had good luck with those.

One feature I looked for was the ability to store routes, don't think the Nuvi 14XX series does that. Take a look at the Nuvi 765T. At Costco you can get it with lifetime traffic and maps for around $240.

Not waterproof, but can work around that.

I have used the Nuvi 765T on the bike and unless the sun is directly behind and shining right on the screen there has not been a problem. I do not think the display on the Zumo series is any brighter, but I could be wrong.

At the above price, I could purchase three or four units for the same price as a Zumo. In fact, purchase a second Nuvi 765T for my wife as I am very happy with it.

The 2610 was a good unit, I had one on my VStrom and loved it. I need to replace it now, with something for the RT. I was leaning toward the Nuvi 550. It is waterproof with much of the same features as the Zumo's. Essentially the same screen. For what I use a GPS for, I can't justify the cost of the Zumo. I'd go for the 2820 if I could be sure of more than a year or 2 of new map availability. I would say to look at the Nuvi 550.

On occasion I use a nuvi. To get around the sunlight issue I bought a glare stomper from cycle gadgets. It shades the screen plus provides protection to the unit when not in use.

Archived