IGNORED

Shark Evoline Series 2 Helmet

marcopolo

A little while back I posted a link to a video of a French moto-journalist test riding the new VFR1200 from Paris to Dakar. Aside from the bike, I was quite intrigued by the guy's helmet. After a little digging I discovered he was wearing a Shark Evoline helmet -- the new 2010 (Series 2) version. Aside from other improvements claimed by Shark, the most obvious is a longer inner sun shade which addresses one of the criticisms of the original. This helmet is the only (to my knowledge) modular helmet which has DOT and ECE 22-05 ratings with the chin bar both up and down. The chin bar also folds right back over to the back of the helmet so you don't end up with that conehead look. I don't plan to ride with the chin bar up, but you can if you choose and still have a certified helmet. I didn't know anything about Shark helmets, but this model, and others, have received favourable reviews. I must say, having just received mine today, that it certainly looks and feels like a quality product. I can't comment yet on its on-road performance though. I'll use this helmet along with my HJC Carbon (in which Autocom headset is installed).

If you're in the market, you may want to check this one out.

http://www.shark-evoline.com/English.html

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/shark-evoline/dot/

I bought the original Shark Evoline last year and sold it after one ride. The visor was at the wrong height which looks like they fixed, but the helmet is just so damn heavy. I really didn't think a heavy helmet would bother me but it's so heavy you notice the extra weight as soon as you put in on your head. I where a size small and found out the shells are all the same size they adjust the size with the liner. No wonder the helmet looks so big on my little head. I wanted the helmet for figuring i would use it as an open face helmet on hot days while in traffic going slow. Turns out you can do that with a regular flip up helmet. I can ride with my HJC Symax II fliped up at 40 mph with no issues.

It is a bit of a pig in terms of weight, especially given my other helmet is a carbon fibre one. They pointed that out in the WebBikeWorld review I read before buying. Incidentally, they (WebBikeWorld) just received a Series 2 Evoline today for review purposes.

I rode with mine for a few hours today and it was fine. The sun visor seemed to work fine too. I'll know better after I've used it more. I'm used to riding with a full face with a dark tinted shield in the day. One advantage I discovered with the sun visor is that I can now fully open the visor at stop lights without being blinded by the sun. I suspect most long rides I'll have my other one one, simply because of the headset installed in it.

I got an original Evoline earlier this year as a replacement for a Shoei TZR. Yes, it's heavier, but doesn't feel like it by much. It's more quiet, but strangely it's affected by air turbulence more than the TZR (buffetting).

My main gripes are that the sun shield is only available in one color/darkness and that if you don't keep the sunshield and the gasket that it passes through meticulously clean, it will scratch through normal use.

Archived