IGNORED

Paint Protector Film

BMWAPRDUC

Firstly, I did a thorough Search for this information across all Forums and it appears that this topic has not surfaced before. Or perhaps it has, albeit buried in the depths of the rich content found here.

So here goes.....I notice that one can purchase a Paint Protector Film (PPF) for your bike. I have a R1200RT and anything that helps protect the paint from chips, stones, bugs, etc, seems to be a good thing. Having said this, too often when you take the steps to protect one thing, you give up on something else, i.e. it comes at a price. Anyone remember the old days when you had those door protectors that you would slide on a car door? While you ended up with no 'paint chips' on the edge of your door, the protector damaged the paint underneath it.

My Questions are;

1. Are there any negatives to applying these PPF kits?

2. Does it help protect the paint? It appears that it would have to be a certain thickness.

3. Is it easily removed (and replaced or tossed) without damaging the paint?

4. Is it easy to apply?

5. Any recommendations on a particular brand?

6. Where can I purchase?

Thank you for reading my post…A bigger thanks to you if you have feedback to share and have taken the time to do so.

Stay Safe, Ride Safe!

I had the 3M paint protection film installed on the lower front spoiler of my 2003 RT. I had it professionally installed in 2004 at the same time I had it installed on my Corvette. I will answer your questions based on my personal experience.

1. The 3M film has a slight orange peel finish and also has a tendency to slightly discolor (turns yellowish) over time. The discoloration is not noticeable on dark colors but is definitely noticeable on light colors - especially on white. Other than those issues, I do not see any negatives to applying the film.

2. It definitely protects the paint against bugs, sand and small stones. It will provide some protection from minor scrapes. It does not protect against impact from larger objects. The film has to be thin enough to be flexible to fit around bends and curved surfaces.

3. It is easily removed, but you might need some heat from a hair dryer to loosen the adhesive first. You will have to clean the surface with an adhesive remover after the film is lifted off.

4. It is not easy to apply. It took an experienced installer and a helper 6 hours to install the film on the nose, hood, mirrors and behind the wheel openings on my Corvette. I do not recommend that you install it yourself as a bike has many more compound curves than my Corvette does.

If you really want to do it yourself, I recommend that you buy two kits - one to experiment with and then the use second kit only after you are convinced you have learned the proper technique to apply it.

5. I chose the 3M film at that time because it had a clear coat finish similar to that used on automobile finishes and it retains it shine much better than competitor films did. In the past six years newer films may have been introduced that are as good or better than the 3M, but I have not researched the subject and cannot offer any other recommendations.

6. I suggest you Google the topic and do some further research. Perhaps others on the forum can offer additional advice.

John Ranalletta

1. Are there any negatives to applying these PPF kits? Another symptom of compulsive/obsessive behavior. :grin:

2. Does it help protect the paint? It appears that it would have to be a certain thickness. Yes. Snyder's 7.5 mil.

3. Is it easily removed (and replaced or tossed) without damaging the paint? Yes.

4. Is it easy to apply? With some practice. The 3M Scotchguard film has an adhesive (I think) so you only get one shot at getting it right.

Large, curved surface can present a challenge, but don't go crazy. Suggest you cover areas that are subject to abrasion as under tank bag, etc. On my CBRXX, I only covered the tank where my jacket zipper hits and the tank sides where knees contact it. It's up to you, but trying to cover the fairings seems a little overboard.

5. Any recommendations on a particular brand?

Snyder at Aerostitch

6. Where can I purchase?

See #5

From what the shop installer told me at the time I had Clear Bra installed on the front of my MX-5, any wax containing carnauba or any of the detailing sprays will turn the film yellow AND cause/contribute to denegration of the adhesive holding the film in place. My MX is dark blue so I would expect any color change in the film would be very subtle vs visibility on a light color. Don't know about denegration of the adhesive, yet at least.

Dennis Andress

The Tank Slapper. Sells pre-cut paint protection for the tank, or as a kit for most of the bike. He makes the film from two different materials: A vinyl that has no adhesive, but is easily removed and reinstalled. And, the 3M film which has an adhesive.

We bought two kits of the 3M material for our bikes. He has an installation video online, and printed instructions. It took me about 6 hours to wash and wax the bike. and then install the film. I found that it took lots of patience, but wasn't hard to do. The idea is to spray a mix of baby shampoo and water on the area you are working with and then put the piece of film down. The soapy water allows for the film to slide and stretch into the shape of the bike part -- as you squeeze the water out. The adhesive doesn't set until an hour or so after all the water is gone, allowing an opportunity to pull it off and try again. Watch for dirt and dust sticking to the inside of the film.

This guy shines on customer service. He told us to call day or night for help. The kits we bought didn't have pieces for the leading edges of the fairing. Probably a change that was missed between K1200 S and K1300 S. Laney called about it and was told: The next time somebody was at the dealership, they'd make a pattern and we'd be sent those pieces. Well, it took several weeks but they arrived yesterday, at no extra cost. He even remembered to send enough for two bikes.

+1, installed the full kit on my R1200RT in 2006. No peeling or yellowing to date. It has protected the most exposed parts of my bike (front fender, headlight, mirror covers, lower kick panels, saddle bags) free of dings and chips. I installed it myself with a lot of patience. It wasn't difficult but took some time to do it right.

Peter Parts

I think I got Tank Slapper stuff. Nice. But not everybody wants to live with slip covers over their living room furniture or views life purely in terms of protecting investments - some folks are happy to use the furniture upholstery feeling right even if it wears out.

I recently bought my first BMW and asked the dealer about this issue. They suggested going to a car window tinting place to get a clear film installed. I haven't done it yet, but I'm thinking about it.

Archived