IGNORED

Removing adhesive from paint

James H.

I need to remove the adhesive left behind by the sticky side of a velcro strip from the very lowest edge of the gas tank on my R1100RT. The velcro was originally used to secure a BMW tank bag; I'm going to mount a new (used) BMW bag and need to get this old, unusable strip/adhesive out of the way. What solvent would be recommended to get it loose and cleaned off without damaging the paint? Thanks in advance!

James

Joe Frickin' Friday
WD40.

+1. Gentle stuff, takes a little time, but won't harm your paint at all. When done, windex (or a complete bike wash job) will remove the WD40 residue.

Downey fabric softener towelettes. Dampen, apply, let soak. Remove. Also works awesome for getting love bugs off windshield and tupperware.

Gasoline is a good solvent, but you need to be careful using it, of course.

Brake cleaner (in a spray can) is also a very good solvent, but wear gloves and don't breathe it in.

Brake cleaner (in a spray can) is also a very good solvent, but wear gloves and don't breathe it in.

DO NOT USE BRAKE CLEANER! Some of the brands will STRIP paint. I have learned the hard way.......

Joe Frickin' Friday
Goo Gone also works.

Goo Gone compromised the powdercoat on a farkle of mine once. Not certain whether I had cured the powdercoat properly or not, but when they say "test on an inconspicuous area first," they're not kidding.

Thanks for the suggestions. :thumbsup: I think I'll give the WD a go and see what happens.

J

Definitely the best choice in terms of effectiveness, safety, and risk of paint damage.

Safest product I have found to remove adhesive is the white hand soap we use to clean our hands after working on your bike. Doesn't loosen the crud up quickly , but it does the job, let is set in the sun if possible. Does a nice job without ruining the surface.

Safest product I have found to remove adhesive is the white hand soap we use to clean our hands after working on your bike. Doesn't loosen the crud up quickly , but it does the job, let is set in the sun if possible. Does a nice job without ruining the surface.

Heat often helps soften it up. A hair dryer or careful use of a heat gun can help solvents work better. Sometimes heat alone will soften it up enough to just rub with a fingertip until it balls up.

If WD40 isn't effective try rubbing alcohol or simple green type solvent.

russell_bynum
WD40.

+1. Gentle stuff, takes a little time, but won't harm your paint at all. When done, windex (or a complete bike wash job) will remove the WD40 residue.

Yup.

Starfighter

Oil-Flo Safety Solvent

Removes goo, tar, sap, etc...with no harm to glossy paint.

Only product I ever found to quickly remove dried tree sap.

A bit spendy and hard to locate (internet only) but wouldn't be without a bottle.

I used GooBeGone to remove both of the large decals on the tank of my weestrom. Looks great! That decal was just not me.

RichEdwards

I use "De-Solv-It" with success. Removed tape adhesives and bumper sticker goo. Never had a problem with damaging paint but the label does say to "Test on an inconspicuous spot before using."

Being a painter I,ve learned that good old mineral spirits will take off most adhesives and not harm the finish.Also. xylol will also do the trick. That is the active ingredient in most adhesive removers, also will not harm a clear coat finish

I used WD on the velcro this weekend with great success. It loosened up the sticky, and with gentle persuasion, the stuff came off cleanly. I removed the WD with 'Windex' and applied the new velcro. Thanks for the suggestions.

Archived