IGNORED

Rear tire change by non-BMW dealer?

Deek

I planned to have a rear time changed on my '06 R1200RT with ABS brakes away from home at a Triumph/Ducati dealer in Pensacola. But they tell me that while they can change the rear without problems, I will probably get an "ABS out" light at least, and may actually lose my ABS until it's reset by a BMW dealer. So now I may just wait another 2 weeks to return home to replace the tire. It's in okay shape with probably another 2k worth of tread on it. But it would be more convenient to have it changed here.............

Has anyone had a rear tire changed by a non-dealer with an ABS equipped Beemer?

Thanks.

I've had 3-4 sets of tires put on my ABS equipped R12 by a Suzuki dealer over the last 3 years. They seem to balance them just fine.

ABS shouldn't be an issue at all. The system self-tests itself EVERY time you start the bike. That's what the blinking brake failure light is all about until you pull off.

Firefight911

Hogwash. Changing the tire will in no way affect the ABS.

However, if they use their torque values you'll damage your threads. 60nm on the rear studs. Someone else can chime in on the front as I don't recall that one.

CoarsegoldKid

What everyone has said is true about BMW tire changes. Some dealers can balance some can't. I had a rear replaced by a non-BMW dealer while on a trip. They took the tire to a car tire shop for balancing. I didn't even know they did this cause they wouldn't let me watch. They also put locktite on the bolts. I found this out the next time I needed to change the tire. If I were you I'd write the torque required for the bolts in your owners manual for reference should the need arise. Also as stated the ABS is a non issue. On an '06 RT there is no need to touch anything to do with the brakes on the rear. On the front remember they must force the brake pads open to reinstall the caliper so on a '06 RT which has a servo be sure to switch on the key and squeeze the brake lever before starting while it is still on the side stand.

I can't imagine where they could get this impression. It makes me wonder if they've *ever* changed an RT's tire, and what they think they could/would possibly do to cause this to happen. Although its dirt simple to me, if it seems that daunting to a dealer, I think you ARE wise to leave it be til you get back home. :P

What Bob says ! I have changed rear tires numerous times and NEVER had any issue with the ABS. Probably that shop was just scared of a BMW.

If you want the tire changed by people with BMW experience, call Matrixx in Tallahassee, 850-504-2390.

It isn't that far from the Pensacola area if you're heading east.

Disclaimer.

I have helped out in that dealership recently.

But, they are the only place for a couple hundred miles with actual beemer expereinced tech and parts.

LeftCoastMan

Not that I have anything against Yamaha or Honda service shops, but it's always nice to stick with guys who know something about our bikes. I use this list of independent BMW service shops. I've used a couple of the guys in California, and they charge about 30-40% less than BMW dealers for labor (of course YMMV). You can buy your own parts and bring them with you, or they will have parts, but since they are not real BMW shops, they may not have everything. Of course, in my experience, real BMW shops don't carry every part.

Angel City in Los Angeles have really nice people, who are into their BMW's.

During a trip to AK, I stopped at Prince George Yamaha as the new tire I expected to last 9k miles lasted only 6. They were kind enough to order a tire while I was on the way up, and have it available for mounting when I was on the way back down. In the parking lot, put the bike on the centerstand, took the wheel off and rolled it in, and they gave it back to me in short order. I would have changed the tire with irons but figured for the effort of getting the tire shipped in the least I could do was pay them to mount it. Getting the wheel off and on is the easy part.

Change it before you go. Stuff like that loctite comment make me cringe. beech (using Loctite acts as a lube and you need to adjust your torque factors down ususally about 15% and, BMW does not call for loctite on this fastener at all. Clean and dry.) Then there is the issue of no balance, probably not an issue but hey. Gather some local buddies and buy a tire machine and do your own tires, save a bundle.

"I use this list of independent BMW service shops."

Thank. I saved that link for future reference. I decided to give a call to my BMW shop back home and ask their opinion also just to be on the safe said. I know the guy well enough to know he'll give me a no BS opinion on having the tire changed down here at a Triumph/Ducati shop. I'd prefer to just wait until getting back home, but if I can change the tire here (Pensacola) it means I have stay here for another week or so. And right now the weather and water down here are wonderful. :Cool:

Hogwash. Changing the tire will in no way affect the ABS.

However, if they use their torque values you'll damage your threads. 60nm on the rear studs. Someone else can chime in on the front as I don't recall that one.

That's a good point. I don't have my service manual with me on this trip. I'm not familiar with the 60 nm - how's that relate to foot pounds?

So the consensus is no Lockite (for sure!) and the correct torque on the rear tire nuts and there ought not be any ABS issues....but maybe a balancing issue, which probably isn't a big deal?

Thanks guys, as usual you have exceeded my expectations! :clap:

Deek,

If you're that concerned you have the option I cited above.

They've changed thousands of BMW tires.

Enjoy the great weather we're having.

Best wishes.

LeftCoastMan
"I use this list of independent BMW service shops."

Thank. I saved that link for future reference. I decided to give a call to my BMW shop back home and ask their opinion also just to be on the safe said. I know the guy well enough to know he'll give me a no BS opinion on having the tire changed down here at a Triumph/Ducati shop. I'd prefer to just wait until getting back home, but if I can change the tire here (Pensacola) it means I have stay here for another week or so. And right now the weather and water down here are wonderful. :Cool:

Yeah, nice weather and water trumps waiting IMHO! LOL.

Deek,

If you're that concerned you have the option I cited above.

They've changed thousands of BMW tires.

Enjoy the great weather we're having.

Best wishes.

I called John Kiley's Cycle World in Pensacola, and got a totally different "vibe" from the folks at the Pensacola Triumph dealer. The service manager at Cycle World said no problem at all, bring it tin. So that's what I'll do. :Cool:

I did discover I had the BMW's Owners Manual in the top case, and I read over the procedures for removing and installing the rear wheel. It's much less complicated that I'd feared; as many here have told me, the ABS just is not a factor.

TLH is just too far away for me. I'm down in Pensacola in our RV, doing our "spring thing". Ordinarily I don't have my mc with me, so this trip is a treat, even having to fool with the tire change. But I do want it changed before we tow the RV and mc trailer back home and I start my NM trip in mid-May. I really don't have time to take it to the shop between the time we return home and when I leave for Farmington NM.

I have changed tires my self on my 2000 RT and my 2007 RT and have had no abs or any other problems at all.

Yeah, I think the first dealer (Pensacola Triumph dealer) just didn't want to do the tire change and used ABS as an excuse perhaps.

Archived