IGNORED

iPad on a Bike

Ken H.

Anybody have a motorcycle mount for the iPad out yet that we know of? I really need to be able to surf "Other Topics" of BMWST.com while riding.

LeftCoastMan
I'm having problems Bluetooth-ing my iPad to the Zumo 660 so that I can upload new routes while on the move. :)

Oh, you aren't serious, are you? :D

LeftCoastMan
Anybody have a motorcycle mount for the iPad out yet that we know of? I really need to be able to surf "Other Topics" of BMWST.com while riding.

This will be a very critical issue when you have to determine what oil you require in your bike. :rofl:

Firefight911

Found it!!

Ken, you doubt the creative juices of the entrepreneurial spirit too much!!! This mount will easily bolt on to your RAM mount!!!!

Happy riding!!!

The ram-mount looks usable; the other is just a big suction cup with a 5 lb load limit, which could easily be exceeded with a good bump or pothole. I've seen laptops mounted on Iron Butt bikes; the iPad actually seems like a good idea, if you can charge it while running. But, what a thief magnet!

What size RAM mount has anyone used to get a 42" Sony plasma on the clutch lever side? And what have you used on right side to counter this added weight...I was thinking may be a small two-wheeled grinder or small file cabinet? I realize this means no more windshield due to its interference, but I get a lot of helpful touring maps and videos from the Travel channel during my rides. Thanks.

I'm trying to work through the physics of this: would the drag of the plasma TV on the left handlebar make the bike pull to the left or to the right? Counter-steering suggests the extra drag on the left would result in PTTR unless you have a stiff tailwind. But, the added weight suggests PTTL. Can the BMW alternator handle the extra power demand of a plasma TV? An LED flat screen should draw less power than a plasma display. :grin:

I'm not making this up: Around 1975 near Elkhorn Slough, we passed a guy on a Honda 350 carrying a full size surfboard, riding into a stiff NW headwind. :dopeslap:

Selden,

Surfboard on a 350.... hmmmmm not to one up you, but in the three years that I lived in Japan, I saw longboards being carried on 50cc scooters. Through traffic and everything. Very humorous to watch. :grin:

~Josh

I'm trying to work through the physics of this: would the drag of the plasma TV on the left handlebar make the bike pull to the left or to the right? Counter-steering suggests the extra drag on the left would result in PTTR unless you have a stiff tailwind. But, the added weight suggests PTTL. Can the BMW alternator handle the extra power demand of a plasma TV? An LED flat screen should draw less power than a plasma display. :grin:

Thanks for the input...I have two actuaries and three NASA engineers working on it...otherwise the engineers would have nothing to do.

Selden,

Surfboard on a 350.... hmmmmm not to one up you, but in the three years that I lived in Japan, I saw longboards being carried on 50cc scooters. Through traffic and everything. Very humorous to watch. :grin:

~Josh

Proving we have no monopoly on idiots. Last week I heard a story about Vietnam's text messaging champion, who acknowledged that texting while riding her motorcycle slowed her down 40-50% due the need to pay attention to traffic around her.

LeftCoastMan

Wasn't there a post on this forum recently where someone configured his GS to carry a mountain bike? Maybe I hallucinated it while watching the Red Sox crumble this year.

I did see a couple on a Harley Dyna last week. The female passenger had an old style 19" TV resting on her left leg and she appeared to be gripping it as tightly as she could. I changed lanes quickly to get out from behind them. All the while thankful I was in the cage.

I am actually looking at using the iPad on my bike, and putting it in a map holder on a tank bag. People are reporting 8 to 10 hrs of battery life so no problem with messing with a power mount. On my ipod touch I use the anti-glare film from www.powersupportusa.com and plan on doing the same with my iPad.

What chu's thinks?

:rofl:

I have an ipad G3 on order. I plan to carry it in my RT tank bag or the top box when on the road. Then, I'll take it out and use it when I stop.

For excitement on the move, I just take a turn off my Zumo 550 route and listen to the lady's exasperated voice trying to get me back on course, then, with slight disgust, announcing that she is "recalculating".

LeftCoastMan

I have an ipad G3 on order. I plan to carry it in my RT tank bag or the top box when on the road. Then, I'll take it out and use it when I stop.

Pre-ordered iPad 3G's are arriving at houses right now. :clap:

LeftCoastMan
I actually originally started this thread tongue-in-cheek. I should have known better!

It appears that people are finding ways to mount them in cars and on bikes. I bet there will be a tank bag for it sooner than later.

I am waiting til June when iPad 2 comes out with a USB port and 3g capability. Also I am mounting it directly on my helmet with a flip/down up feature......

I've linked my netbook to my Laminar lip for a HUD.

VRP allows Bluetooth operation.

Some glare issues in high sun but works great in low light and dark.

When it rains, I can angles the Laminar Lip so that the images will appear just above the top of the screen.

I can get better results with that technique if I'm in very heavy fog as the image is much more stable.

You should see the looks I get when I run my bootleg Avatar disc and get a 3D holographic image hovering just in front of my bike heading down the road.

LeftCoastMan
You should see the looks I get when I run my bootleg Avatar disc and get a 3D holographic image hovering just in front of my bike heading down the road.

Stealing movies? Hmmmmm.

• 1 month later...

I have a bags connection (SW Motech) tank bag. I got the bags connection map holder which attaches right to the tank bag with clips at the top and velcro at the bottom. The case is just big enough to fit the iPad with a 90 deg. 1/8" connector and the charging cable. I'm using the Navigon gps app which works great. I just wish I could run Pandora and the Navigon at the same time.

Oh yeah, the GPS does NOT need 3g to work.

LeftCoastMan
I have a bags connection (SW Motech) tank bag. I got the bags connection map holder which attaches right to the tank bag with clips at the top and velcro at the bottom. The case is just big enough to fit the iPad with a 90 deg. 1/8" connector and the charging cable. I'm using the Navigon gps app which works great. I just wish I could run Pandora and the Navigon at the same time.

Oh yeah, the GPS does NOT need 3g to work.

Very cool.

Wait until June 24. On that date iOS 4.0 will be out, and you will be able to run Pandora and Navigon at the same time (they will have to update the apps to do so, but iOS 4.0 apps are already out).

Yes, GPS does not require 3G to work, but only if the maps are stored on the iPad. Apple calls their system aGPS, for "assisted". It uses the 3G network to more quickly locate the iPhone or iPad, but I have had no issues with GPS being very fast while not connected to 3G.

I personally prefer Map Candy from Accuterra as a mapping/navigational software, because it has more detailed maps off the paved roads. GS people would love the app. I think for a small upfront fee ($10?), you get unlimited access to all kinds of maps to download to your iPhone. But it's not yet iPad sized, so I've gone with another app.

But if you use it for navigation, then Navigon is great.

To be honest, if I could find a method to use the iPad with my gloves on (the iPad screen requires a change in capacitance, which skins does well, gloves don't), I could dump my Garmin.

• 2 months later...

Archived