IGNORED

"Ride-On" flat tire system?

Sailorlite

I've scheduled a front and rear tire replacement for next week, and the dealer's service dept. is asking me to consider adding Ride-On Tire Protection System tire sealant to each wheel ($20 ea.).

Ride-On's own promotional information sounds pretty good, but I'm wondering whether any of us have any real life experience with this stuff. They say it seals, helps balance, and is non-corrosive... and is better than their competitors' stuff. I have a longish solo trip coming up in a few weeks and would like to minimize the risk of a flat tire, if possible.

Firefight911

Do you suddenly find that all the flats you've been experiencing have somehow been a problem to date?

Tongue in cheek!!!!!

Take along your plug kit and just go ride. I wouldn't bother with the stuff. But that's just me.

I'd say give it a shot, with some conditions..... one of which is Dealer make said reecommendaiton will bear all costs of pick up, transport, replacement tire should this system not prevent future flats. Seriously though - - ask any one who changes tires about the mess these products make of the wheel.

Firefight911

You gotta love this from the product MSDS - and I quote -

Note to Physicians

...If medical care will be delayed several hours, use three to four 1-ounce “shots” of 86-proof

or higher whiskey before or during transport to the hospital...

I'm in!!!!! :)

Any company who claims an increase in fuel economy by adding 9 ounces of their "stuff" in my 180-55/17 tire falls under snake oil with me.

For what it's worth, I used Ride-on with a previous machine and tubed tires. I couldn't tell that it did or didn't affect balance. But then balance isn't much of an issue with me anyway. I did have a flat with this. It was a 2" staple in a rear tire and when I found it, the tire was flat (the staple had not ripped the tube). Ride-on does warn that you must check the tires regularly for puncture items. As the tire was completely flat and I didn't have an air source at the time, I got a can of fix-a-flat and it got me home. As for the mess these things are suppose to make, it's been my experience that this material simply hoses out with water. After the fact, I'd say you'd be better off investing in an aftermarket TPMS that will let you know you have an issue that may be progressing without having to 'discover' it.

I used this stuff despite the little voice in my head saying, "Hey, what about the TPM getting messed up?" I even asked the dealership and they checked on this possibility and said that it should not be a problem. I paid for the stuff and a few miles later my little voice said "Told you so!" I would not recommend this crud. I was still planning on carrying my patch kit anyway so it was a bad decision...for me, at least. Perhaps you may have better success; perhaps you don't have TPM.

I use it in my /5's tubed tires The specified amount for the tire size does not affect balance (at least to 100 MPH).

I wouldn't bother for tubeless. I can plug those in a few minutes, no problem.

Archived