IGNORED

Flip up Helmet

AZKomet

Ok, I think I am done with my full face Scorpion EXO 1000. Nothing wrong with it but I have been longing for another flip up. So any ideas for a replacement? No Nolan's, HJC as I find they don't fit well. Must be quiet and have a lot of comfort.

No Shuberth either please!! Thanks! Dave

malcolmblalock

Just bought a Shoei Multitec while in Daytona last month. I had the Nolan 105 for 5 years before that. Both flip ups.

The Shoei has ventilation! It's the only helmet I've ever owned where you can actually feel air flowing through the helmet. I love that. It's also quieter than the Nolan, and almost exactly the same weight. I really like it.

Only negative is the D-ring fastener. I loved the Nolan ratcheting fastener; it's the way to go. Otherwise the Shoei is the best I've owned. Pricey, yes, but I got a real deal on it, making it somewhat competitie, price-wise.

Dave,

Just bpought the Scorpion 900 flip up in high viz.

I look like a highliter.

:grin:

But it is the same brand as what you were wearing so fit should be comparable.

Remember though, a flip is noisier than regular full face.

So far I like mine a lot.

The Nolan seems more substantial, but didn't come in hi viz neon to match my vest.

:P

Dave,

Just bpought the Scorpion 900 flip up in high viz.

I look like a highliter.

:grin:

But it is the same brand as what you were wearing so fit should be comparable.

Remember though, a flip is noisier than regular full face.

So far I like mine a lot.

The Nolan seems more substantial, but didn't come in hi viz neon to match my vest.

:P

Hmmmm...I did not know they made a flip up! Thanks! Will check it out.

Just bought a Shark Evoline Series 2 and am impressed with it. You can check it out on Shark's website, or read the review on WebBikeWorld (the DOT version, not the review of the European model). The one sold in North America is both DOT and ECE 22-05 certified. It's the only flip-up I know of that is certified with the chin bar both down (naturally) and up. It folds up and right back over the top. The ones you'll see reviewed are the original; they've made some improvements in the Series 2, e.g., longer internal sun visor.

Here's a very recent thread on it that I started:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=589866#Post589866

I've had the Shoei Multitec for 2 years plus and also own an HJC flip up and the Shoei, though pricey is by far the better product. Can't tell you about the others but this is where good product reviews have to be looked at because you'll rarely get a demo test in them. I think the chin vent in the Shoei is basically useless, but the top vents work very well.

Bruce

Hi. I just bought a Shoei Multitec. My first flip-up. Been using it for a few weeks and love it. It also feels a little lighter than my RF-900 (although I haven't actually weighed either.) If you decide on a Multitec, I found that I had to get a size "XS" even though I've used a size "S" Shoei RF-series helmet for many years. (Is that just me?) Good luck!

---John.

I have the Multitec for work and I really like it. I also have the Nolan (older model) for my personal riding, and it is nice as well although it is overdue for replacement. As others have mentioned the ventilation on the Shoei is nice but the D rings stink. The Nolan has a much better means of securing the strap. I really don't know why D rings are still so common. I use an adapted clasp on my shoei, and will do the same on any D ring helmet. I will be replacing the Nolan soon and am seriously considering the HJC & the Scorpian. I like the internal sunvisor feature of these helmets. I am also looking at the Weimar Jiano. Anyone have experiance with it?

... D rings stink. The Nolan has a much better means of securing the strap. ... I will be replacing the Nolan soon and am seriously considering the HJC & the Scorpian. I like the internal sunvisor feature of these helmets.

Totally agree!

I have 4 flip helmets in the garage, my old Nolan N100 (the only one without second 'sun' screen), HJC SyMax, Caberg Justissimo, and a new Nolan N103. I prefer the N103 by far as I guess I have a 'Nolan head', and the ratchet strap makes it an easy decision, as well as the chin bar release is easy to operate and smooth. The Caberg is next best, it also has a quick strap, but not a ratchet type, more like the aftermarket kind. Would not recommend it as they are no longer imported and a recent shield replacement was very costly having to come through the only vendor I could find (in England). The HJC is not a bad hat, but it's no quieter than the Nolan (none are as quiet as I'd like, I do wear earplugs). Nolan N102's are still available new for bargain prices, but as their first crack at a 2nd sunshield, they simply attached the shield to the outside, I'd recommend a 103.

+1 on the Shoei. Love it. I have a couple of Nolans(for me & pass.) the faceshield mechanism is broken(won't stay open) and the flip mechanism is flimsy compared to the Shoei. I agree on the strap clip, but I wonder how sturdy the plastic clip on the Nolan would be in a crash. The Shoei is super comfortable and awesome ventilation.

Schuberth helmets are not supported in the US. This means no parts, no dealers, no help. There are a few dealers that have some inventory, but when that's gone it's gone.

Silly really.

Do you get the system series of helmets from BMW?

Reason I ask is that it's a possiblity that BMW may have asked Schuberth not to import the Schuberth mark to the US.

They appear to have been making Bimmer's lids for quite some time.

From Here

The first helmet manufacturer of its kind, Schuberth has been developing and constructing flip-up helmets since 1980 - initially exclusively for BMW and since 1998 under its own name. Schuberth flip-up helmets have always been the benchmark for the helmet segment. Whether you look at the Schuberth Concept, the C2 or the current C3: the original has often been copied - and this continues to be the case with each product generation - but its technical superiority and high level of comfort have never been matched.

Paul Mihalka

There is no reason for BMW to ask Schubert not to sell helmets in the USA, as BMW does not sell helmets here.

Archived