IGNORED

Touratech Zumo 660 mount

GreatDaysAhead

GreatDaysAhead

Has anyone used or is using the locking Touratech mount for your 660 Zumo? If so what device are you mounting it to? Do you like it? Easy to use? Do you feel it is secure and locks up the Zumo?

I fitted one a couple of weeks ago and it seems fine to me. I'll confirm that on a long run down to the Spanish GP during the next two weeks.

I've mounted mine on the RAM support that came with the Z660. It's very easy to use.

A couple of things to note when you start using it:

Lift the safety latch before trying to turn the key, and put the Zumo rain cover on the mount before locking. There's a safety screw that prevents the Zumo release catch from moving once it's locked.

OK, they're only simple things, but I still get caught out!

The only thing I find, is that the key is sometimes a tiny bit difficult to turn (even with the safety catch off!) but that will probably sort itself out in time.

As far as security is concerned, someone with tools, in a dark alley will still manage to dismantle it, but for normal use, it's fine. I'll definitely replace the big plastic knob on the RAM mount with something less tempting...

Kev

I agree with the above.

Mine is mounted on my 1200RT on the Touratech mounting that places it just above the ignition key - not the bracket that fixes to the top of the fascia, above the instruments.

I like the security aspect if I'm say filling up, although I always like to keep an eye on the bike anyway.

If leaving it any longer, I still slip the unit out of the mount & into my pocket.

RichEdwards

I'm sure the Touratech Zumo 660 mount is a fine piece of equipment. But I don't see the need for it. The Garmin provided mount is very secure while riding. And the unit is so easy to remove that I always put the 660 in my pocket or in a locking bag when I get off the bike. My routine is to remove the bike key and the Zumo at the same time.

I spent the money I would have used for the Touratech mount on Garmin's Lifetime Map Subscription

LeftCoastMan

I got the Touratech bracket for the 550, but it works in the same way. It's an expensive farkle, so there are probably some good arguments to not buy it, but here is why I did:

1. I experienced an inadvertent pop-up of the locking mechanism on the OEM bracket. Nearly lost my 550. I've read where that's happened a couple of times, and it could be a result of user error (I think that was my issue) or bad design. You can prevent these issues by locking down the security screw. But that is annoying because you have to use that small screwdriver to open or lock.

2. You can replace the security screw with a thumbscrew available from Touratech too. It's a very inexpensive solution, but it completely negates any security you might have when running to the bathroom or buying some munchies at a gas stop. Now, even with the security screw visible, it's not that easy to figure out how to get the 550 or 660 out of the mount.

3. The Touratech bracket is a big, beefy, German-engineered, over-designed thing. But, it would be difficult to get my 550 out of it without some major investment in time and effort from a thief. I'm pretty confident I can be away from my bike for a few minutes without someone getting my Garmin.

4. The time to lock the bracket or remove my Garmin is much quicker than the thumbscrew and tons faster than the silly screwdriver.

5. The 550 version has some shock absorption, so that might give me a longer life on the 550, but I have no evidence one way or another.

I really like my bracket. It does make me feel secure.

The 550 and the 660 (665) are very different animals when it comes to mounting. 550 conclusions don’t necessarily apply to the 660.

Presonally I’ve never been overly impressed with the quality of Touratech much of anything and the OEM Garmin 660 motorcycle mount seems quite secure.

LeftCoastMan
The 550 and the 660 (665) are very different animals when it comes to mounting. 550 conclusions don’t necessarily apply to the 660.

Presonally I’ve never been overly impressed with the quality of Touratech much of anything and the OEM Garmin 660 motorcycle mount seems quite secure.

Wow, I'm an idiot. Didn't know there was a difference between the 550 and 660. :dopeslap:

/End sarcasm

Archived