IGNORED

Riding Pants Recommendations

OlGeezer

I need a new pair of riding pants. They need to be cool since I ride mostly in Southern California and the Southwest. During the winter, I wear Merino Wool long johns which work pretty well. They need to be waterproof (or as waterproof as Gortex can get). I'm not looking for overpants. I also don't want to spend over $300. I still have to buy gas.

The BMW pants are expensive and the last pair I had didn't last very long. The seams came apart. I've looked at Aerostitch Darien Lights. My local dealer carries a line of Rev'it clothing. I looked at a couple of pair which seem interesting.

Thank you,

Aerostitch Dariens, Or the bottom half of the Road crafter. Oh, 300$ speed limit. I did pick up a pair of Belstaff cordura jean cut pants with pockets for pads, which I filled.

Only $25 on clearance at a rally. Have you checked the Chapparrall on line catalog? Got a jacket cheap there onest.

Hi, Bill.....

I have a pair of Dianese textile pants that I use in summer. They have knee armour and some hip padding. Flaps above the knees open up for mesh venting. With long johns they're good in winter down to about 35 degrees.

ElevenFifty

I think my Olympia Air Mesh pants are wonderful. The rainproof liners are not my favorites but they are VERY warm and have served me well in downpours. Without liners the mesh is very cool.

I travel with both the rainproof liners and with a set of bib style rainpants. Those plus a pair of sweats or thermal underwear and you are good from sizzling to freezing.

+1 on Olympia. For the money the best in my opinion. They make several models but the Airmesh would be best for S.Cal. In Florida it is a year around pant. The pros are: The waist comes in actual waist size like 32" or 34", Not small or medium. The front pockets have zipper closures so you always know where your wallet and cell phone are hiding. Armor and hip armour and zippers on the outside leg the full length of the pant. Well thought out. Check them out.

Cons: None

+1 on Olympia. For the money the best in my opinion. They make several models but the Airmesh would be best for S.Cal. In Florida it is a year around pant. The pros are: The waist comes in actual waist size like 32" or 34", Not small or medium. The front pockets have zipper closures so you always know where your wallet and cell phone are hiding. Armor and hip armour and zippers on the outside leg the full length of the pant. Well thought out. Check them out.

Cons: None

Well . . . you'll probably have to have a seamstress make the legs the right size for you, which may be more involved then it looks, ie: having to move the velcro straps. In my experience, it cost more then the Oly web site suggested, YMMV.

Just sayin'

I have been wearing a set of these for about a year now. Leave the liners out and they are fine. Not quite waterproof, but decently water resistant.

Mrs. Caddis

I just bought the Olympia Airglide 3. Got caught in the rain last weekend. They worked great. Another plus is the liner can be worn by themselves when you get off the bike. Re: shortening them, it is easily done. I modified my husbands Airglide 2 pants, but instead of moving all the velcro, I shortened them just below where the zipper ends. Made a much cleaner alteration.

I think my Olympia Air Mesh pants are wonderful. The rainproof liners are not my favorites but they are VERY warm and have served me well in downpours. Without liners the mesh is very cool.

I travel with both the rainproof liners and with a set of bib style rainpants. Those plus a pair of sweats or thermal underwear and you are good from sizzling to freezing.

The one thing that concerns me about mesh clothing in general is how well do they protect? I know a few years ago when they first came out (and I think I was one of the first to buy a mesh jacket), there were reports posted very quickly about how they fall apart during a slide.

Has this aspect been improved? After all, the main reason I wear motorcycle pants instead of jeans is protection.

Thank you,

Another vote for Olympia Airlide. I've had mine for four years now and they are still going strong. Most comfortable riding pant I own.

I've found that the liner worn over the pants works very well for those chilly or rainy mornings. When conditions improve, it's very easy to get the liner off because of the full length zippers. Don't even have to take off the boots!

The liner is finished like a pair of nice exercise pants so it looks good and it will roll up into a tight package (secured with a velcro strap) to store in a small space.

I have a pair of Dianese textile pants that I use in summer. They have knee armour and some hip padding. Flaps above the knees open up for mesh venting. With long johns they're good in winter down to about 35 degrees.

Are you referring to the D-System D-Dry pants?

They look pretty good.

Another vote for Olympia. I have the Ranger pants, which are the highest level of protection in their line. I have had them during the summer here in Atlanta and they do darn good. Fairly waterproof, too. I am going to wear them on a trip to Arizona and Colorado in June, so I will have a better trip report after we get home.

I have the Motoport kevlar pants and the Olympia Recon 2 tech mesh jacket and pants and I really like the convertibility of the Recon 2. You can actually take off the lower half of the pants and use them for shorts after a ride. Very breathable and much more affordable then the Motoports.

The motorports are seriously built to withstand some abrasive conditions if you know what I mean. Depends on budget I guess.

Here's the link to the Recon 2.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/recontransformer/recontransformer.htm#MP145 Recon 2 Pants

Bruce

Archived