IGNORED

Riding shoes

Froggy

Now that I am back into riding I have been picking up piece by piece my riding gear.Helmet,armor jacket,armor pants,armor gloves,synthetic underware(oh yeah).

Its time 4 my feet.

I would like some sugg.on this.I never had armor anything 10 years ago when I used to ride (ok I had a full face,Im NOT that dum),I do not want tall boots but am looking 4 something I can wolk around in once I get off the bike.Something that will protect my ankles and yet not be higher than hiking boots.

OK,lets hear the wisdom of the ages :lurk:

I'm sure there are bunches of good boots, opinions and experience out there. I have BMW airflow 2 boots, great in the heat and easy to walk in for a while. Worthless when running through deep water or in cold weather. Ankel support & protection, zip up and velcro. Not too tall... just right for 45 degrees + on the RT. As I recall, about $200. Good investment IMHO. YMMV.

I bought a pair of Red Wing No. 406 hiking boots that I have been using on and off the bike for about 5 years now. They are waterproof, protect my ankles, tough, a breeze to walk in and supremely comfortable. I just had them re-soled this month so they're all set for the next 5 years. Just make sure you tuck the laces in before you ride.

Jay

My vote's for Sidi. My last pair lasted well over 100k miles before I retired them for being just plain funky after all that time. I replaced them with BMW's "Allround" boots which so far have been almost as comfortable as the Sidis, though the BMWs seem to wear like iron. I wouldn't be surprised if they last longer than I do.

Re shorter boots, it only happened once, but I was riding behind a pickup truck and a strong blast of wind carried a small piece of timber out of the bed, which hit the road and struck my shin. Boy, was I glad I had a taller boot on. The Sidis I had (Onroad Simpatex) were very tall, but not particularly padded on the shin. Nevertheless, it sure helped in that instance. The BMW boots are heavily padded in the shin, but not as tall as the Sidis.

I love the waterproof, super rugged boots. I use them to ride, to hike, to work when waterproof footwear is required, to snowmobile, and much more. You really get your money's worth out of good motorcycle boots.

-MKL

Paul Mihalka

I have several pairs of boots for riding, but when I travel, some times for over two weeks, my only foot gear is my Cruiserworks boots. Comfortable to walk in, fully waterproof, seem to be indestructible. I just had mine resoled the second time. Only shortcoming, you trade some safety - no armor - for comfort. If I would keep only one pair of boots, that would be the one.

http://www.cruiserworks.com/

I bought a pair of Red Wing No. 406 that I have been using on and off the bike for about 5 years now. They are waterproof, protect my ankles, tough, a breeze to walk in and supremely comfortable. I just had them re-soled this month so they're all set for the next 5 years. Just make sure you tuck the laces in before you ride.

Jay

I am currently using my Fabiano hiking boots that rise about 2 inches above my ankle and lace all the way to the top.I have hiked and camped for a week in these boots and they are very comfortable.Is this all I really need in case of fall for ankle support?What I am asking is do U really really need full size boots,and why?

Seven pages of boots here. Take a look. :thumbsup:

Pat

Thanks 4 the site Pat,I also like how they put in a few knives with the boots.Is that in case U have a break down and have to splice some wires,or skin some road kill so U don't starve? :grin::rofl:

I love my Sidi onroads. Just the other evening my wife made the comment that they must be comfortable boots as it was going on 8:00pm and I had forgotten to take them off after my evening commute.

I got a deal on them off ebay but if there is no deal available when it comes time to replace these I will pay full retail if I have to. Into the third year now and still looking good so I don't know when they will need replaced.

Jerry Johnston

I second Cruiser Works. They're as comfortable as a pair of shoes. I've been through some very heavy downpours wearing them with no leaks.

Mine are now about 5yrs old.

Archived