IGNORED

Hot, hot riding - breeze or no?

Sailorlite

Mesh gear, smaller windshields, helmet vents, etc., all to increase the flow of air over my poor perspiring skin - but, does it really help when the ambient temp is over 100 deg.?

Two observations come to mind (mine, anyway). 1. It seems residents of North Africa, for example, favor those flowing white robes, not mesh, for general outdoor wear. 2. In those household "convection" ovens, blowing the air around speeds the roasting process.

Given that I'm just sitting there, not really exercising, wouldn't I remain cooler with relatively little airflow (enough only to evap. sweat) than with a "cooking" flow? i'm thinking that a riding jacket, for example, might be less uncomfortable in hot weather if it simply reflected radiant heat rather than admitted lots of hot air.

Are we dealing with the opposite of the "wind chill" effect - where in these cases 100 deg. could feel like 120 deg.?

Desert dwellers need to conserve moisture because there is usually so little drinking water available. Dehydration can sneak up on you (often a headache is a warning sign), but if you have plenty of water to stay hydrated, a mesh jacket works great.

Except in conditions of high humidity, a wet t-shirt, long or short sleeve, is a great help if you have decent air flow. I haven't tried it yet, but I suspect that a long-sleeve wicking shirt would work better than cotton. There are specialized cooling shirts and vests, but that's just more stuff to pack. I tried the evap-o-dana type things, but a plain old bandana works just as well and can be used for other purposes.

When it's really hot, the single most effective thing I have found is to stop at a fast food place, dump some ice into a dry bandana, roll it up (crush if necessary), then tie the bandana around my neck. The ice melts slowly, followed by evaporative cooling, and only lasts for an hour or so in really hot weather, but cools the blood to the brain, which can be critical for avoiding heat stroke. I have had heat stroke only once, and believe me, it's not something you want to have happen while riding.

My $.02

Until they come up with a useable affordable air conditioning system for a motorcycle, I choose mesh.

I have both a Cortech GX Sport textile jacket and a GX-Air mesh.

I got the mesh after riding one time in 100+ weather for a day. At freeway speeds, the sport is not too bad with all the vents open considering that the fairing on the RT blocks a lot of air. It's when I'm moving at sub 60 mph speeds that I start suffering, and forget about it if stopped.

The GX-Air (or any other mesh presumably) on the other hand doesn't rely on moving fast for air flow. Even stopped, any breeze blows through the mesh helping to cool me via evaporation.

My feeling is that if the air can't get to it, sweat just makes you wet. That's even true when the breeze is 100 degree air.

As far as flowing white robes, Do those come with CE aproved armor? :rofl:

In a desert environment with temps over 100F, mesh is really counterproductive. You loose too much fluid. Controlled venting is much better. Plus, convection works the wrong way. Especially if you're using a cooling vest. Too cold and not long enough if used with mesh. For short periods of time, mesh is ok but just don't push it, you'll get dehydrated. I've ridden many hours at 110F+ with my Belstaff and a cooling vest. Just about the right amount of venting. With my Savannah II, I even close the sleeve zippers above 100 with a cooling vest. Above 100 in high humidity, I take a flight home!!

From what I've observed, I agree with the above posts that mesh beats enclosed clothing; however, when it is really hot and humid, nothing works for me when riding slowly through towns or heaven forbid stuck in traffic. Even high speeds are uncomfortable when it's humid.

When it's not humid, evaporation works really well even at mild speeds. I've ridden in hot (>95) dry weather with my Stich, and just dumping a bottle of water over my T-shirt and opening the limited vents on the Stich worked wonders. It only lasts for 40-60 minutes, so you have to replay the scenario often. Still beats the crap out of boiling.

I think color makes a difference. My summer jacket is a black Dainesse mesh/vented jacket. My next jacket will be silver because the black really bakes in the sun, and is very noticeable when stopped.

Joe Frickin' Friday
In a desert environment with temps over 100F, mesh is really counterproductive. You loose too much fluid. Controlled venting is much better.

Since I ride with a Camelbak, I'm not too concerned about losing too much fluid. But I agree with the idea of controlled venting. Evaporative cooling works nicely, but if you replace that evaporatively-cooled air too rapidly with smokin' hot fresh air, the two trends fight each other.

I've ridden in stupid-hot conditions before, and noticed that my face was actually hotter if I opened my helmet's visor than if I kept it closed. The slight movement of air through the helmet's vent was enough to get rid of my own heat through evaporative cooling, without introducing a major flow of hot air.

Likewise, mesh gear is pretty good in painfully hot weatherIt's the compromise between an airtight insulating wrap and bare skin, much like the loose wraps of porous fabric worn by desert dwellers.

malcolmblalock

I like mesh in hot conditions here in NC. However, two years ago in Utah, the temperature was 115+, and the heat felt on the skin was such that it was much cooler to keep the air from touching your skin. Head was much cooler with the faceshield closed than with it open. Air touching the wrist was hotter than if covered.

So, my feeling is that it depends on how hot it is. If too hot, fully clothed is cooler than mesh. If not so hot mesh is best...

beemerman2k

Here in New England, where the air is almost always full of moisture, I need a breeze to ride in the heat. So I die behind the fairing on my bike. But in the Southwest, where the air is bone dry, no breeze please! That's when I am thankful for the protection on my RT.

Trust me, get yourself a cooling vest. These days, they are reasonably priced, quite thin, take up no space (you can use them as a layer on cool mornings!) and easy to 'recharge' on the road.

Weather dependent, I use them under my Mesh jackets and also under my FG Speed Jacket (not mesh but nicely vented).

Deb and I use them all the time in TX heat :thumbsup:.

Did someone say motorcycle air conditioner...

http://entrosys.com/

Well, I don't have ac, but living here in Texas, hot is a way of life. My bike has a shelf. I strap a spray bottle on it;s side during the summer. As I am riding, every few minutes and at every stop, I reach up and spray some moisture my way... The water gets hot fast, so every time I stop I try to drop a couple of cubes of ice from my camelback into the bottle..

Given that I'm just sitting there, not really exercising, wouldn't I remain cooler with relatively little airflow (enough only to evap. sweat) than with a "cooking" flow? i'm thinking that a riding jacket, for example, might be less uncomfortable in hot weather if it simply reflected radiant heat rather than admitted lots of hot air.

If the temps were over 90 degrees you'll be more comfortable with as little airflow as possible and a source of added moisture in your gear, ie. Hoon Cooler or soaking wet sweatshirt. All zipppers on your outer jacket would be closed shut.

If you help your bodies natural air conditioning system do it's job, air passing over moisture on the skin, you'll be more comfortable.

RichEdwards

Mesh works in a hot, humid climate...such as the one found here in Florida. When the temperature is 95 (it nearly never gets hotter than that in FL), but the humidity is over 90%, dehydration is not a big issue. Most of my motorcycle gear is mesh and it works fine for 75% of the year in Florida. Of course, I drink lots of water when it gets warm. But the sweat produced does not evaporate instantly as it does in dry desert climates.

Like Rich said, humidity is more of a factor than temperature reading in most cases.

I use a cooling vest in many hot weather rides.

I also agree that hydration is paramount.

I use a drinking tube as I don't like the feel of camelbacks.

But, accomplishes the same thing, provides constant acces to water.

Yes, water.

Better than most for rides.

Every now and then add a Nuun tablet if sweating.

Avoid caffeine.

Take more breaks.

It is doable.

I'll be curious about the UN riding conditions, summer, altitude, not sure about humididty.

There was one short (300mi) trip I took where I had room for my mesh jacket. Sweating miserably inside my stich, at 105F, I stopped and put on the mesh. Wow. it was great for 5 miles on the interstate, then I was dry and hot. So take your pick - wet and hot or dry and hot. they'te both hot. You'll dehydrate yourself in short order with the mesh. last year I went x-c, and used only my 'stich jacket with vents open and a cooling vest. Worked as good as anything out there. you'll be suprised at how often you need to re-wet the vest. Without the vest, you'd have to drink all that. Better to load up the vest. Also, when it's that hot, get a motel room with a/c and take a shower - best hot riding tip I ever got.

Option #2: ride at night instead. pre-dawn and dawn are best (minus deer, etc.), and there's very little traffic.

For my cooling vest I carry a small trash bag.

When I stop and refuel, I carry vest into washroom with the bag.

Fill bag (w/vest in it) w/cold water in the sink.

Just enough to resoak the vest in the bag.

Carry this out and you don't make a mess or leave water tracks in the store.

Put it on a pannier.

When leaving follow directions for excess water and put vest on.

Never had a problem except one time a fellow told me my bike was leaking because the top of the bag had ended up facing down and some water trickled out.

This was on a boxer.

:grin:

For my cooling vest I carry a small trash bag.

When I stop and refuel, I carry vest into washroom with the bag.

Fill bag (w/vest in it) w/cold water in the sink.

Just enough to resoak the vest in the bag.

Carry this out and you don't make a mess or leave water tracks in the store.....

That's an excellent idea. After reading this post I'm getting closer to a cooling vest, and this makes it even more reasonable.

I'll add to that......I keep our CV's in gallon Freezer bags.

I soak the vests, allow the excess to drain out then fold them up, put them in the bags and then in the fridge overnight.

I put them in the top box until they are needed. To rehydrate them, just use the gallon Freezer bag again to add water to them. Allow time to soak it up and away you go :thumbsup:

Mesh works in a hot, humid climate...such as the one found here in Florida. When the temperature is 95 (it nearly never gets hotter than that in FL), but the humidity is over 90%, dehydration is not a big issue. Most of my motorcycle gear is mesh and it works fine for 75% of the year in Florida. Of course, I drink lots of water when it gets warm. But the sweat produced does not evaporate instantly as it does in dry desert climates.

Yup. I use an Intake 2 about 9 months of the year, a non-mesh when it gets cold (Dec.-Feb.). Full face helmet, OEM shield. Helmet stays closed most of the time though I do crack it open at around-town speeds (Shoei X1100 with tinted visor). Airflow at any speed is enough to keep me comfortable, even at 90+ F & 90%+ humidity.

You could take the shield off if you need more air, I suppose. Probably look a bit odd, though.

I think color makes a difference. My summer jacket is a black Dainesse mesh/vented jacket. My next jacket will be silver because the black really bakes in the sun, and is very noticeable when stopped.

Why is it that most riding jackets and pants are black or dark gray? I've been searching for years for a pair of nice riding pants in some color other than black or dark gray...not much out there to choose from. Especially if you're looking for short lenghts.

Same with helmets, the dark colors are heat magnets. +1 on the Camelbak, great invention. What I'll do is fill it half full then lay it in the freezer, next morning fill it the rest of the way with water. The ice helps keep me cool as t cools the water down.

If you are looking for light, reflective color riding clothing try Olympia Moto Sports. I use their silver riding pants which are cooler than dark colors, armored at knees and hips, and also the legs zip off to convert to shorts when you've reached your destination, Most of the major jacket manufacturers make at least one model in silver mesh. I have a Vanson silver mesh jacket for hot weather. It doesn't even have a collar. But it has the necessary armor and their mesh is as strong as steel.

In my experience, a silk or polyester T shirt under the jacket cools better than cotton because it wicks perspiration away from the skin and allow faster evaporation. In really hot weather, I stop every 1 1/2 hours to soak the shirt and to pour water into my helmet. The sponge in the helmet absorbs the water and keeps the head cool for an hour or so. It makes for a messy helmet but it is effective.

Not black enough?

41m7DZ5fp9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

TourMaster

Hi vis, silver, off-white, light grey, and all the custom 'Stitch colors are available.

Archived