IGNORED

Modify Helmet

Dave Faria

GA you all. I'm planning my cross country trip and thinking abt modifying my helmet for wind noise and my radio. I'm looking for ideas on how to do it or where can I get parts for what I want to do. What I want to do is install a set of cover the ear muff type head phones. What I was thinking is using a sheet metal type locking latch like you would see on an exterior airplane door. I was going to shape a piece of plastic into a cam and attach it to the latch. When I closed the latch the cam would push the muff into the helmet and seal around my ears. I would have to cut a couiple of small slots on the exterior of the helmet for the latches. Where would I find such a latch or something that would work??? I don't like ear buds.

Any ideas???

Yah, do not modify the shell of your helmet. You never told us what type of helmet you have. If that is uncomfortable or loud, find a different/better helmet! Consult your local power sports dealer, and ask to have your head measured to make sure you are getting the correct size helmet. Also, most modern helmets have different sizes of cheek pads. Make sure the top of the helmet fits your head, and then get the correct size cheek pads to un-squish your face.

Snowy.

On my Arai Quantum the top vent piece broke off. It was just nuts how much quieter the helmet was. I never put it back and like the helmet much more this way. So there may be less aggressive ways to reduce wind noise.

Ummm, wear earplugs? Like your audiologist told you too?

Faith and I have worn 1/2 earplugs (the cheap foam ones) for at least the last 100,000 miles. We have always had intercom and radio setups on the bikes we have had and we talk a LOT on the bike. The earplugs block out the wind noise that is both irritating and harmfull, and the system can be turned up more than loud enough to punch through the earplugs.

This is nothing new here. This is what most long distance riders have been recommending for many years.

Try it. A set of foam earplugs is almost free...

Archived