IGNORED

Electrify panniers of R1200RT ?

TazzyTazzy

Perhaps my searching skills are lacking, but I'm wondering if anyone has successfully electrified a pannier (I'm interested in the left side). I would like to get 12v to it - I'm not worried about how to get the power to there, that part is done through at Centech AP-1.

I thinking of some sort of "brainless" connection that involved placing metal contacts that when the panniers are on, the pannier would simply touch up against it and get power. Inside, I could charge/power whatever I needed.

Or, am I just better off getting the radio box liner and wiring something up in there? I'm worried about heat build up in there - being next to the engine and the batteries getting too warm while charging. Heat = death for batteries.

I do not have a radio, but the radio pre-wire kit is installed. I don't plan to buy the radio.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

-Mitch

If you have a topbox I think that would be an easier/cooler location. A Powerlet or similar connector through the bottom of the box should do the trick - leave a good length of slack outside so the box can be partially removed before disconnecting

I satisfy my 5v requirements with a USB lead from a 12v/5v convertor in the tail cone up into the topbox. There are also 12/19v cigarette convertors for charging laptops

My bike to bike radio is stashed in the radio box and powered from the OEM outlet by the headstock

Works for me.

They're Z 880 and Z 995M

They go in the bottom of a GIVI topcase and the luggage rack.

I think, if I'm on the right track, you could just make your own openings and put these in there and have the same type of connection that a GIVI does.

If link doesn't work, Twisted Throttle GIVI replacement parts.

R & L also sells GIVI stuff at excellent prices.

LeftCoastMan

I used this system from Powerlet to electrify my tank bag (I should post some pictures). Anyways, you could use this to run it to your panniers. You will have to do some drilling, of course.

I ran mine directly from the battery to eliminate any Canbus issues, but Powerlet has some canbus things to fix them too.

Now my iPhone, camera, and other electronics can charge in the tankbag. Seriously, this is a 30 minute job.

TazzyTazzy

Thanks for the responses guys. Really like what Fightingpiper did to his Givi case! That's exactly what I want. I'll have to look into this!

I also will check out the powerlet suggestion too. I leave the side cases on 80% of the time since I commute to work and need to carry my laptop and a few other work items.

-Mitch

• 2 weeks later...
TazzyTazzy

Ok. I've decided to the route of installing a powerlet into one of the side panniers versus the tank bag.

I rarely ever use the tank bag. 99.9% of the time, I don't ride with it. I picked it up at a great price, used. Even for weekend trips, I don't need the extra storage.

However, I want to be able to charge various things even on the weekend trips. So, I would like to electrify a side pannier with a powerlet product.

My question is, where is the best place to mount this without messing up any of the internal moving parts? Where can I drill through (then reseal) without causing damage?

Thanks for all the other suggestions and tips.

-Mitch

Peter Parts

Gawd, I've been thinking about this for many years... with no good answers. How to connect electrically heated clothes so you can walk away from the bike after forgetting to disconnect?

My best idea (kind of): magnetically-affixed mercury-wetted contacts (or whatever passes today for a durable conductive fluid that isn't poisonous).

There is also a generic mechanical solution using a disconnect-trip-cord a bit shorter than the electrical cord. But in the abstract, conflict of purposes between good electric contact and light-force disconnect

Ben

Archived