IGNORED

getting electrical power to Nuvi GPS

Bear1

I have been the lucky recepient of a new Nuvi GPS. While the thing has an internal battery, it is a rather short life battery, making continuous power a much need option. Any suggestions on the best way to get electrical power up to the GPS mounted near the handle bars?

Slyder_Steve

Bear,

You didn't mention if you've got a radio on your RT. If not, there's a power plug under the left side tupperware.

Slyder

Frustrated_Diver

To power a Nuvi 660 on my R1200RT i run the Garmin supplied cable to the PowerLet socket on the rear of the bike. Just pop the connector out of the suction mount The cord is plenty long enough to run up the side of the bike to the front of the seat where I simply tuck it in and then route it up the right side of the rails to the cradle. The RAM cradle i have has a pocket that accommodates the connector.

I considered using the supplied "cig lighter" power cord provided, but the size of the plug, plus the need to add an adapter to the end of it to fit into the BMW power outlet, made me believe it would stick out considerably from the bike. Using the provided power cord would probably be the easiest, but I don't know how well it would work long term.

I was hoping to avoid doing any major installation work, if possible, on the bike to get power to the to GPS. I'm just a poor small business owner that has barely enough money to put gas in my bike! If the GPS hadn't been free, I wouldn't be worrying about this at all! :-)

Archived