IGNORED

Garmin 276C vs Zumo 660

Steve Kolenda

Steve Kolenda

Thinking about selling my 276C and buying a Zumo 660. Like the 276C but the Zumo appears to have some nice features. Anybody else move from to 276C to the 660 and have any comments.

Steve

Hi Steve, just sold my 376c ( it replaced my 276c ), about 3 weeks ago. Kind of a spur of the moment thing, friend bought a boat and needed a marine capable unit...

Thought I would buy a 550 since I really appreciate the 'weather' function with the XM capable Garmins, but my dealer warned me it is now listed as 'discontinued' by Garmin, and recommended the 665.

However after seeing the difference in the the screens, one non touch and brilliant, the other a 'touch' screen and not so much, I thought I had made a big mistake and started shopping for a 478c to replace my 376.

In the meantime I have been using my Nuvi 760 from the truck and sort of gotten used to the 'dull' screen, so I'm back on track for the 665.

Thats as far as I have come so far...reviews in a month or so :-).

Jim

Steve Kolenda

Jim,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The screen on the 276C is pretty nice but the Zumo appears to have some nice features also. Not sure at this time what I will do.

Steve

Yea, I hear ya...that is/was my quandary as well, nice features vs nice screen. But I'm pretty much decided to go with the 665. I'm watching the forums for feedback from folks who have had their 665's for a couple of weeks now, just in case there is something horribly wrong with it...I know the 660 has lots of detractors complaining about software glitches...hopefully the majority of the issues have been addressed in the new(er) version.

Jim

I switched from a 276c to a zumo 550 3 years or so ago. The features are great, but as a stand alone GPS unit it is very dumbed down. Doesn't have nearly the features. However, if you want music/phone it's great.

LeftCoastMan
Yea, I hear ya...that is/was my quandary as well, nice features vs nice screen. But I'm pretty much decided to go with the 665. I'm watching the forums for feedback from folks who have had their 665's for a couple of weeks now, just in case there is something horribly wrong with it...I know the 660 has lots of detractors complaining about software glitches...hopefully the majority of the issues have been addressed in the new(er) version.

Jim

Not to confuse the situation much, BUT, you can find a nice new or used 550 with the GXM30 for $300-500 less than the 665. And I have to say that the 550 is rock solid with regards to software. That being said, the 665 is cooler with a bigger screen. I still like the 550.

LeftCoastMan
I switched from a 276c to a zumo 550 3 years or so ago. The features are great, but as a stand alone GPS unit it is very dumbed down. Doesn't have nearly the features. However, if you want music/phone it's great.

Dumbed down in what way? I haven't found anything dumbed down about it, but I might not have looked at it carefully.

Not an answer to the specific question you asked, but I have a 660 and I’m not sure I’d do it over again. It does have some nice features, but oh what a price tag to go with them. And it is dumbed down from what my Quest 2 would do in some respects. In particular the ability to customize it. The Zumo is pretty much what you see is what you get. Some of the other models can be customized six ways to Sunday.

And indeed there are still some bugs in it. Garmin is still releasing update to the software though, and maybe the 665 is better sorted straight away.

Jim,

Is the only difference the XM capability?

Steve

Hi Steve, I assume you are referring to the 'differences' between the 660 and the 665...and as far as I know yes that is the major difference. Software bugs/updates aside.

But remember XM isn't only tunes, its traffic and weather as well, if you want it. And after using it for 4 years...heck yes I want it.

I was considering the 550 since as someone pointed out it is considered 'rock solid' as far as software goes. But it is also considered 'discontinued' by Garmin. Even so I shopped for a couple of weeks looking to buy one, (new), and the best price I could come up with was 525.00 and that doesn't include the GXM 30 antenna. The 665 comes with the newer GXM 40 antenna.

So for the difference of a couple of hundred dollars, ( at the most, PLUS Garmin has a $100.00 rebate on all new Zumo's after May 01st...), I figured I might as well go for the bigger screen and latest technology.

Jim

Lowest I have seen is low $800's. Most sellers (incl. Amazon) are still near MSRP ($999). Also haven't seen the 550 come down much so far ($500's in most places without XM antenna). Looks like my trusty 2730 is going to have to hang in there for a while longer...

• 3 months later...

Jim

I have owned a 276c for a number of trouble free years. I was very satisfied with the unit but I purchased a new '10 RT and thought the 660/665 series Zumo would be a good addition. Without trying one out first I bought the 665 because of the XM nav-weather feature. It mounts nicely using BMW mount and overall works very good. It does have one major shortcoming vs the 276C to me and that is screen viewability. The 276C is much more viewable in direct sunlight or glare. I believe both have TFT screens but the 276c screen is also "transflective". The difference between them is like non glare glass on a painting compared to clear glass. The light reflects more off the 276c but this can be easily fixed by adjusting the angle. The non glare surface of the the Zumo is darn near uselss in direct sun.

Steve Kolenda

For what it's worth I purchased the 665 and if I had to do it all over again I would not. Main reason, as stated above screen visibility. There are too many situations where the screen is not visible enough to read it. There are other reasons that I dislike the unit but that is the main one. I have learned my lesson. Many people think the 660 and 665 are the cats ass but I am truly disappointed.

Joe Frickin' Friday

Why do Garmin units with touch screens have such crappy image quality compared to non-touchscreen units like the 276C? My iPod Touch has a touchscreen with excellent image quality; it would seem touchscreen capability and good image quality are not mutually incompatible...

Archived