IGNORED

Mounting a Nuvi GPS

Bear1

I have an 02 RT and was looking to mount a Nuvi GPS on the bike. Checking the RAM Mounts website last night, they suggested using a mount that attached on the brake reservoir. I really don't want to mount the GPS in that location and was hoping there was some kind of mount available that would allow the GPS to be mounted somewhere near where the handle bars attach to the bike. Does such a mount exist?

And if I cannot mount the GPS near where the handle bars attach to the bike, what other options are available short of using the RAM mount on the brake reservoir?

Frustrated_Diver

Try the RAM ball, the 3” shaft, and the cradle. Cycle Gadgets sold me what i needed to mount a Nuvi 660. By replacing one of the handlebar bolts with a longer one (provided) i have the unit in a very practical place. It does obstruct the right side of the tachometer but i really don’t run in the red very often. :)

There are other good alternatives out there. I use a Migsel Mount which accepts a RAM ball, then a short arm to my Garmin. Quick and simple. Work well. Puts the GPS right in the center of your visual field so you can glance down quickly and be right back on the road.

I mounted my Garmin on top of my tank bag. Used a 4"x10" piece of aluminum, put a 45 degree bend at the end and attached the RAM cradle to it. Used wire ties to attach it to the "D" rings that were on top of the bag.

Howza bout this? Our customers really like 'em:

1150RT Techmount

321008.jpg

I'd suggest a rectangular mounting plate, as well, for better stability with the Nuvi since there's no way to bolt it on - you can use 2" wide heavy duty Velcro, and it won't go anywhere.

60996_wide_chrome_inset2.jpg

If this mount installs near the center of the handlebars, that is exactly what I am looking for. As for mounting the actual GPS, I was hoping to get use something that allowed me to share the GPS between the car and the bike. While Velcro will work in mounting the GPS to the Techmount, I don't think it will allow me to use the car mount when using the GPS in the car. I was hoping to find something like the RAM mount that allows me to "pop" the GPS out of the bracket holding on the bike so that I can use the car mount when using the GPS in the car. Is there such a mount from Techmount?

Penforhire

I've got the RAM mount they originally suggested to you (cradle from GPSCity). I like that the placement does not block my view of the instruments and the OEM RT tank bag fits fine.

RocketMoto

Bear:

The reason I suggest the wider mounting plate is you put a strip of Velcro towards the rear sides of the GPS, not in the center. This way, you can still snap it into the car cradle. Make sense?

Archived