IGNORED

Electrified BMW Tank Bag

LeftCoastMan

LeftCoastMan

I wanted to electrify my tank bag for several reasons. I have several small electronic items (cell phone, iPad, camera, etc.) that I would like to keep charged. I don't want to be unplugging one to plug in another (I'd just forget). I wanted to have them charge, even if the bike is not running. And I wanted to be able to run a good tire pump without shutting down the accessory plug circuit (which keeps happening to me).

I also wanted it to look neat, maintain the waterproof feature of the bag, and be easy to use. After looking at numerous options, including just running an accessory cable from the outlet near my tank to the bag. However, that just didn't look neat, and I think that passing it through the zipper would defeat the waterproofness.

So, I decided on the Powerlet system mounted on the rear of the bag. It's pretty easy to install, and they provide some good instructions. I didn't take any photos of doing this, but I thought some of you might find the end product interesting.

First, I wired it directly to the battery running up along the left side of the tank, exiting approximately near the rear of the tank bag. The wiring is fused, so I don't have to worry about a sudden wiring meltdown.

web.jpg

Next, I installed the connector to the rear of the tank. I'm sure I could have done it on the sides, but this was a bit cleaner from a visual perspective. I did as the instructions said, and used a soldering iron to melt the pattern so that the connector and screws would fit. It's a bit scary to melt the nylon, but it was easy, and it does cauterize the nylon, so the weave doesn't fall apart. One important watchout is to pull the internal waterproof lining away from the area which you're going to melt. You don't want to ruin the liner.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Next, I had to repeat the process on the interior. It's a bit more difficult because the liner isn't stiff like the exterior. I just used a scalpel for this part of it, because I was afraid of melting a bunch of the liner. I also put some silicone between the plate and the liner to maintain waterproofness.

web.jpg

web.jpg

Then I plugged in the adapter. I am using a dual USB auto accessory plug, which does an excellent job in charging my stuff.

web.jpg

I probably did this in an hour. I actually ran the wiring to the battery while changing out the battery to a new one, so it was a two for one job!

Search for a RV 12volt roof connector

F) RV Roof Connector.

These roof plugs are typically installed on RV roofs to allow for a

later installation of PV modules.

Very useful in portable systems as well as for installations where

you will want to remove the modules when you are away.

Standard SAE (automotive) two conductor molded connector with

12 gauge 10 inch leads.

These are very popular for use with motorcycle tank bags as well

as for bike bags.

Approximate dimensions:

flange diameter = 1-7/8", body diameter = 3/4"

bolt hole diameters = 3/16", bolt hole center to center = 1-1/2"

PRICE: ( RV RC ) $ 5.00 each

source for RV 12 volt roof connectors

Buckster

If you are looking for something even more compact this might be of interest

-Direct connect to 12 VDC system (Input voltage is DC 12V +/-4)

-Powers down to USB power requirements (DC 5V +/-0.25 and 1A max)

-Heavy Duty All Weather Design with Zippo Cap Design

-Easy to open and use

-Water Resistant, not water immersable

The compact all weather USB single power outlet/charger provides a dependable source of power/charging capability for electrical accessories using USB adapter plug. The one piece protection cap is new, attached to the outlet so it is always available, easy to open and visually attractive. The all weather straight cord is direct connecting to 12V power system, this system is engineered to power down from 12V to the USB power requirements of DC 5V +/-0.25 and 1A max.Contains a built in automatic fuse that resets itself. Great for all types of motorcycles, cars and recreational vehicles.

NOT compatible with Motorola products.

IN STOCK. $19.95 + shipping. (shipping worldwide)

http://www.burnsmoto.com/usb-power-s...atherproof.php

LeftCoastMan

I think people around here vary from those who don't want to do any work on their bike and are willing to pay the price to just "plug and play" (there are expensive bags from Bags Connection that are all electrified, and you just have to install it on your tank) to those who will scrounge for the cheapest parts and try to do it themselves. For me, the Powerlet, for me quite inexpensive but not as cheap as the ideas above, is the mid point. Easy to install, but takes some work, but I can do it the way I want.

@Kritou. Your link was bad, so here's the corrected one. My only issue with this item is that if you want to keep your stuff in your bag, you have to run the wiring through the zipper, which reduces its waterproofness. Also, it doesn't give you the option of a typical "cigarette plug" for a couple of items that need that type of plug (my camera and tire pump for example).

One reason I really like the Powerlet setup is that I can unplug the bag, and carry the bag with all my stuff to a restaurant or pit stop.

I was thinking that the fused USB dc converter would use a Powerlet plug/socket to access a tankbag and then power those 5v USB enabled devices, thereby reducing bulk inside the bag

My airpump runs from the rear aux socket which is powered directly from the battery to allow trickle charging and use by heavy draw items

RocketMoto

The USB socket from Burns could easily be fitted with a Powerlet plug or SAE plug for use in the tank bag. Powerlet have lead-end Powerlet sockets and they will make (as we do, too) leads of any configuration for the tank bag internals.

F) RV Roof Connector.

12 gauge 10 inch leads.

as for bike bags.

Approximate dimensions:

Buckster

While this looks the same as the powerlet solution, all you get is the external connector with bare cables attached and shipping was 7 bucks over the 5 for the part:

What you don't get:

Screws

Locknuts

Metal backing plate (VERY useful on a tank bag)

Battery Harness

SAE Connector attached to the wires

Internal harness

You can save a few bucks by just buying the kit without the pricey internal harness

http://www.powerletproducts.com/product/luggage-electrix-connector-pac02224-extension-cable/289

Can you make the RV one work? Yep.. I bought one. But if I added up all the time and effort I had to put into it to make it work (go to the hardware store, buy screws, nuts, SAE trailer connector to modify, wiring for harness, make a backing plate using an old washer). It certainly wasn't worth the 20 or so bucks I saved vs the powerlet solution. The second tank bag I did, I bought the powerlet kit and just made my own internal harness with the cig lighter to SAE plug.

Don't expect the RV plug to be easy unless you are a handy guy and even then, it's not worth the 20 bucks IMHO.

LeftCoastMan

F) RV Roof Connector.

12 gauge 10 inch leads.

as for bike bags.

Approximate dimensions:

Buckster

While this looks the same as the powerlet solution, all you get is the external connector with bare cables attached and shipping was 7 bucks over the 5 for the part:

What you don't get:

Screws

Locknuts

Metal backing plate (VERY useful on a tank bag)

Battery Harness

SAE Connector attached to the wires

Internal harness

You can save a few bucks by just buying the kit without the pricey internal harness

http://www.powerletproducts.com/product/luggage-electrix-connector-pac02224-extension-cable/289

Can you make the RV one work? Yep.. I bought one. But if I added up all the time and effort I had to put into it to make it work (go to the hardware store, buy screws, nuts, SAE trailer connector to modify, wiring for harness, make a backing plate using an old washer). It certainly wasn't worth the 20 or so bucks I saved vs the powerlet solution. The second tank bag I did, I bought the powerlet kit and just made my own internal harness with the cig lighter to SAE plug.

Don't expect the RV plug to be easy unless you are a handy guy and even then, it's not worth the 20 bucks IMHO.

That's my feeling on this. The powerlet solution made me feel like I was pushing my own limits of creative and skillful about a solution that I needed. But it didn't require me to source things from several places.

And I agree about the internal harness. I just need an SAE to USB+cigarette plug harness. I still think that I got a nice neat system that allows me to neatly and effectively electrify my bag.

Archived