IGNORED

06 R1200RT Lower Riding Position Options

CantinaDan

Hi folks,

Due to some significant life changes I'm selling my '06 R1200RT after 30K great miles. A potential buyer looked at the bike but was concerned about it just being too tall. He was curious about whether or not there are any stock or third party options for a lowered seat and lowered suspension for this year and model of RT.

I thought I'd ask here first! Thanks very much!

There's certainly a lowered seat option for the 06's (that's my year), because I had one originally. I didn't care for the reduced padding and didn't feel like I needed it anyway, so I traded for a stock one. So that's an option.

I believe there's someone making a lowering kit for the suspension as well but I'll leave that for someone else to comment on who has first hand knowledge. Good luck.

Dan, stock low seat should be available. I have one on my '07. I also purchased aftermarket shocks from Works Shocks. They can build a low set of shocks and spring them for the new rider. Caveat: Installing lower shocks to lower the bike more than an inch will likely require shortening the side stand and center stand. It can be done. My inseam is 29". I rode the stock RT with just the low seat (and a shortened windshield) for about 20K miles, then lowered the bike when I bought new shocks.

Good luck with your sale, your bike looks nice.

Thanks, Albert! So was that a stock lowered seat you had?

Yes, mine was BMW stock lowered version and I ordered it new with the bike. I didn't realize unitl later that BMW created a lower seat by simply removing padding from the higher seat. The results were predictable. After a little riding I realized my fears over the bike being too tall were unfounded so I made a deal with someone here on the board who wanted the lower version and we swapped. I think some of the aftermarket seat mfg's make a low version too which is where I'd be looking if it was me. Good luck.

I had the same issue I tried out a 06 and freaked out at how tall it was. It also had a Mayer seat on it so that just added to the problem. (comfortable but tall) I got the BMW low seat and it's ok for short trips (2 hrs. or less) the biggest problem for me is I feel like I'm sitting on the edge of the seat where it joins the pillion. I am thinking hard about getting the New Corbin Low seat. BTW I have a 28.5 inseam and can handle the bike fine, but on the balls of my feet. Being this short I have never flatfooted a bike unless I was 2 up. Bmw also makes a 1 piece lower seat and a "comfort seat" that's between the Low and Lower were talking a .25' or so. Feel free to have your buyer PM me i'll give him the short mans low down and how much i love my new RT. I spent 20 years on my Katana.

I'm awaiting the delivery of the Corbin Low Seat for my 06 RT. It's scheduled for delivery today. So as soon as I try it out, I'll post my preliminary review.

As an update:

I just received the Corbin Low Seat on Tues, so I haven't had a chance to test ride it yet. But it was a pain making the seat fit properly on the bike. I called Corbin and they gave me some tips to make it fit a little easier. According to them, even the fit has to be broken in. I eventually made it fit, but when you pay $600+ for a seat, it should fit easily from the start.

As far as the quality of the build, it looks very solid. The seat cover isn't just stapled on. It's actually rivetted on. The pan itself is very strong, much stronger than the stock pan. Quality of leather is very good. I've read past reviews about the seat being too hard/firm, but it looks like Corbin has addressed that issue as the foam is not too hard nor too soft.

As for the seat height, it does sit just slightly lower than the low position, but not by that much. What makes the big difference is that they make the front very narrow, so your ground reach is made easier. My Bill Mayer seat is definitely wider, so that's where the difference lies. I'm 5'5" with about a 28" inseam. With the Corbin, I'm completely flat footed on one foot with a little cushion to spare. On both feet, I'm on the balls of my feet comfortably. So it is an improvement over the Bill Mayer seat. When I put the Bill Mayer seat on the low position, the seating position is slightly slanted forward, which makes it a bit uncomfortable on long rides. With the Corbin, which only has one position, the seat is evenly leveled, which makes it more comfortable.

I'll probably do a test ride on Monday for a couple of hours. I'll post a review and some pics afterward. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to take it on a long ride sometime soon as well.

Had not heard that the BMW low seat is simply a standard seat minus some padding. While credible, is this factual? (no disrespect to Albert intended, just seeking confirmation)

The reason I ask is that I'm considering getting a Russell seat built on my low seat pan...but if the standard seat pan is the same pan as the low seat pan, i won't be gaining a damn thing in ground reach vs the standard seat, might even be losing some (raising effective seat height)...grrrr

Archived