IGNORED

Zumo 550 & Autocom. Pairing & making calls

CraigT

I've used the autocom (Active 7 Smart) system for a few years now without any problems, other than having to change the phone lead everytime I change phone. However now I'd like to change over to bluetooth and I'm having a few difficulties in getting the system able to make calls.

Ever since I've had the Zumo, I've been able to see all the good functions that the bluetooth can provide and even make calls from it too, but never had the microphone bit sorted, so until recently I've simply relied upon the phone being plugged in. I have recently purchased a bluetooth dongle from autocom that would have apparently solved all my issues to be told it's the wrong one, and I've now got the replacement 'starcom' unit from Autocom that does pair with either phone or Zumo. From the instructions I have carreid out the following actions:

1. Pair phone with Zumo. OK

2. Pair Starcom unit with Zumo. OK (however this has to be set as the 'headset' on the bluetooth zumo settings.

3. With the above arrangment I get no audio unless I set the pZumo to audio Phone Only. This way I get navigation and music again.

But still unable to to get the phonecalls through the autocom and almost at the stage where there'll be flying nokia's and sat navs around my garage.

What am I missing?, I've been assured every time I speak with Autocom that it's just a case of pairing and the rest will take of itself.

Any pointers?

RocketMoto
I have carreid out the following actions:

1. Pair phone with Zumo. OK

2. Pair Starcom unit with Zumo. OK (however this has to be set as the 'headset' on the bluetooth zumo settings.

3. With the above arrangment I get no audio unless I set the pZumo to audio Phone Only. This way I get navigation and music again.

But still unable to to get the phonecalls through the autocom and almost at the stage where there'll be flying nokia's and sat navs around my garage.

What am I missing?, I've been assured every time I speak with Autocom that it's just a case of pairing and the rest will take of itself.

Any pointers?

You are using a BTM-01 Bluetooth module, correct? You have it powered from a switched 12 volt source on the bike, right? The audio lead is plugged into the Phone socket, not the Music socket on the Active7, correct?

It sounds like you have a Zumo 660, not a 550, correct? If a 660, you need to pair to the BTM-01 under the 'phone' profile, not the 'audio' profile on the Zumo BT settings screen. If it does pair up, you'll see the headset icon on the top of the Zumo's screen. Is it there? Basically, your BTM-01 module looks like a 'headset' to the Zumo. The BTM-01 does not have an A2DP stereo music profile, so you will not be able to stream stereo music from the Zumo, but that's such a big deal because the Phone socket on the Autocom is mono audio, only.

From what I gather, it does sound like you've got this part working, in that you hear audio turn-by-turn and possibly music from the Zumo in the headset of the Autocom - just verifying, here.

Now, if you've paired the Nokia to the Zumo, you'll see a phone handset icon at the top of the Zumo's screen - do you? If we have these pieces, then we'll move on...

You say you 'cannot get calls'. When someone rings the mobile, does the incoming call indication appear on the Zumo screen? Do you hear the phone ringing in the Autocom headset? If so, and you press the 'answer' button on screen, what happens? Does the phone answer? Do you get one-way audio, you can hear caller, but they cannot hear you, or vice-versa?

Now, if you try to call out thru the Zumo, and you enter a number and press 'dial' does the phone actually place the call?

Not that it'd make a difference, but it's always a good idea - have connected the Garmin to your computer and run the Garmin Web Updater to insure that you have the most updated software, which invariably has Bluetooth updates from Garmin.

So, please reply back and let me know.

Are you aware of the need for TWO cables to the Zumo bike mount?

One is for Audio Out. The other is for Audio IN... kindly look at page 50 of the Zumo Manual where it shows the 3.5mm jack for Audio OUT and the 2.5 mm jack for audio IN.

Maybe this is your problem.

My Autocom system works perfectly.

Pair Phone B/T to Zumo.

Plug Audio Out and Audio In cables directly to Autocom unit.

Plug Headset to Autocom.

Ride.

Ii I recall correctly there is an Autocom cable with a junction for the two cables to/from the Zumo. speak to your dealer about it.

I have a block diagram around here somewhere wit Autocom part numbers. I will post something if I can find it.

You are using a BTM-01 Bluetooth module, correct? CraigT: Yes

You have it powered from a switched 12 volt source on the bike, right? The audio lead is plugged into the Phone socket, not the Music socket on the Active7, correct? CraigT Yes, all fed from canbus accessory output

It sounds like you have a Zumo 660, not a 550, correct? CraigT: No it's the 550

If a 660, you need to pair to the BTM-01 under the 'phone' profile, not the 'audio' profile on the Zumo BT settings screen. If it does pair up, you'll see the headset icon on the top of the Zumo's screen. Is it there? Basically, your BTM-01 module looks like a 'headset' to the Zumo. The BTM-01 does not have an A2DP stereo music profile, so you will not be able to stream stereo music from the Zumo, but that's such a big deal because the Phone socket on the Autocom is mono audio, only. CraigT: The little headset icon appears in the Zumo system and when checked it does state that it's paired with the Starcom unit for the headset and the nokia for the phone.

From what I gather, it does sound like you've got this part working, in that you hear audio turn-by-turn and possibly music from the Zumo in the headset of the Autocom - just verifying, here. CraigT: Yes, but only when I switch the Zumo to audio:- phone only. If I leave it on MP3 Navigation and Phone, I get nothing through the speakers

Now, if you've paired the Nokia to the Zumo, you'll see a phone handset icon at the top of the Zumo's screen - do you? If we have these pieces, then we'll move on... CraigT: Yep.

You say you 'cannot get calls'. When someone rings the mobile, does the incoming call indication appear on the Zumo screen? Craig T: Yes, all looks fine, but just no sound in teh headset.

Do you hear the phone ringing in the Autocom headset? If so, and you press the 'answer' button on screen, what happens? Does the phone answer? Do you get one-way audio, you can hear caller, but they cannot hear you, or vice-versa? CraigT: The only time I can get to hear the call being made and teh callers voice (but they can't hear me) is when I remove the BMT-01 unit from the circuit, then it's back to the way it used to be anyway.

Now, if you try to call out thru the Zumo, and you enter a number and press 'dial' does the phone actually place the call? CraigT:Yes

Not that it'd make a difference, but it's always a good idea - have connected the Garmin to your computer and run the Garmin Web Updater to insure that you have the most updated software, which invariably has Bluetooth updates from Garmin. CraigT: I've just done this and got my map updates etc last month too.

So, please reply back and let me know.

CraigT: I am trully stuck with this one and all I want is the system to be controlled from the Zumo, is it not a simple case of getting the microphone output from the autocom to the Zumo? As I've tried several combination with and wituout leads, changing settings, I even tried bluetooth direct from phone to BMT-01 thinking this would work, but got total silence too.

This sounds like what I want to do. I've spent £85 on Part 1273, then told this is no use for my Autocom system and I need a BMT-01 (£65) and can't get the little blighter working.

I was aware a while back about getting the phone out on teh autocom to the zumo for this operation, but I thought that the additional bluetooth device took this into account. At present I'm £150 down and no further forward. If I can run an aditional lead between the units then that's what I want to do.

I'll make this point when I call the dealer.

thanks

I had the option to use the B/T dongle, but my dealer told me flat out... get the wires and be done with it. I do have the AVI Pro 7 so I might have different inputs than yours.

After re-reading all of the above I wonder if there is something else amiss. Can you use the Zumo in your car mount with the phone B/T'd to the zumo? If so then at least we know the unit works properly.

In case you were not aware, your automobile mount has a microphone in it so you can B/T the phone in the automobile mount and send receive calls hands-free... well at least not holding the phone. You still have to use the touch screen.

RocketMoto

Craig:

Thanks for the additional detail. It sounds as if you have done quote bit and I can easily understand your frustrations, here.

Couple of thoughts... You said you paired the phone to the BTM-01, with the Zumo out of the picture, and you still don't get audio. Can you not hear, not be heard, or both?

If both, may I suggest that we try to eliminate one piece at a time? If the phone works wired from Autocom Phone socket to the Nokia and you have two-way audio (please confirm that, again), then maybe we can try this with another mobile phone = not a Nokia, but something completely different, LG, Samsung, Sony, BlackBerry, iPhone, whatever. If we get two-way audio, then try to pair the test phone to the Zumo and the Zumo to the BTM-1, deleting any previous pairings in all devices.

If that functions, then there may be a Bluetooth update for your phone. Bluetooth certainly has some issues, and you may well have discovered one. Not every device is compatible with every other device. It is possible that you have a bodge BTM-01, as well.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks Adam, my bike is now with a 'graphics' guy getting the BMW colours added, so I'l be unable to try anything further until three or four days. I'll be contacting the dealer Tuesday and see what the response is, but if I can hard wire it with a simple link then that's the plan. I'll update on the final outcome and make sure I run through your suggestions too.

No doubt. I'll be back in touch soon when I've still not sorted it...

RocketMoto

Craig:

Let's do this...

Zumo set to 'phone only'

Pair Nokia to Zumo

Pair Zumo to BTM-01 module

BTM-01 module in the 'Phone (aux)' socket.

Zumo 3.5mm 3-pole audio out lead from cradle, into 'Music' socket on the Autocom. You may need an isolator long term, but this is good for a test.

Report back when you have your bike available.

I had the option to use the B/T dongle, but my dealer told me flat out... get the wires and be done with it.

Exactly. We’re over engineering this. You end up with having to have wires from the dongle to the Autocom anyway, so why not just wire from the Zumo to the Autocom and be done with it? BT phone to the Zumo + wire with an ground isolator Zumo to the Autocom = done + works perfect.

BluegrassPicker
I had the option to use the B/T dongle, but my dealer told me flat out... get the wires and be done with it.

Exactly. We’re over engineering this. You end up with having to have wires from the dongle to the Autocom anyway, so why not just wire from the Zumo to the Autocom and be done with it? BT phone to the Zumo + wire with an ground isolator Zumo to the Autocom = done + works perfect.

I had it wired to the headset, then went with the bluetooth to eliminate noise I was getting in the headset ( even with an isolator )

Like I suggested several pages ago... My set up is exactly like the diagram suggested above but without the home-made isolator. Mine is quiet in the stock mode.

Guys, thanks all for the much valued responses. After all the trying of the many variants you can have with settings and pairings, thanks to a friend who is between bikes (I borrowed his autocom) I have discovered my Autocom unit is faulty.

I have purchased another and will no doubt be back asking why I cant pair up the systems again...

Thanks for all those that contributed. A true fountain of knowledge.

Archived