IGNORED

Big Mak Tank Bag

BSAtoBMW

Just got the Big Mak tank bag for the R1200RT. Fits the BMW plate but is much smaller than the stock BMW bag. I've been looking for something like this from the first day I got the BMW tank bag.(Too big)

Perfect fit..great product IMHO.

John Bentall

Not exactly a bargin.

Not exactly mass-produced either! Wish I had never sold mine.

beemerboy

I bought mine eight years ago and it's faded but still holding up. Heck, at this point we've been through so much together I don't know if I could part with it but them new ones sure look purty!

russell_bynum

Not exactly a bargin.

Yup. It's all hand-made. Very high quality stuff, too. I had over 70,000 miles on mine when I sold the bike (and the tankbag) and it was still going strong. I forget who bought the bag from me, but I'd be willing to bet they've put a bunch of miles on it too.

Also, Mark (Big Mak) is a good guy, and a rider. He understands what we want from our equipment not only because he listens to us an makes adjustments/changes/additions to fit our needs, but because he's out there using the stuff himself.

I'm a card-carrying certified Cheap Bastard. If I can save a few bucks, I'll do it. Three areas that I spent the $$ and never regretted it:

Good aftermarket suspension

Big Mak tankbag

Valentine One radar detector

Penforhire

They'd sure sell a bunch more if they came up with their own reasonably priced baseplate. Heck, I'd buy one. But not if I have to sacrifice an OEM bag just for the plate!

Indy Dave
They'd sure sell a bunch more if they came up with their own reasonably priced baseplate. Heck, I'd buy one. But not if I have to sacrifice an OEM bag just for the plate!

His site notes that he is working on a baseplate for the R12RT.

Not exactly a bargin.

Actually I was referring to the cost of having to buy the BMW tank bag first to get the base plate for the Big Mak. I agree that the bag is a quality product and service is great. I recently replaced the base tongue with an aluminum one on my '04RT and am even happier.

---

I waiting until my factory bag was looking pretty "used" then bought one of the BigMak bags and used the old baseplate. The size is perfect for weekend riding. One of the complaints I've always had about the BMW Bag is that it's just ONE BIG BAG, but I love the mounting plate.

That being said, the BMW bag also holds a crapload of stuff. I ended up picking up a lightly used BMW bag from the site here and now I have the best of both worlds. A smaller BigMak bag on the BMW mounting plate for local riding and the ONE BIG BAG from BMW for long trips where I want the storage.

The BigMak one is *very* nicely made... good stuff.

Archived