IGNORED

Fitting an Autocom

Harkers

Hi Guys

I've just traded up from an 1150RT to an 07 1200RT with radio/cd. My old bike had an Autocom fitted and I hate not riding without the radio/music playing in my ears. When I bought the bike the BMW dealer quoted me £550 to fit an autocom! They tried to justify it by saying how complicated it is with the canbus and removing the plastics blah blah blah... Once I finished laughing I thought I'd install my own but now I'm nervous...

It looks like many of you have autocoms fitted and I really can't see that it would be that difficult (I'm thinking a centech fuse box is they way to go along with an audio switch). Any suggestions/recommendations on best way to fit one - wiring into the aux power socket? Also if wired directly to the battery does it not drain the battery as there is no off switch?

Cheers

Harkers

I think that will just about cover my ticket, I'll fly to you and install it free of charge!

I installed a Super Pro AVI on my RT. At first, I took power from the Aux Socket wiring. It was a bit noisy, so then I went straight to the battery with a plug in the middle to disconnect when I wasn't using it. Then one day I left that plug connected and two weeks later I got a new battery. So then I got a Centech with a wiring kit from Eastern Beaver.

It's important to get all your sources and the intercom straight to the fuse box to avoid noise. I ran my cables up to my zumo on the left side of the bike, along the top of the motor with some other factory wires that took a similar path. My Autocom was in the very tail of the bike. I had to use an isolated cable to avoid a whine from the Zumo input. You can use an Autocom isolated cable, or get one at an automotive electronics shop.

If you search for autocom I made several posts while installing mine that you may find helpful.

It kind of depends what your longer term plans are. If you expect you will be adding other powered stuff over time (kind of a rhetorical question for most of us!); bite the bullet and install a fuse block of some kind. OTOH if your Autocom will be your only device, power off of the aux socket will work.

Forget about all the “CANBus” scare talk. Power is power.

marcopolo

My Autocom, located under the rider's seat, takes power from the rear accessory socket. Obviously, it (Autocom) powers down once power is cut to the socket (about 5-10 mins after switching off the bike's ignition).

My Autocom, located under the rider's seat, takes power from the rear accessory socket. Obviously, it (Autocom) powers down once power is cut to the socket (about 5-10 mins after switching off the bike's ignition).

Your aux power stays on for 5-10 minutes Mark? How come...mine is exactly 60 seconds, front or rear socket.

Jim

marcopolo

Your aux power stays on for 5-10 minutes Mark? How come...mine is exactly 60 seconds, front or rear socket.

Jim

Don't know Jim; it's always done that. In fact, my Rider's Manual says "...the supply to the power socket is cut off approximately 15 minutes after the ignition is switched off...". I also checked the manual for the 2010 RT (available online) and it also says 15 minutes.

Thanks for the comments guys

Is the wiring in place for the rear auxilary socket even if the socket is blanked off/not fitted?

I've also got to fit the audio switch as I have the radio fitted so that's going to be fun!

Krussell I'm suprised your battery was drained as I was led to believe the autocom wasn't powered until the rider unit was connected (it is on the new models but maybe not on the earlier ones).

Krussell I'm suprised your battery was drained as I was led to believe the autocom wasn't powered until the rider unit was connected (it is on the new models but maybe not on the earlier ones).

It draws less power without the headset plugged in, but it still draws some. I did not measure it, but it's enough.

Archived