IGNORED

What is your favorite mesh jacket?

Rain Man

Greetings. I've riden nakeds for years and discovered how much weather protection the RT offers after picking mine up toward the end of last summer. That weather protection is great in cooler temps, but now I'm looking for a mesh textile jacket for summer riding. My leather is just too hot when the mercury climbs.

I'm considering the Rev'it Air, but I was curious if the cost difference between it and something like the Fieldsheer Hi Flow II or Tourmaster Draft Air is justified. What is your favorite mesh riding jacket?

FirstGear MeshTex w/ CE armor

PS (get any color except Black and maybe red, less radiant energy absorbtion)

One that fits. Seriously, if you have the option to try on several different jackets, do so. I like 3/4 length jackets, and was impressed with an Olympia mesh jacket that I tried on last year. Who knows what's "in" this year. A FG mesh jacket held up well on a ride to Alaska and back, and stayed together during a 100 foot slide down asphalt when I hit a deer in 2007. My current jacket is a 3/4 length FG mesh jacket, and I am impressed with both the construction and the armor. As others have said, go for a light color.

My wife and I had First Gear Mesh Techs now for about 4 years. Good jackets, but...

I wear a jacket for coverage. So I wanted a 3/4 length one with CE armor and a waterproof liner AND pockets.

Take a look at the OSI line. My wife and I got the Navigators. Perfect fit. Unbelievably comfortable. 3/4 lenth. Very cool in hot weather. Water proof liner and neck/wrist gaskets actually are waterproof also. And they have a ton of pockets!

And they are inexpensive...

My two cents worth.

I have the revit air. It works well and with liner and layers easily doable under 50 degrees. But as Selden says, try different things on and find one that fits, feels good, etc. If I were to do it again I would give the Olympia a shot.

moto port air mesh, best protection, and in my opinion and experience best value. Cost's more up front, but will last a lifetime ( I mean that litterally) and is completely repairable in case of accident. I even had my pants "let out" a little when the seemed to have shrunk.

www.motoport.com I have the grey with lime green reflective. Very noticeble jacket when I commute. Takes time to break the air mesh in, but it conforms to your body, and becomes a second skin.

I can wear a light silk long sleve shirt, gerbings jacket, air mesh and frogg togg and be comfortable down to 35 degrees.

with micro fiber, wicking shirt and just jacket I am good up to 80 degrees even in stop and go traffic. If I am moving up to 90 is tolerable. In my opinion for were I live, Atlanta, GA, the air mesh gear is almost a true 4 season outfit.

Penforhire

I was using a Joe Rocket Phoenix (version 2) when temps got over 102-ish. Dirt cheap, good armor, and flows air like you're wearing nothing.

But I started to get paranoid about crash worthiness (not the armor, but the fabric is LIGHT). So on super-hot days I'm now using an Alpinestars T-Stunt Air. I feel much better about the construction. My only real complaint is less air flow than the Phoenix, especially along the lower arms.

Thanks, fellas. I was curious who had good experience with what. I'm a fan of the 3/4 length jackets too, so I'm off to scout local shops for the best fit. Cheers.

Derek

Darien jacket and pants for early spring and fall and have a BMW Airflow 3 jacket and pants for the summer months. Add LDComfort and all is good!

Whilst enjoying past Texas summers, I've had perforated leather, Joe Rocket Phoenix, and First Gear Mesh jackets. I have sold/given all of those away and am in my second summer with a Motoport Mesh Kevlar. It's a bit stiff at first, but it's a custom fit and amazingly durable...feels almost as comfortable as leather and by most accounts, is nearly as durable as leather.

YMMV

Matts_12GS

I have the Olympia 1 piece stealth mesh suit.

It's comfortable and works well enough here in Florida. If it had a liner I could add in for rain it might be the perfect suit for most of my riding.

I've got the Olympia Bushwacker 3/4 and I noticed that a lot of riders like the O Airglide. Is this not just the shorter length version of the Bushwacker, in terms of material and air flow qualities?

I have the hi viz yellow. I figure if I have to wear a jacket, I might as well be seen.

+1 for FirstGear MeshTex :thumbsup:

Wifey has a Rev'it Air and loves it.....I really like my FG's. I also wear a FG Leather Mesh Tex which is REALLY good but they don't make it any more :cry:!

I've worn a BMW VENTING MACHINE JACKET for three years & can strongly recommend it in terms of both protection & comfort.

Not cheap (I think around $450) but it's held up well & has proven to be the the best jacket I've found for the Texas heat.

Review HERE: (price is $400)

RichEdwards

I'm a Mesh Jacket junkie. I owned a BMW Airflo, still own a First Gear Mesh Tex and a Revit Mesh Jacket. But the best mesh jacket out there is the Olympia Mesh Jacket. I have two of them and they are fantastic for hot, summer riding. Best combo of air flow and protection out there and not insanely expensive like some of the others. The waterproof inside-jacket that comes with it is also excellent and makes this jacket good for rain or cool weather down to about 50 degrees.

This is probably heresy to mention on here but my Harley H2O is most comfortable mesh I have owned. Good ventilation supplemented by pockets which can be wetted in very hot weather for mor cooling. No garish HD logos either.

I'll second the Olympia line.

But, I don't wear it.

Why?

Because I require Tall sizes.

Oly doesn't do them.

TourMaster Intake, 2 stage liner for cold and wet works for my build.

I really like my Cortecth gx air. A mesh jacket that has leather on the shoulders,elbow,back. Has rain liner,thermal liner. When It gets cold I have a heated liner. Real hot, I have a water cooler type vest.Check year end clearance or sales. Might get for 150.00.Reflective piping . A good looking jacket that makes your shoulders look broad and a adjustable waist to make look smaller than it might be.This is good.I hope you find what your happy with the first try.

eaglemike

I've owned First Gear Kili Air, and the similar Hein Gericke. Both are excellent jackets.

If you want the best, considering airflow, protection and quality of construction, I've never seen anything even close to Motoport kevlar mesh. Flows a LOT of air. Not cheap, but waaay better than the other stuff I've seen.

all the best,

Mike

RocketMoto

Well, I have two, really. My *favorite* is a light weight Dainese mesh short length jacket. It works well - although I've never crash tested it.

Now, for what I feel offers the best crash protection, is my MP Air Mesh Kevlar. For styling, it's a dog. Form follows function with the garment - I mean, really follows a long way behind. It does flow air like wearing no jacket at all - 'cept when I'm not moving, of course. The extra $ is worth it to keep my hide attached, IMO. I mean, how far does $500 go in the emergency room? That's the cost of an aspirin tablet. :eek:

I have owned a Firstgear Torrent mesh jacket for two summers now and I like it a lot. I have been fortunate not to have tested the crash worthiness but I can tell you it flows air just fine. With a t-shirt on underneath I can feel any significant breeze on my arms when stopped.

I've worn quite a few mesh jackets over the years and for hot weather the best I've found is the Vanson I wear now. The company is mostly known for quality leather jackets, but this mesh one is about the minimum you can wear (it does not even have a collar) and still have a jacket on. It is fully padded and their mesh is a very strong chain link type fabric. I chose the silver/grey because it reflects heat better than the black version.

Archived