IGNORED

Riding suit vs. helmet

blackyam

Hi, y'all. I've heard it said that a helmet should be changed about every 5 years regardless of its apparent condition. What about a riding suit: should it be changed about every N years regardless of its apparent condition? N = ? I have a Roadcrafter that I bought about 12 years ago that, except for a little fraying along the edges of the cuffs, seems to be OK still. Should I change it anyway or may I use it until it is clearly worn through somewhere? TIA.

---John.

I'd get a set of new protection pads for it,but as for the suit itself,wear it till it starts to fall apart!

JR356

You might check with Aerostitch. I know they offer a clean and inspect service. They also may have thoughts on useful life.

LeftCoastMan
Hi, y'all. I've heard it said that a helmet should be changed about every 5 years regardless of its apparent condition.

In lieu of all other information, 5 years is correct. But if you have a helmet with say a six or seven year guarantee, then you can use it that long. Or if it has a four year, then you get four years.

My shoei X-11 has a five year warranty, so I will replace it after 5 years. Expensive.

John Bentall

Repeated tests have shown that the weakest link is often the stitching - not the material. Give the manufacturers a call.

I just sent my 8 year old Darien jacket and pants to the factory for inspection and some upgrades. They called me and we discussed the work needed and I had it back in 3 days! Good for another 8 years :)

I've had my Stich for over 15 years with one inspection/refurbish and another planned for the end of this season. I don't see why it won't last at least another 15 years.

Hello, everyone. I took y'all's advice and wrote Aerostich. Here is their reply:

The suit does not need to be replaced if the condition is still functional.

The shoulder, elbow & knee armor does break down after 3-5 years and it would be beneficial to replace them.

Should you ever find it is in need of repairs, you can send the suit to us and for a minimal fee we will repair it.

So, I'll send my suit in for an inspection sometime and purchase new pads for it if it's still serviceable. Ta.

---John.

Archived