IGNORED

Cheap motorcycle top cases at sears

cali_beemer

moshe_levy

Before our X-country trip in 2007, my then girlfriend who was riding a 2004 R1150R was short on cash at the time, so she bought one of these (sold by JC Whitney). Short answer - you get what you pay for in this case. It didn't fit well, didn't seal well (failed my garden hose test and everything inside got soaked), looked like it was a bargain product, and overall didn't make the grade. We found a new Givi at a discount - yes, it costs more. It also survived for years until we sold the bike, and never let us down. Putting one of these cases on a BMW is like buying an Armani suit and wearing a hobo's ratty shoes with it.

-MKL

ElevenFifty

Hobo's get a lot of miles out of ratty shoes!!

My BMW case serves MOST of my needs. When I do need more luggage, I've been strapping on a standard Nelson-Rigg suitcase. That means I don't have a backrest for my pillion when we unpack and are staying somewhere for a few days.

This year and next, I plan a three week trip to the wild west and the additional space of the large Sears case would fit the bill. We usually pack in plastic bags anyway so water-tight is not required.

This is very tempting (though the price is now a whopping $79) ... any feedback on the security of the mount connection or the placement/angle of the backrest?

I got the large bag from eBay and put it on a DR650 (my fairwx commuter) and it does a great job holding my backpack, extra gloves, and jacket liner. It will hold 2 XL flip face helmets. The mount plate is as secure as a Givi and locks. That said, it's not Murphy-proof. A coworker on an FJR installed the same bag, and on day 2 or 3 while coming to work he took a left turn and the bag passed him continuing straight. He still uses it and feels secure enough with it to regularly carry a laptop. He is convinced he had not secured the bag. The backrest is a worthless plastic piece that is a only a backrest in a 10ft glance or fuzzy photo.

It's a huge bag and very popular in the Connie community. I get all kinds of nasty comments about how it ruins the lines of the DR... I love it.

installation pics here

Archived